Samurai

Aight folks, your gonna be happy, the Samurai plans have changed due to the fact that I bought a 74 CJ5. I will start a buildup thread for it as well. Anyway, here are the new plans. Samurai gets to be a mild size trailbeater/rockcrawler, and the Jeep gets to be a huge ass mud bogger. Here are the new plans for the Samurai:

It is now called the CHEVURAI

-I picked up some 10 bolt axles, two fronts and a rear those are going under the samurai
-Already have some 15x10 6 lug Black rims
-Taking the springs off the Cj to put on the Samurai, fronts are 2.5" Skyjacker rear Cj7 springs and the rears are 4" procomp YJ springs
-For the engine: Made a deal for a S10 Blazer 2.8l V6 with the GM version of the T4 behind it will be picking it up in a week or two
-For steering will run the Blazer power steering box that will come with the motor
-Use the Dana 300 I have

As far as plans:
-Will run 35's
-Build a roll cage
-use the S10 T4 bellhousing and get a Cj T4 to bolt up to the Dana 300
-Twin stick the Dana 300
-Gear the axles really high since the engine is pretty weak (round 115hp I think)

So now all you it's never gonna work in a samurai, happy now? lol ;)

It'll still be cool just not huge like the origional plans.

Finnaly got the motor for the Samurai, It's a complete running 2.8L V6 out of a S10 Blazer with only 44,000 miles on it. Also got the transmission its GM's version of the T4, got the front seats will probably use them in the CJ, and also got alot of other random spare parts.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v674_jrraw23_8be19e56.jpg

I will applaud you willingness to try something new. yes I'm doing the 1.6 and yota's since it's easy and parts are readily accessible.

but I would probably not attempt what you are doing. either way good luck ;)

zuke

I'd go with rufus 2.8 isn't a very good engine. Your still going to have problems fitting this engine. It's a little bit smaller than the 302/tranny you were going to use but come on man. You might have changed your mind and decided to fab part on of the rear I'm not sure. Your going to have alot more than just motor mounts. I'm not sure what the specs are but the weight your going to add will prob offset the power you get verses factory or a larger suzuki engine. I'd go to Pirate Blackboard and ask quite a few questions abou this swap. If no one has ever done it than you can almost garantee it will be way more expensive than you will figure. I looked into buying a junked zuk and switch out my toyota parts. I thought the toyota engine could be put in fairly easy but I was wrong. I'v researched many articles on PBB about engine swaps in zuks and can't remember a chevy 2.8 being one. I hope it all works for you but these guys aren't cutting you down they are just giving advice from their experience. :beer:

2.8's are junk? never heard that b4, its dang twice the size of the 1.6, maybe the weight thing is right though I guess I'll find out. Plus 10 bolts are 1/2 ton axles, stronger than dang little yota axles, besides I already said I'm gonna run 35's and 10 bolts can handle those just fine, I know cause I got one in my Z71 with 35's and a Detroit EZ locker and I've dogged that thing and it's never broken anything.

As far as the 2.8 I had never heard anything about it b4, so I figured it be alright, oh well already bought it so it's goin in anyway. As far as 10 bolts not holding up I seriously have always heard they stand up fine to 35's, um by alot of very experienced people as well so I don't know why you guys are trashing 10 bolts I guess you have a reason, but same as the engine I already got the axles so there goin in anyway.

just for the record I was not dogging you on your intended swap just saying what I was doing and wished ya good luck.

as for 10bolt over yota's-- I'll stick with yota's. good luck and hope it works.

I'm no trying to put you down as well just trying to help.
I know you've already bought the engine but there still is
time to reconsider. Did the sami come with an engine and trany?
I'm figuring the engine was prob locked up. You won't
have to remove as much of the wheel wells now but remember
that thing came with a straight 4 and now you are adding a V6.
Check the factory specs on both engines weigh/HP I doubt there
is enough difference to matter. I don't have a problem with the axles
at all they are 1/2 ton and with that small of a rig should be fine.
They aren't my preference but that doesn't matter. Check
Pirate Black Board before you do the engine swap and get those people's
opinion. There are alot of people who have converted their sami's.

Yea when I bought it it had engine/tranny/tcase all in it but the enginge had a hole the size of a quarter in the block and the tranny was no good but the tcase was good so I junked the engine and tranny and sold the tcase.

Anyway, yea your probably right about the weight equalizing the horsepower gain out, but I still wont be loosing anything so why try and put a samurai motor back in? I realize it would be easier, but it's not gonna be too hard to swap that V6 in. Also whats good about the 2.8 is later on down the road if I want I can stroke out the motor and there is alot of aftermarket parts for it to really build it into a strong little engine if I want.

Plus another key issue here with the 2.8 is the T4 bolts right up to it and My Dana 300 will bolt right up to it so I can twin stick my rig which is something I definitly want to do.

Okay...
At Ricky's request I took out the chit chat in this thread. It's re-opened now also at his request.

