Snooze you lose

Same here

Venmo was/is a spin-off of PayPal for all I know. It still works the same way. Back in Feb my PayPal was hacked and sent some rando $500 off of my credit card. Capitol one handled that one though.

The risk is about the same for most of the instant transaction types. I recently used zelle with another board member here. Works pretty smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that seems to happen more often than it used to is someone will make an offer that you accept and then they will not pay up. Say you have something for sale. They ask how much? You say $100. They comeback with will you take $50? Sure. Then they walk away. To me if you make an offer and it is accepted, you just bought it. Happens at the swap meets pretty often now.

Something that seems to happen more often than it used to is someone will make an offer that you accept and then they will not pay up. Say you have something for sale. They ask how much? You say $100. They comeback with will you take $50? Sure. Then they walk away. To me if you make an offer and it is accepted, you just bought it. Happens at the swap meets pretty often now.

I have discussed this with a good friend at length, and this is my theory.
I think in the virtual online world we live in, there’s a ton of people that like to internet shop and dream, to the point of haggling for a price they can’t even afford.

Example: Say I post my junk XJ up for sale for $2800. Duder hits me up and wants to know this and that, asks if I’ll take $2,000 and I disagree, saying I’ll take $2500. He goes away, but in his mind “feels like he almost bought it”. Then goes as far as to sit around with his buddies and talk about how he was gonna buy it but the dude wouldn't come off enough to make a deal.

In some cases, dudes low offers are accepted but since he doesn’t have the cash he just ghosts the seller.

This is only my theory, but I really believe it. I think there is a lot of dead beat dream shoppers out there, and the internet lets them go as far as haggling and discussing it without a face to face interaction, and then at the end of the day when they can’t afford it, they convince themselves the deal wasn’t right even though they didn’t have the money in the first place.

Back when Craig's List was the only way, & I was selling cars & parts, on the side, a Lot of "I'm on the way", Never showed up! Now, on Market Place, the 1st. question is that shitty "Is it still available?" [too stupid to delete it]. I either give them a "Yes", or "As long as it's posted"! Second question is, "where are you at?", meaning my address. My City is clearly listed in the ad. I tell them, "near downtown Mt.Holly, I give address when I know your coming". Very few reply back to that!

I think its more along the lines of "if you accept my first offer, it obviously wasn't low enough. "

You guys have this whole damn thing wrong, just stop selling stuff. I used to watch shows like American Pickers and wonder how dafuq people amassed so much shit and why would someone buy an entire building just to put the stuff in. That was back in the 10-12 years I was slanging parts/rigs to line my pockets. These days though, I'm at Hoard level expert. Sheds and buildings to store stuff, vacant lots to park stuff...hoard all the things. You never have to deal with sellers remorse and you never have to deal with people.

I think its more along the lines of "if you accept my first offer, it obviously wasn't low enough. "

I have more potential "sales" fall through when I accept their first offer, 9 times out of 10 accepting the first offer results in zero follow-up from the buyer.

I am always so pleased when something I am selling has multiple interested parties, I feel like I get to help teach would be ass-hats proper buyer etiquette.

If I know you or have dealt with you before (I have bought from probably half the folks here...lol) , I will hold something for a little while. I will hold for an agreed amount of time with a paypal non refundable deposit for the other folks. Without a deposit, it is first to show with the cash. Been burned too many times with no shows who were set to pick up at a specific time.

side stories
Had a 4 wheeler come up for sale at a great price 15 minutes from my house. Call the guy, tell him i am local and interested and would like to come look at it. He says you had better hurry because there is another guy from SC coming to look as well. He said first one with the cash gets it. I said I could paypal him a deposit to hold it. He said I don't do paypal and first one with cash is the way it is. I said ok, figuring there was not anyone coming for SC. I hook up my little trailer, and head over to his place and pull in driveway. The 4 wheeler was everything as described and as I was getting on to test drive another truck and trailer pulled up. He said that is probably the other guy. I thought damn he was telling the truth. I road it and paid the guy and he looks at them and said you were about 5 minutes too late. They were not happy at all to say the least. He said, I told them the same thing I told you, wasn't my fault they did not get here in time.

Had a couple metal buildings for sale, never assembled, but all part there. posted for sale on offer up. Guy says he is interested, actually shows up when he said he would driving a 06 corvette with a nitrous bottle in back. Talks my leg off about the vette and how fast it was. Says he couldn't pick up the buildings today ( no shit capt. obvious), but said he would put half down and pick them up on weekend. Paid me half the money, finally left with vette tires rolling smoke through at least 3 gears down the road(actually was impressive) only to never heard from him again. tried to call, left messages, then no answer at all. I still wonder if he was killed in a car wreck??

I have discussed this with a good friend at length, and this is my theory.
I think in the virtual online world we live in, there’s a ton of people that like to internet shop and dream, to the point of haggling for a price they can’t even afford.

Example: Say I post my junk XJ up for sale for $2800. Duder hits me up and wants to know this and that, asks if I’ll take $2,000 and I disagree, saying I’ll take $2500. He goes away, but in his mind “feels like he almost bought it”. Then goes as far as to sit around with his buddies and talk about how he was gonna buy it but the dude wouldn't come off enough to make a deal.

