School me on the older cummins

I've got a 94 12 valve, what exactly does this mod do and how does it work. I have a # 8 plate, will this help or hurt. This sounds interesting please explain.Thanks
Brad

I've got a 94 12 valve, what exactly does this mod do and how does it work. I have a # 8 plate, will this help or hurt. This sounds interesting please explain.Thanks
Brad

on the '94+, I'm not sure exactly how it works...because I "think" you use a different pump...

on the 1st Gen...you get fuel in two methods:

1. using the main fuel screw
2. using the fuel pin, which is affected by boost in the AFC

mine is a simple on/off...I tuned my truck so that with the switch in off (or tow) mode, I can put the pedal to the floor going up a hill, with my TJ on the trailer, and not cross the 1250F EGT threshold...

it does smoke a bit under load when just starting, as it's getting full fuel all the time...

when I switch the on (or into play mode), it gets extra fuel from the fuel pin...more boost = more fuel...and gets REALLY smokey and strong...

Greg

Was gonna start a new thread about these trucks and then saw this one. I, also, would like to find a Cummins ('94 up) to drive and tow with. I've been looking around quite a bit. I just recently came accross what seems to be a good buy on a '99. Its a 2500 SLT quad-cab longbed with the NV4500 5spd. Its got 159,000 miles on it but that shouldnt be bad for a cummins, right?. The rest of the drivetrain seemed to work fine. I just drove it tonight and noticed a lil antifreeze smell when i turned on the defrost so i figured the heater core is going bad in it. The guy said he'd budge a lil, so I'm gonna try and find out what his def. of a lil is, lol. Any more info from you guys will def. be appreciated. I forgot to check to see whether the block was a 53 or not but plan on going back and looking. Thanks.
Tyler

assuming it wasn't heavily modded...that mileage wouldn't bother me at all...

and the NV4500 just makes it that much better...

4x4 or 4x2?

Greg

Its 4x4. :driver:

'99 Dodge 2500 Cummins w/ NV4500

Like I stated before, I've been looking at diff. used Cummins and Powerstrokes, but I like more about the Cummins trucks so I've been aiming my search on them. I've found a certain 1999 model 24V that I'm considering to buy. I've been trying to do all the research I can on them. I thought they would prob come equipped with a D44HD in the front and maybe a
D60FF in the rear being a 3/4 ton truck. Most of the sites with specs on them have suprised me. It seems the gas 2500s got the d44 and the cummins 2500s got a d60 in front and a d80 in the rear. Is this mostly true for all the cummins 2500s? Just curious. It seems to be that way according to most sites, but any input on this as well as other specs/comments on the model in question would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Tyler

Like I stated before, I've been looking at diff. used Cummins and Powerstrokes, but I like more about the Cummins trucks so I've been aiming my search on them. I've found a certain 1999 model 24V that I'm considering to buy. I've been trying to do all the research I can on them. I thought they would prob come equipped with a D44HD in the front and maybe a
D60FF in the rear being a 3/4 ton truck. Most of the sites with specs on them have suprised me. It seems the gas 2500s got the d44 and the cummins 2500s got a d60 in front and a d80 in the rear. Is this mostly true for all the cummins 2500s? Just curious. It seems to be that way according to most sites, but any input on this as well as other specs/comments on the model in question would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Tyler
From what I know and remember the 2nd gen CTD all had a 60 front and 70 rear or 60 f 80 rear for the hd and HO but If I remeber it only was with a stick. The 1 ton all had 60f 80 r...

My 96 had 60f 70 r but if I got the HD and 5 speed I could get the 80.....or that may have been the next year that they did it....
Thats what sold me on the package was if you went CTD then it was standard to get big axles.
one more thing was that V10 gas had 60f 70r to, so not all gas = 44 just the light 3/4 that had 8500 gvwr or less, the CTD and HD 3/4 was 8800 GVWR = bigger brakes and other junk to..

From what I know and remember the 2nd gen CTD all had a 60 front and 70 rear or 60 f 80 rear for the hd and HO but If I remeber it only was with a stick. The 1 ton all had 60f 80 r...

That's right. And all the first gen (89-93) CTD trucks also had D60 front/D70 rear. Dodge never put a Cummins in a truck with a D44 in the front.

Thanks guys. I talked to the guy again and he said he was pretty sure it was a 60f and 80r but Ill have to take a look at it again and see for myself. I havent convinced myself 100% yet to buy something right now but the thought of driving a diesel keeps pushing me, lol.

Back