Ricky, face it dude... your project is going to draw some criticism -- consider that free education. For those who are inclined to criticize, please make it CONSTRUCTIVE. Add something of value or DON'T add anything. Also, Ricky, try to keep the thread on topic. That is, the topic of the SAMMY BUILD. If you wanna post shots of your other projects, do that in another thread or somethin'.

Fair enough?

99% of the "chit chat" posted was more than constructive advice. he's just obviously too ignorant to listen to anyone, which is his choice and fine with me but don't whine about it when people call you out. it's obvious to me you have less than half a clue about anything automotive related, much less a project of this nature and imo don't belong here if you're not the least bit willing to listen and learn, but i don't make the rules. if you insist on using this crap, fine... ignore the comments. just please quit justifying what you're doing though, you have zero ground to stand on.

Read the post above

jrraw23 said:
I definitly understand when people give the critism that they are just trying to help, and I welcome any help considering I'm not half as experienced as some of you guys.
Thanks

If you'll notice everyone was at first telling me a V8 and 40's would never work, and look at what my plans changed to: V6 and 35's.

no one said a damn word about a v6 and 1/2 ton axles either (especially not a 2.8 and 10 bolts), that's all i have to say. that's an even more ridiculous choice than 1 tons and a v8, you went backwards.

jrraw23 said:
If you'll notice everyone was at first telling me a V8 and 40's would never work, and look at what my plans changed to: V6 and 35's. Thats all I have to say.

According to your own post, your plans changed because you bought that pile of a Jeep.

It just seems like you make up your mind, and then come here looking for validation, by asking a few "questions" or telling what you just "scored", and get a little defensive when we don't agree with your decisions...

Just my point of view on that...

A stroked 2.8 is just a polished turd... and how much are you going to have to dump into that, and what kind of power can you really expect? How will that transmission take it? what about the clutch? at stock power levels, it's marginal on power, and no higher than a 4-popper that will bolt in and be lighter.

As for why the axles are marginal, the Toy's just plain work, and steering/lockers/etc are dirt cheap, and hold up well. When's the last time you saw a 10 bolt with 38's with easy upgrades that held up to REAL wheeling? Why not examine other choices now instead of just jumping at the first deal that comes your way? You never mentioned about what gearing those 10b's are.. Toy's come 4.10. 2 more words: ground clearance. I can go on and on... a 10 bolt is not terribly weak, it's roughly a Dana44 (Though a 10bolt has NO business in a full-size vehicle, especially in the rear), but if you're gonna wheel it...

Good points, as far as the engine I am now thinking perhaps it wasnt the best idea, but it's been paid for and I got it already so as of now it still is going in. As far as 10 bolts go, once again I already got em, there stock gears but I plan on going pretty high with that to make up for lack of engine power. Thanks for the input and you def got me thinking about that 2.8 but like I said I already got it :confused: so unless someone wants to trade it with me for something a T4 bolt up to . . . :D

jrraw23 said:
Good points, as far as the engine I am now thinking perhaps it wasnt the best idea, but it's been paid for and I got it already so as of now it still is going in. As far as 10 bolts go, once again I already got em, there stock gears but I plan on going pretty high with that to make up for lack of engine power. Thanks for the input and you def got me thinking about that 2.8 but like I said I already got it :confused: so unless someone wants to trade it with me for something a T4 bolt up to . . . :D

I notice you fdon't have a T4 yet, so how is getting an engine the T4 bolts up to your limiting factor?

I'd suggest selling the 2.8 to somebody else who doesn't know what they are buying.
find a motor/tranny combo that bolts in directly; Judging from your posts, it seems that's the only way this thing would have a prayer to get done this decade.

jrraw23 said:
I thought about trying to sell the motor but I don't Know of anyone who wants one.
there is a reason for that, you need to just start over as tough as that sounds. get some toys and a 1.6, hell even a stock 1.3 is a better idea than that 2.8. the 2 worst motors of all time are the olds 350 diesel and the 2.8 IMO. how much aftermarket support have you found for that motor? are you sure the napa in bum- -nowhereville is going to have the replacement parts you need when you cobbled together machine breaks apart :rolleyes: ? im with rich, show me some cheap 10 bolts that take 38's without major breakage. oh and dont type some about how im hating on all your threads all the time, maybe if you came up with a good idea i might say somthing good about it

jrraw23 said:
I thought about trying to sell the motor but I don't Know of anyone who wants one.
fawk i typed a good detailed reply and it locked up on me. the gist of it was there is a reason for ^^ that quote, they are ty motors and you will hate yourself down the road if you waste time putting it in. and im with rich on the toys, they are cheaper to build than 10blts; i also said scrap what you have even if it hurts and start over with some toys and a 1.6. and the last part was dont say im hating on your threads all the time, i have a reason for it, when you do somthing intelligent with one of your trucks ill type somthing nicer. that was it

Back