In some cases, dudes low offers are accepted but since he doesn’t have the cash he just ghosts the seller.

This is only my theory, but I really believe it. I think there is a lot of dead beat dream shoppers out there, and the internet lets them go as far as haggling and discussing it without a face to face interaction, and then at the end of the day when they can’t afford it, they convince themselves the deal wasn’t right even though they didn’t have the money in the first place.

Yep, lots of dreamers that want to think "Okay, I can get one for $x if I ever have the money, because that guy said he'd take that much for it"

But they'll never have the money or buy it.

I love, LOVE to browse on Craigslist and FB Marketplace, and several drag racing parts sites. I really enjoy just seeing what's out there for sale and how much it is, just to keep myself up to date on things....I might not want a BBC block right now, but I will need one not too long from now, so might as well keep my virtual thumb on the "pulse" of things.

But I don't offer anyone ANYTHING or even message them unless I'm a buyer at that moment.

side stories
Had a 4 wheeler come up for sale at a great price 15 minutes from my house. Call the guy, tell him i am local and interested and would like to come look at it. He says you had better hurry because there is another guy from SC coming to look as well. He said first one with the cash gets it. I said I could paypal him a deposit to hold it. He said I don't do paypal and first one with cash is the way it is. I said ok, figuring there was not anyone coming for SC. I hook up my little trailer, and head over to his place and pull in driveway. The 4 wheeler was everything as described and as I was getting on to test drive another truck and trailer pulled up. He said that is probably the other guy. I thought damn he was telling the truth. I road it and paid the guy and he looks at them and said you were about 5 minutes too late. They were not happy at all to say the least. He said, I told them the same thing I told you, wasn't my fault they did not get here in time.

Had almost the exact same thing happen on an MJ a few years back....the guy said someone was coming to look at it at 8am, but that I he was available anytime after 7am. I told him I would be there at 7am, got there, drove the truck, jumped out and was just about to dicker on the price, when the other buyers showed up from SC.....boy were they pissed! Worked great for him, I didn't have much room to negotiate at that point.

Had a couple metal buildings for sale, never assembled, but all part there. posted for sale on offer up. Guy says he is interested, actually shows up when he said he would driving a 06 corvette with a nitrous bottle in back. Talks my leg off about the vette and how fast it was. Says he couldn't pick up the buildings today ( no shit capt. obvious), but said he would put half down and pick them up on weekend. Paid me half the money, finally left with vette tires rolling smoke through at least 3 gears down the road(actually was impressive) only to never heard from him again. tried to call, left messages, then no answer at all. I still wonder if he was killed in a car wreck??

My dad was selling an old ramp truck he used when he was racing cars, guy comes out and looks at it, pays full asking price and says he'll send a tow truck to get it that weekend. Weekend comes and goes, ramp truck still there. Well it wasn't in the way so Daddy just let it keep sitting. Almost two years later he listed it for sale again, about two weeks after that the original buyer shows up to get the truck, and didn't even know it had been relisted for sale. He ended up paying as much in "storage fees" as he did for the truck.

Duane

@77GreenMachine Somebody here posted this a couple of years ago and I think its pretty accurate.

"I explained this to a friend the other day: I believe there is a bunch of people in the world today that live in this virtual reality/fantasy land of being able to buy things they can not. They fulfil their desire by browsing and contacting people about things they can’t actually buy to begin with, but it makes them feel good.

Example: Jimmy has $39 extra dollars till pay day which is 3 days away. He always lives paycheck to paycheck. But he browses the Marketplace and CL every day. He messages people about trucks he can’t afford by any means whatsoever. But it makes him feel good, and then he sits around on Friday night smoking L&M smokes and drinking Busch Light and tells John Boy and Henry Jean about how he was gonna buy this Chevy Silverado with the Carolina squat and a custom dash on some 35” Thornbirds, but Tommy would not come off the price and he didn’t like the wheels so he passed. He’s considering this other truck with a Cummings if the guy on FB Marketplace will come down to $5k but he needs to meet halfway at the Sheetz.
In reality Jimmy can’t buy lunch on Thursday, much less a truck.

People just want to waste others time in things they can’t afford and act as if they can. I think it makes them feel good."

I mean I check marketplace and craigslist every day when I get to work. 95% of the stuff I look at I don’t have room to have (farm animals) or don’t have the funds for but then again I don’t message people either. Every once and a while I find a deal and cut outta work to go get it....

I mean I check marketplace and craigslist every day when I get to work. 95% of the stuff I look at I don’t have room to have (farm animals) or don’t have the funds for but then again I don’t message people either. Every once and a while I find a deal and cut outta work to go get it....
It's nice to know this is what you get paid to do at work ;-)

It's nice to know this is what you get paid to do at work ;-)

Hell doesn’t everyone?

The owners And my boss all know I look at Craigslist and know If they wanna find something specific for sale I’ll find it faster than them.

I used a company truck to haul scrap today while I was working. My job there is a whole lot of hurry up and wait and then shit goes to hell I fix it and hurry up and wait again

Back