Snooze you lose

shelby27604

I was selling a 14 bolt axle, as luck would have it, two guys asked about it around the same time (with the same offer price). I gave both my cell number, said I would be available for the rest of the day.

Guy A texts me right away, says he has to hit the ATM, and texts me an ETA when he leaves.
Guy B responses right away with a "thumbs up" emoji and nothing else....an hour and a half later he calls to say he is going to head out "in an hour or so".

I told him someone else was already on their way.....he seemed extra pissed off when he said "but I told you I wanted it!"

I hope guy B wasn't someone on this board, just remember, we are all adults and capable of communicating with words instead of pictures! The written word already leaves too much ambiguity to proper communication, emojis don't even register to me.

Deal isn’t done until $ is in your hand. First one there with $ gets it.

I had similar results with a propane kitchen stove last year. Told everyone multiple people were interested and I wasn’t holding it that first one there with the $ gets it. That usually turns non-commital/tire kicker people into making commitments or backing out pretty quickly.

I want it. Lemme get up with you when that stimulus check comes in.

I had a guy show up to buy a 454 a couple of weeks back, said almost exactly that "I will take it, I just gotta wait until my taxes refunds comes back".....he sent me a message weeks later asking if I had pulled the ad because he wanted it, or because I had sold it to someone else.

I deal with those fools too, drives me nuts.

I've also had where they put a deposit down, you hold it for 2-3 weeks or whatever was agreed on. Then they decide they don't want it or cant afford it and want the deposit back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

on this board or not, pissed or not. money talks. Duder should not have been lax.

I had a guy show up to buy a 454 a couple of weeks back, said almost exactly that "I will take it, I just gotta wait until my taxes refunds comes back".....he sent me a message weeks later asking if I had pulled the ad because he wanted it, or because I had sold it to someone else.
Can't believe people sometimes. "Yeah, just because you said you wanted it, I pulled the ad and refused to accept payment from anyone who actually HAS the money now"

Reminds me of this:
52ddc360c814d.jpeg

Been looking for another fox body mustang for months. Can’t tell you how many were snatched away by someone quicker. I’ve literally been getting the trailer and grabbing money only to find out it sold right after I got off the phone with the seller. That’s the name of the game. You’ve got to have money in hand and sitting on go if you want it. I never expect anyone to hold something.

IF a buyer tells me he's on the way or we agree on a time Im gonna hold it till then otherwise its whoever shows w the money.Ive been hustling parts fulltime for about 20 years now and cant count how many times I've dealt w this.

Can't believe people sometimes. "Yeah, just because you said you wanted it, I pulled the ad and refused to accept payment from anyone who actually HAS the money now"

Reminds me of this:
52ddc360c814d.jpeg
This is only true if Stupid is a normal distribution. I'd argue it's right-tailed.
Technically he's talking about the median stupid person ;-)

Last edited:
IF a buyer tells me he's on the way or we agree on a time Im gonna hold it till then otherwise its whoever shows w the money.Ive been hustling parts fulltime for about 20 years now and cant count how many times I've dealt w this.
This is how i like to deal with people when buying or selling. i found a really good deal on a boat called the guy 1st to call and say i could be there tomorrow he said thats fine ill hold it till 9:30-10:00 AM the next day (we agreed id be at his house by 8) its about 2.5 hr ride so he gave me some time in case something happened. i showed up at 7:45 and we were headed to the lake at 8:15 for a test run, the whole time i was there his phone was blowing up.

Ill gladly put a deposit down on something if its a couple hours away if someone will hold it, but if they arent willing to do that and they say first here gets it i usually dont bother if its over an hour away because i cant beat someone local.

Ill gladly put a deposit down on something if its a couple hours away if someone will hold it, but if they arent willing to do that and they say first here gets it i usually dont bother if its over an hour away because i cant beat someone local.
It suprises me the amount of people who cant or wont take a deposit,folks are scared shitless of using pay-pal.To me a deposit is a win win.If they come thru on the deal then its sold,if not then the item is still for sale and I've already made some off of it.

It suprises me the amount of people who cant or wont take a deposit,folks are scared shitless of using pay-pal.To me a deposit is a win win.If they come thru on the deal then its sold,if not then the item is still for sale and I've already made some off of it.
Precisely this.

Yeah I’m surprised at the amount of people that don’t want anything to do with PayPal after it being around all of these years. Shoot this very method worked out great for @CasterTroy just recently. He scored a deal that wasn’t gonna hang around long but the deposit held it.

Same here, and I usually prefer to have a fair idea of when someone will be coming by after something. I tend to be overly generous in working with buyers since my schedule is wide open, but they have to keep up their end and be on time or communicate any delays otherwise I'm moving on to the next buyer.

Duane

Yeah if it wasn’t for PayPal I wouldn’t have my TJ Rubicon. Personally I prefer PayPal over other types of payment.

All the other stuff is foreign to me. I don’t know anything about Venmo or that stuff. PayPal was the OG

But paypal is scary!

Back