Samurai

Fair enough, but yea Like I said I don't really know what to do at the moment but since I already got the motor I'm still leaning towards using it, as far as the axles I'm just gonna stick with the 10 bolts since I'm gonna be running 35's and I already have em. Thanks for the input though. This motor situation has got me stumped.

This is just an idea. I dont know if this swap would be easy or not but have you ever thought of the Toyota 4AGE motor? It is a 1600 cc, 16 valve that makes 115 hp and 100 ft/lbs of torque (you can even get some w/160-170 hp in stock form). It is very reliable, easy to find and cheap to modify. There is also a ton of aftermarket support for this little motor. I have had several cars with 4AG motors that stood up to a lot of abuse. I currently have one in my little corolla now and will let you check it out if you like (I live next to the Rusty Rudder). I met a guy that did this swap about 2 years ago and he said it was easy but he said the same thing about building rockets for NASA. This motor might not have as much hp&trq as your 2.8 but I think it would make a good alternative for the zuk, as long as fabricating to make it bolt up is not too hard. I have a vid of sammi with a 4AGE in it roasting a set of 33's, pm me if you can host it or I can just email it to you.
-Tom

ps. Pull-A-Part has 4 of these motors right now.

even thought the 2.8 is not that great of a motor, one good thing about it is later down the road, other GM motors such as the 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 ect have the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8 and could be swapped in relatively easy.
The 2.8 has a common problem of spinning main bearings at high RPM's, They can be made to run strong for what they are though, one secret for them is to use a set of fiero 2.8 heads on them, from the factory these were the best flowing and largest valve size heads offered for the 2.8. Also swapping a 4.3 throttle body on helps alot on them with breathing. Don't expect a ton of horsepower from either of those but it will definetly make it run stronger.

I talked with a guy at the NEUROC event today who did indeed manage to shoe-horn a 2.8 into his sammy and checked the rig out, so it is possible... with a 2 inch body lift and relocating the radiator to the rear. It was a tight fit; less that half an inch between the firewall and the motor as well as between the motor and the front clip supports, and the airfilter will protrude through the hood. Maybe you can get a sweet plastic hood scoop from jcwhitney to give it that extra fast and furious look... :flipoff2:

the exhaust routing was pretty trick as there's not alot of space there and the motor mounts were custom fab as well.

I got this little trinket as well, aught to help along the way, hobart 175 w/ full setup.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_0c38a32d.jpg

You were planning on putting 40's on this thing and you didnt have a welder!!??? Lets see some progress pics on this thing instead of just pics of random stuff.

you can collect parts till the cows come home but they dont put themselves together

yeah, you're well on your way to a nice collection of parts.

RufusTheRam said:
yeah, you're well on your way to a nice collection of parts.

As opposed to a collection of nice parts... :D

I dunno, personnally its something new. Just cause no one has ever done it doesnt mean its not possible, maybe not probable but it is possible.

Aight since the Jeep is getting Rockwells the samurai plans have once again shifted, it is now the center of attention and im prob gonna start work on it over spring break, anyway the samurai is now getting the axles that are under the Jeep, and the np231 w/SYE thats under the jeep and i picked up a ax5 the other day to put in there too, and ill prob use the redneck ram hydro assist setup in the samurai too and put those 35 muds from my Z71 on there.

jrraw23 said:
I'm just dreading deciphering the damn wiring harness to transplant into the samurai QUOTE]

Get a Painless Wiring harness.

Does painless make engine specific wiring harnesses? I thought they had a kit and you had to rig how you want it. So then i might as well use the harness thats already rigged from the blazer. If they do make complete engine specific kits I bet they charge out the a$$ for em thou, and I am not interested in dropping $500 in electrical BS, lol.

Checked summit website, $369 for the harness, thats more than I paid for the blazer, I'll figure out the exsisting harness, I know one guy on the zuwharrie board did this so i'll prob be asking him how he did it soon.

ricky i went and looked at that blazer at justins, isn't it a bad thing when two of the spools (or whatever they are called) that hold the engine belts are angled towards each other?

Yea I've been talkin to a few guys on the zuwharrie board and its seems like trying to make the exsisting harness work is gonna be hard since my engine is a 94 half of the stuff is supposidly crossover to the newer models and half of the stuff is old so I have to buy the two different wiring manuals and decifer them both and I am already confused so I might end up goin painless, lol. But yea Jon I'll give you a shout.

Back