Shade Tree J10 Build

Slacked off on this one big time... school took back over my life... Since the last update, many things have been completed.

T-case installed- linkage just needed to be lengthened, easy fix.
Sidewinder TH350 Shifter Added
Drive shafts were spliced for temporary function
shorty headers installed
downpipes created
exhaust out has been made but still needs finish welding
Finished up mounting the accessories
Wired up- pretty easy since we were able to keep the factory ALT, and the ignition is only a couple of wires.
Front clip is back on
Probably forgetting a pile of stuff

The J-Truck moves around on its own. It currently has a lonnng coolant pipe to the stock radiator, but we picked up an aluminum radiator with the correct outlets.
Soon it will be installed.
After some busy work of replacing gaskets that we thought were okay, and ridding the engine of any and all leaks, we will be saving up for the FITech fuel injection kit...

Anyone ever used these kits on their crawler? Seem to have mixed reviews from the hotrod world.

...we will be saving up for the FITech fuel injection kit...

Anyone ever used these kits on their crawler? Seem to have mixed reviews from the hotrod world.
I've not used one of those, but I've read all about them before I decided to go totally DIY with my EFI project. I'd bet a paycheck those that give the not-so-good reviews couldn't tune a carb, much less properly install an EFI setup (and a self-learning setup at that). My guess is someone with a decent mechanical ability and good reading comprehension skills would be able to install it without a hitch, and have it work well. You'd be fine with that one.

I've not used one of those, but I've read all about them before I decided to go totally DIY with my EFI project. I'd bet a paycheck those that give the not-so-good reviews couldn't tune a carb, much less properly install an EFI setup (and a self-learning setup at that). My guess is someone with a decent mechanical ability and good reading comprehension skills would be able to install it without a hitch, and have it work well. You'd be fine with that one.

Yes, majority of the bad reviews sounded as if they didn’t have it set up correctly. Then proceeded to tell that they were going back with their “ole 650.”

We considered the DIY route, but I think this EFI set up will save us on time, head scratching, and profanity. I’m not terribly crafty with wires and will pay the difference not to mess with them. (As much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is about time for an update on this thread.

The build isn’t so much of a shade tree build anymore. We built and enclosed a 30x40 pole barn shop, but I’ll keep the thread name for the sake of nostalgia.

Since the last post, not much has happened to this truck. It is still yet to become a reliable wheeler. It was rode at URE for a short period before some over heating issues arose. I believe the issue was lack of a fan shroud so we built up a quick one out of some thin sheet metal and plan to remake it from Aluminum later after confirming that it will solve the issue.

With impending doom, social distancing, and budlight virus on the horizon, I hope to have it ready for the wheelin’ season. Currently, the transmission is pulled for some seals that I should’ve replaced in the beginning. TBI fuel injection parts are on their way from summit. Corbeau seats are very roughly mocked up. Front shocks have been mocked up 5 inches backward to make room for some bumpstop cans.

There is lengthy todo list, but we hope to be wheeling this J truck pretty hard this season.

2e9fdc35e4666c7389b92cf8b86d2fc2.jpg

fc1cf1b6b173f9e0b2fab7fea07355dc.jpg

Many updates to come hopefully.

Last edited:
Replaced seals and returned the transmission and transfer case to its location this weekend. Got the rig fired up and promptly the fuel pump died, so everything carb related was removed.
Earlier last week, a big box full of fuel injection goodies arrived with a summit racing logo on the side. Turns out this summit TBI unit is just a rebranded FI tech system that they sale for a hair cheaper and all the added summit discounts. For the time being we will be running a e2000 pump with a 100micron prefilter and a 10 micron filter after the regulator. Today I made up a fresh new 3/8” hard fuel line for the return as the original was only 1/4” and ordered some more AN fittings to connect everything together.

567dc65b1ebe55ee33e622fbd43e3ca2.jpg

As shown in the earlier pic the wiring is a bit of a mess of leftover plugs and components from the AMC 6 cylinder. Since the rig is already running with the current wiring set up we are just going to get it back running with the fuel injection then move on to de cluttering the engine bay wiring harness.

