Springs came......should I ask for a different set?

loki_racer

I ordered a set of springs for my ECORS rig. They came today and I'm not sure what to do. They are in what I would consider as horrible condition. It looks like they were painted and thrown in a box before drying, and then shipped to me while they dried.

I don't want to mention where I ordered from or what brand springs they are. These aren't budget springs. Should I just not worry about the condition of them and put them on the ECORS rig?

alh4.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenjO2M78I_AAAAAAAAIaM_E44LUfgrfog_s720_IMG_1636.JPG
alh3.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenkClbKII_AAAAAAAAIaU_imDWR_IscMA_s720_IMG_1637.JPG
alh4.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenkrSCzQI_AAAAAAAAIac_1geSaaAaY84_s720_IMG_1638.JPG
alh6.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenmDzeRFI_AAAAAAAAIak_ibOPOYQEEOA_s720_IMG_1639.JPG
alh5.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_TJenmoGb90I_AAAAAAAAIas_cr7igFxvlA8_s720_IMG_1640.JPG

They are for a race rig, so I would just install them and not worry about it.

If you paid for top quaility stuff that is what should come out of the package period. I would bring it to the attention of who got your hard earned green backs.

Did you spend the money on quality springs to look at or to beat the piss out of on a race rig? Any time they ship them in a bare cardboard box they will get scuffed up, but unless they're going on a show truck what has it really hurt? The paint won't affect the function of the springs so I would run them as is and not have to wait for another set. Just my $.02 though, if it's a big deal to you, hound thier ass for a discount or replacement set.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they aren't just scuffed. The paint is defective to the point where there isn't any paint covering some parts of the spring.

I think my main concern is, say I race them once, decide I don't like them and want to resell them as used. I think it would be a hard sell to say they are in "used" condition at that point based on the paint job.

Looks like solvent pop in the paint. Looks like the paint was soft when thay boxed them up. Would I cry about them? If they were on a fancy mall crawler yes, trail rig ECORS racer hell no. your gonna beat them to death anyway

Did the packaging show any signs of solvent? Just curious if someone set the box in something in transit and it ate the paint on the springs, either way if it were me I wouldn't sweat it, but different things matter to different people. I think the suppler should be made aware regardless, because had it been shipped to a mall crawler type rig, it would be worst for the buyer. Either way I would call and let them know. Its hard to fix the issue if there unaware there is an issue.

I would expect my moneys worth. would at least call them and make them aware. if no satifaction would let everyone know who sells 2nd rate parts at first rate prices. that may make them sensitive to your situation.

If the paint is still squishy then I'll bet it was not catalyzed correctly, probably wont ever completely dry. You should call them & raise hell & get another set. Dust wull stick to the squishy paint & make the rest of the mud on the ECORS racer look bad.

You joke, but my rig has won every "show and shine" it's ever been to. Granted that is a total of zero events, but it's still a champion. I'm more worried about resell value, less what it looks like on my rig.

Now, if my chome airbumps had a scratch on them, I wouldn't have been asking this question.

I'm more worried about resell value, less what it looks like on my rig.

Then when you decide to sell them, hit them with a little sand paper and spray them again, regardless there not going to look new after a few races and need to be cleaned up before you sell them anyway, plus they will get marked up being installed, I know mine did.

You joke, but my rig has won every "show and shine" it's ever been to. Granted that is a total of zero events, but it's still a champion. I'm more worried about resell value, less what it looks like on my rig.
Now, if my chome airbumps had a scratch on them, I wouldn't have been asking this question.
:lol:

Then when you decide to sell them, hit them with a little sand paper and spray them again, regardless there not going to look new after a few races and need to be cleaned up before you sell them anyway, plus they will get marked up being installed, I know mine did.

They will probably not ever dry so the sand paper will just gum up.

:lol:
They will probably not ever dry so the sand paper will just gum up.

Laquer thinner is where it's at....

If they will work with you and give you another set go for it. If not, out them for sending you squishy paint and a solvent buzz, soak them in thinner and follow it up with a good coat of black equipment enamel.

Even my $40 QA1's came in a plastic bag inside the box IIRC.. :)

Really? on a trail rig, you guys got to come look at my daily driver trail rig, run them and if you dont like them sell them! you gonna whine if you get a scratch on your rig during its first race? i wish i had springs like that!!!!

Their response:
i just got off the phone with [spring company]. they said that these springs are not powder coated because they are sold to racers. he was very apologetic about the springs sticking to the box and taking the paint off. he said they dont do the paint there so the painter put them in the box wet.

i tell you what. set up an account on our online store and all credit you $10.

I guess $10 is all the paint job is worth on some racing springs.

Should I be worried about fixing the paint before using the springs? Will rust be an issue with them?

Should I be worried about fixing the paint before using the springs? Will rust be an issue with them?

Maybe you're just not cut out for this racing thing.

Just kidding man..... :flipoff2:

I wouldnt even waste time with the rattle can myself, but if it is something that will bother you, then just give it a quick coat. It couldn't hurt.

Back