School me on the older cummins

Josh C

Been thinking of trying to find an older Dodge 4x4 w/ the cummins. I'll be honest I don't care much for the dodge trucks but the cummins seems to be the way to go. Anything I should watch for or stay away from other than a diesel that hasn't been or doesn't look to have been properly maintained. Prefer a manual but will settle for automatic. Looking at say a 92-00 year range

The most reliable of those years would be the 12v up to 98.5. I agree I am not a dodge fan but I love the cummins

Looking at say a 92-00 year range

just a little info...

the 1st Gens are '89-'93...'89-'91.5 are not intercooled, '91.5-'93 are intercooled...

2nd Gen starts in '94...intercooled...

'89-'93 use a H1C turbo...'94 uses a WH1C (a wastegated version of the H1C)...'95+ switched to an HX35 turbo...

not sure what year they changed next...probably during the 12V to 24V swap...

Greg

If you're planning on doing any mods to the engine after you buy it, buy a 94-98 12 v truck. They use the P7100 pump and not the old style rotary pump. If you buy a 24 v watch out for 53 blocks and find out if the weak VP44 pump has been replaced.

The 2nd Gen 98.5-2002 is ok to have with the VP-44 as long as it has been well maintained by keeping a healthy lift pump. See if it's been relocated to the frame and upgraded. Larger fuel lines, replaced banjos and such. And as with any Dodge/Cummins, get some gauges and monitor the crucial things, you'll save your own ass in the long/short run.

Staton

What all can be done to these trucks performance wise fairly easy and on the cheap side before you start getting to much power and start eating up trannies/clutches wether it be auto or manual

with the 94-98.5 12valves for under 100 bucks you can get a #10 fuel plate takes about 35 mins to install and will give you a huge jump in power. from 98.5-07 you can get a tuner or a chip that will either change timing, or fueling or both for between 300-700 bucks. Also they 95's to 02 Sticks have the Hx 35 not sure what year but i believe about 00 01 they put the HY 35 infront of the autos

What all can be done to these trucks performance wise fairly easy and on the cheap side before you start getting to much power and start eating up trannies/clutches wether it be auto or manual

quite a few pump tweaks on the 1st gen...mostly are completely free...

you ought to be able to get it equal to or better than the performance of a stock brand new one...i.e. the older ones are 400 ft/lbs of torque, the newest are 600...

of course, the 600 is just a starting point for the new ones...:D

Greg

go with a 1991-1998(12 valve only)
5 speed
need power mods i got a list of Free to cheep ones
guages needed boost 0-60psi,pyro 0-2000*F
let me know if you need any thing

go with a 1991-1998(12 valve only)
5 speed
need power mods i got a list of Free to cheep ones
guages needed boost 0-60psi,pyro 0-2000*F
let me know if you need any thing

what free mods you have?? I have a '92 and would love the list you have to compare against the things I know of.

Thanks

nobody is saying anything about the 24 valve CTD, were there major issues with them or something i checked around a little bit and couldn't really find major issues with them. I just bought a 99 model with 130,000 on it. Did i get had and didn't know it?

I had a 99 with 173,000 on it when i sold it. IF the block was cracked, i never would have known. It ran perfect the entire time. I also had a 2001.5 with 219,000 when i sold it. Don't be scared of the 24 valves. Put a fuel pressure gauge on them, and make sure it stays where it should and you won't have any issues.

what free mods you have?? I have a '92 and would love the list you have to compare against the things I know of.
Thanks

make sure to share 'em with me...

although, can't imagine it's much more than the list we've been working from...:D

BTW...you switch that linkage, yet?

Greg

So what about a 24V non 53 casted block. Would it be worth it or look more for a 12V
I've got an 01' 6 speed and I wouldn't trade it for any 12valve. The nicest thing about it is adjustablity of the power from in the cab. I can turn it up when I want to and turn it down when I don't feel like being a dick spewing black smoke everywhere. My friends with 12Vs always seem to battle high egts with performance mods, I've towed close to 25k pds with mine @75+mph,with my edge box on the highest level and never had an EGT problem. The later models have a 6 speed option that has a bigger flywheel,clutch disc and input shaft in the tranny than the earlier 5 speeds. That's my .02 for whatever it's worth.

i have a part that replaces the top of the pump
have you heard of the vallet switch they are on and off
but the way mine is made it is fully adjustable

I have a simple on/off version in my '89, that can be switched from the cab...

I prefer to call it a tow/flog switch...:D

Greg

Back