Replaced seals and returned the transmission and transfer case to its location this weekend. Got the rig fired up and promptly the fuel pump died, so everything carb related was removed.
Earlier last week, a big box full of fuel injection goodies arrived with a summit racing logo on the side. Turns out this summit TBI unit is just a rebranded FI tech system that they sale for a hair cheaper and all the added summit discounts. For the time being we will be running a e2000 pump with a 100micron prefilter and a 10 micron filter after the regulator. Today I made up a fresh new 3/8” hard fuel line for the return as the original was only 1/4” and ordered some more AN fittings to connect everything together.

567dc65b1ebe55ee33e622fbd43e3ca2.jpg

As shown in the earlier pic the wiring is a bit of a mess of leftover plugs and components from the AMC 6 cylinder. Since the rig is already running with the current wiring set up we are just going to get it back running with the fuel injection then move on to de cluttering the engine bay wiring harness.

Looking forward,to,here how the efi goes.

Little by little it’s coming together. Waiting on a few AN fittings to come in the mail, so I can finish up the fuel injection. Today I installed the Throttle body, routed some fuel lines and vacuum hoses, installed the throttle and kick down cables, and finally mounted the fuel pump under the bed of the truck.

fd9d5aebe14e9bb70e42850d6376dd28.jpg

Going to install the O2 sensor tomorrow and start wiring. Everything is pinned out and quite straightforward on the harness.

Then you're gonna taker the lawn mower air filter off right?

Yep its got to go... just what I had laying around and didn’t want debris getting in.

Also interested in seeing what you think of the MAXefi kit. Im toying with the idea of FiTech or a similar TBI kit on the 304 I have for the CJ.

So far it seems to be the parts from the FI Tech system on a Summit branded throttle body. The sensors and injectors literally have FI Tech stamped on them. Some of the pictures and diagrams in the installation are exactly cross referenced. The main difference I see is that the computer is remote mounted on the summit system vs being built into the throttle body on the FI Tech system.

I like the idea of it being remote mounted. Isolation from vibration and possibly heat. How much harness do you have to work with?
Does the computer also control ignition?
Does it appear to be fairly durable in terms of moisture and typical abuse?

I like the idea of it being remote mounted. Isolation from vibration and possibly heat. How much harness do you have to work with?
Does the computer also control ignition?
Does it appear to be fairly durable in terms of moisture and typical abuse?

So here’s my best answers.

The harness seems to have a good length to it. Can’t route it around the world, but it’s got ample wire for me I think. I’ll update this after I get the harness in. In the picture it is looped over and has about another foot or so between that and the plug for the ECU. The only complaint I have, is the ECU must be mounted about a foot or so from the controller screen, but I still don’t think it’ll be an issue.

65f4274e123049c054c248f53bb0bda4.jpg

The computer does nothing with the ignition besides takes the tach input. I basically plug it into my HEI distributors tach output and that’s all the Fi needs. This is all I know so far, I’ll update more as I go.

It seems to be a pretty durable setup to me. I can’t specifically see any point of failure or wear. The sensors are the same as any other sensor on any other Fi unit... I’m agree with you about the ECU being inside, I prefer it that way.

Here are more detailed pics. Hopefully this help at least some.

2b839a984bcd6758013784651e1e40bf.jpg

b808364d467187b5343d8eb05234f757.jpg

Injectors
7aa6464a77501dcfddaa0dbabe308817.jpg

17664662b3b693082577d1470e0ffbba.jpg

Also here’s (figure 19) the HEI wiring diagram I am using.
73ccb0f6b152656fd9046ff712ac43ff.jpg

Edit: I found the extension harness for the screen. It can be mounted just about anywhere in the cab.

Awesome. I'm looking to replace speed density Ford efi. Main reason is it just plain clutters up my engine bay the way a previous owner installed it in my yj. Its a bird nest of wires and vac lines. Also it does not like bigger mods like cam and heads.

Looks clean like an engine bay should.

Wait... it's 2020 and it still has NO ignition control? :rolleyes:

I’m not sure I see this as a problem. Maybe the 2 aren’t as synchronized, but it is nice to be able to take a carbureted motor and drop this kit on it and have fuel injection that works worlds better off-road.

