Springs came......should I ask for a different set?

I would send them off & have them sand blasted, then maybe a nice pearl power coat.

I just got off the phone with Scott at Deaver Springs. He tried to sell me on the idea that my issues with these springs is aesthetic. I told him that no other spring company sells a spring that arrives in the conditions that his springs arrived in.

He said that he could ship me another pair, but "all Deaver springs will have cardboard stuck to them." I asked why he doesn't let them dry another day or two. No response. I asked why they don't powdercoat them and he says because it would raise the price.

Bottom line, if you want a spring that looks new when it arrives, don't order from Deaver. I wasn't looking for a pretty spring, just looking for a product to arrive in new condition.

I haven't named the company I ordered from because they simply drop-shipped the springs to me.

I've bought used coils and never even considered the paint quality

x2

This could happen to your rig in a race:
2024312760049272512S600x600Q85.jpg

Therefore it just doesn't seem logical to worry about this:
alh4.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenjO2M78I_AAAAAAAAIaM_E44LUfgrfog_s720_IMG_1636.JPG

I'm with Loki on this one. If it's used, rusty stuff I'm buying, then whatever. If it's on the "scratch and dent" shelf, then that's fine, too. If it's new, and I'm paying full price, I want the product to reflect that. And I applaud Loki for bringing it to their attention. Quality will continue to slip as long as nobody complains about it. I see an unnerving trend of people simply settling for mediocrity, to the point that they're paying premium prices for average products and services, and I dont' like it. As proud Americans, we should expect better service. And in response, we should hold ourselves to a higher standard in our jobs and day-to-day lives. I think if we did more of this, the Chinese wouldn't have the grip on our economy they currently do.

And it shouldn't matter what it's "going on." The manufacturer doesn't know who's buying it. It could have been going on a show truck or a job for a picky customer. If you were paying somebody top-dollar to build you a car and you had fisheyes in your paint, or you found those springs on it, you'd be pissed. If Deaver wants to play that card, then they need a line of "Racer Springs" that are either unpainted or sold with the understanding that it's a mediocre paint job. And if this is the best we can expect from one of our oldest USA-Made spring manufacturers, then the Chinese are winning.

They are coil springs, not some bling bling high dollar part. If YOU don't like what you recieved, then send them back and get a refund and order some others that may be powder coated and up to the standard that YOU are looking for. I am a stickler for detail on all of my stuff, sometimes overboard. I would just shoot some spray paint on them and put them on the rig because it would be less trouble than trying to send them back and re order somewhere else with the chance that they could come in scratched as well. It is not about what we would do, but about what you want.

My bet is that the springs look like shit because Deaver makes them in CA.

Seriously. Environmental regs put them in a real bind for the types of finishes they can use and what it costs to apply them. It's a big reason why a lot of parts like these now only come unpainted.

They are coil springs, not some bling bling high dollar part. If YOU don't like what you recieved, then send them back and get a refund and order some others that may be powder coated and up to the standard that YOU are looking for. I am a stickler for detail on all of my stuff, sometimes overboard. I would just shoot some spray paint on them and put them on the rig because it would be less trouble than trying to send them back and re order somewhere else with the chance that they could come in scratched as well. It is not about what we would do, but about what you want.

Great idea. Deaver can pay me the $60 it costs (I got a quote from ups.com) to return the product they shipped in an unacceptable state. Oh wait, that's right, they say all their springs arrive in this nasty of condition and won't accept a return.

It's not about bling bling. It's about the fact that these Deaver springs arrived in worse condition than any other spring I have ever seen. That includes the ones on my XJ right now that have been on there for probably 100k miles. I also think it's odd that I'm being accused of worrying about their looks too much. If the paint was simply about looks, then why even bother painting them. The paint is also there to help protect the bare metal from the elements. Since the paint is defective, and isn't doing its job, I figured Deaver and other potential customers would like to know what condition Deaver delivers their products.

If they have such a problem shipping a finished product, then maybe they shouldn't try and finish it. I simply posted on here, because Deaver has a great performance reputation and in my opinion a less than stellar customer service and don't deliver a finished product.

have we made a mountain from a mole hill?

There could be many variables going on here, hell, it could be the result of a single person's mistake... maybe it was a new guy that just messed up. Either way I think that avoiding a witch hunt with the situation is the key from here on out.

I guess I'm surprised at how many people in this thread accept the quality of the product like what was delivered.

I'm in sales and if my products arrived like that to my customers, which in some cases has happened, I'm expected to get a new order out ASAP. My customers buy a new product and expect a new product upon delivery. It's pretty black and white.

That being said, I would take whatever credit they are offering ($10 is pretty weak, I would think 10% to 15% would be fair) and then just Krylon Rust Tuff them up.

It's not about a mountain and a mole hill, it's about happy customers. Happy customers = return customers = word of mouth advertising = more customers... etc... etc.

Even powdercoated springs get scratched up. Deaver doesn't make them they just resell them and you pay because of the name. If you want pretty, maybe look at rubicon express? And if you're trying to sell them, I might be interested.

I guess I'm surprised at how many people in this thread accept the quality of the product like what was delivered.

What do you mean, "in this thread"? Everybody at NAXJA told you the same thing and you just said "oh, okay."

I think you got the people mixed up. I posted on NAXJA, not REDLYNER.

I also asked a different question there. Since it seemed a limited number of people on NC4x4 had purchased springs from Deaver, I asked in the Jeepspeed on NAXJA forums if others had received springs from Deaver in this condition. This was to ensure that the paint quality of my springs were not different from the paint quality of Deaver springs received by others. Since other people said they had received springs with the same issues, my question was answered.

I still think it's odd that this is the quality of the product shipped by what could be considered the premium provider of XJ racing springs. I also wanted to let both members of NC4x4 and NAXJA that Deaver springs arrive in a non-finished condition. I think members of both forums stand to gain something from the photos and the discussion.

I think the number of people surprised by the paint quality or lack of powdercoat show that these photos and discussion had value for NC4x4 members as well.

I think you got the people mixed up. I posted on NAXJA, not REDLYNER.

I also asked a different question there. Since it seemed a limited number of people on NC4x4 had purchased springs from Deaver, I asked in the Jeepspeed on NAXJA forums if others had received springs from Deaver in this condition. This was to ensure that the paint quality of my springs were not different from the paint quality of Deaver springs received by others. Since other people said they had received springs with the same issues, my question was answered.

I still think it's odd that this is the quality of the product shipped by what could be considered the premium provider of XJ racing springs. I also wanted to let both members of NC4x4 and NAXJA that Deaver springs arrive in a non-finished condition. I think members of both forums stand to gain something from the photos and the discussion.

I think the number of people surprised by the paint quality or lack of powdercoat show that these photos and discussion had value for NC4x4 members as well.

What I was suggesting in my post above is that IMO, this subject has gotten enough attention.

So who's ready to race?

Back