Shade Tree J10 Build

Y'all use fuel filters?
When I replumbed my fuel system last year, I realized I had left out my filter insert from the last time I serviced it...back in 2015!

That’s awesome. The real question is, did you return it or just leave well enough alone?

Finished up removing the unused wiring. Traced the wires all the way back and removed them from the firewall plug. It ended up being more useless wires than I thought. Going to finish this up and get the wires routed back to their respective locations.

We are relocating the battery to inside of the cab, between the seats. It will be housed in the aluminum console I will build.

63dd51c60cd9d79e30b2ce2de9dc07c7.jpg

The plan has always been to upgrade from the military tires to something with traction, and the rig really needs a larger tire to fill up the wheel wells. With this added size we figure the front 44 isn’t going to hold up to much more so we decided to stop spending on more upgrades for it, and I snagged a deal on the solution.

6682afbfdeffe74d9cf0e6fe37b61e64.jpg

99-04 SD 60 pretty much complete besides the locking hubs and rotors. Throwing some cheap matching gears at it for the time being and out boarding the front springs 2.5” per side.

An issue I run into with out out-boarding is the spring perch width of the 60 puts the shackle directly centered on the frame. So my solution is the leaf spring slider.

This picture is from liquid iron industries but my plan is to custom fab my own.
4a5be4e7790285b9610188054d98a742.jpg

They make sense to me. The current shackle angles on the rig aren’t perfect, so we wouldn’t be losing much if any down travel. It makes packaging much easier.

Little bit of productivity on this Saturday. Pulled the bench seat out and set some Corbeau Baja RS seats in with a little fab work.
e3538d537ab3e23f6cfc563310cfac94.jpg

Ive got the cnc plasma more dialed in. I was cutting the .125” with 80amps and the 80 amp tips. Once I dropped back to 40 amps or 60 amps with the corresponding tips I was getting much better cut quality at that thickness.

8668cbb1b14ded50fd9c788bc95f2dc0.jpg

Slowly working on getting more consistent and smooth with my mig welds...

a35efd7b9b289c450c7284cd51dca5b1.jpg

For now I’m just distributing the load of the seats through some large .25” plates. When we get ready for a cage these will get tied into that and the frame.

17350872608c735c515c32f2e28e1a4b.jpg

50299bd07e2978c1aaa18fd9d93c0368.jpg

Gears are in the mail, decided to jump up to 5.13s since the plan is to run 40”+ tires after all is said and done. Planning to run a spool in the rear and leaning toward lock right in the front. It will have selectable hubs as we plan to street it on occasion.

The rear is getting 35 spline Yukon shafts as well, so I’ll be boring the spindles. With some research, I’ve seen a lot of folks having luck using hole saws. I could use a lathe, but I think I could whip up a custom tool to center the hole saw quicker than a fixture to put the axle in the lathe. Could be wrong on this one but we will see.

Earlier this year I picked up a 32 gallon steel fuel cell with the plastic bladder. I got it cheap because it was in rough shape, I probably should’ve scrapped it and bought a new one but I decided to rebuild what I had. I replaced the rusted out bottom with some thin angle on the corners and 14 gauge steel in the bottom. Turned out pretty decent but after all the prep I had more time in it than it was probably worth.

cbc0770827628fc2ff09c009b1212ca1.jpg

94b5856260615a0a385d3301d1312344.jpg

ff29c32de24446aeebf65831f40f1222.jpg

Going to button this up and cut out some mounts for it later this week.

I'll give you a Jegs sticker or 20 if you want summit too.

My same fuel pump just started to whine pretty loud recently, going to buy a back up, as I expect it to go pretty soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'll give you a Jegs sticker or 20 if you want summit too.

My same fuel pump just started to whine pretty loud recently, going to buy a back up, as I expect it to go pretty soon.

If you’re running an e2000 look for the precision brand at orielly, it’s lifetime warranty. I want to get another so I can have a continual swap out going...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSL392 and be done, son.

I'm a lyrical gangsta

Interesting, for some reason I always thought the wal-BRO pumps were spendy... quick search says about $100???

I've seen them anywhere from 40 amazon to 200 for one from Jegs. But I like the oreillys or autozone thing, the stores are everywhere.

DOOOO not get an e2000, get an e8248 pump

That’s actually what we’ve got in it now. I used to fry e2000s on a regular basis...

Its been a bit, curious if you have any testing and feedback in the EFI setup?
It’s actually really nice. So far, the only issue we’ve had is it (or something else) draining the battery when not driven more than a week or 2. The temporary solution was to use a trickle charger, but we plan to get in there and figure out exactly where the draw is. I’ve read that the screen is the draw and you can disconnect power to it without disconnecting power to the computer.

It starts up like a fuel injected vehicle now which is super nice..

Back