Got it roughly wired and running great. We dialed in the timing, and drove it around the block to allow for it to self tune some. This is by far the best the rig has ever ran. Throttle response is awesome and the electric fan control worked great.

Took a break and went to work where I finished setting up the new CNC plasma table. This is definitely going to expand my fabrication ability. I worked up part of the bump stop mounts, but I am still tweaking and tuning the table and settings so the parts are a little rough. I’ll get a better quality cut on the next set.

c4e6586c78ab11548fcab34435c4964d.jpg

Tonight I dove into cleaning up the wiring harness where I found more than half the wires currently in the harness are coming out. The engine bay should appear much cleaner tomorrow.

Just 2 comments:
1. I ruined a fuel pump once by using a fuel filter before the pump. I’m sure you probably know the pump is cooled by the gas it’s pumping and if that pre-filter clogs, it’ll starve the pump. Just personal experience.

2. @mcutler can probably chime in and provide more technical terms, but there’s a term for letting your table strike the arc on the interior of a letter and lead into the cut. Makes the finished product look better and require less cleanup.

Just 2 comments:
1. I ruined a fuel pump once by using a fuel filter before the pump. I’m sure you probably know the pump is cooled by the gas it’s pumping and if that pre-filter clogs, it’ll starve the pump. Just personal experience.

2. @mcutler can probably chime in and provide more technical terms, but there’s a term for letting your table strike the arc on the interior of a letter and lead into the cut. Makes the finished product look better and require less cleanup.

1. I have had a fuel filter kill a pump as well, but it was due to fuel cell foam breaking down. Would that foam have killed the pump? I have no clue, but most setups I’ve seen use a pre filter. Where do you recommend putting the first filter?

2. I believe the term is lead in and lead out. I think it’s more of a amperage, torch height, cut speed issue. It was literally the 2nd part I cut out on the machine.
We bought a thermal dynamics machine and so far I’m not impressed with their customer service or their manuals. We bought and 80amp unit because it was the price of a 60 amp Hypertherm unit, but I think the difference in cost was lost in customer service and their documentation of the machine and it’s options.

1. I have had a fuel filter kill a pump as well, but it was due to fuel cell foam breaking down. Would that foam have killed the pump? I have no clue, but most setups I’ve seen use a pre filter. Where do you recommend putting the first filter?

2. I believe the term is lead in and lead out. I think it’s more of a amperage, torch height, cut speed issue. It was literally the 2nd part I cut out on the machine.
We bought a thermal dynamics machine and so far I’m not impressed with their customer service or their manuals. We bought and 80amp unit because it was the price of a 60 amp Hypertherm unit, but I think the difference in cost was lost in customer service and their documentation of the machine and it’s options.
I talked to a tech at Howell last year as my TBI is from them. I was telling him of issues I was having and even though their manual says to have a pre filter, which I never have had, he said, "yeah not many people do and it's really not a problem as long as you have a good clean tank".

I talked to a tech at Howell last year as my TBI is from them. I was telling him of issues I was having and even though their manual says to have a pre filter, which I never have had, he said, "yeah not many people do and it's really not a problem as long as you have a good clean tank".

Good to know... are you still running a filter between the pump and the injection?

1. I was using a fuel cell and considered the screen on the Walbro pickup the “first filter”.

2. That’s the term I was looking for. Sounds like you’re on it. I’m just an observer of cnc plasma tables.

Good to know... are you still running a filter between the pump and the injection?

Absolutely

Ditto! While there are 10 years on the original fleabay E2000 installed when I did the TBI, I'm finally seeing some issues (which I believe could be pump related, but hasn't been proven), have been running a cheap plastic PRE-pump filter only (change it out yearly)

Ditto! While there are 10 years on the original fleabay E2000 installed when I did the TBI, I'm finally seeing some issues (which I believe could be pump related, but hasn't been proven), have been running a cheap plastic PRE-pump filter only (change it out yearly)

This is exactly what I have right now since I haven’t got the 100 micron filter from summit yet. Might keep it that way. I’ve been running the exact setup in my Toyota but have killed a few e2000s...

Back