Random pic thread.

What's the ID, OD, and length of the bearing, ID of housing, and OD of pinion?

What's the ID, OD, and length of the bearing, ID of housing, and OD of pinion?

@woodrow has the old bearing with him today. I'd have to Google all that right now.
It's crazy that this bearing is pretty much totally obsolete. But feel free to see for yourself. Torrington part number is DC 57524. It supercedes to a Timkin, then to a GM number and on down the line.

That pinion support bearing is supposedly totally obsolete. Period. Like no NOS, nobody makes a revised one, nothing.

There are a few options to correct this. Make a bronze bushing (like an input shaft pilot bearing) and install it where the roller bearing was. You can also bore the housing for the more common bearing.

Have people done the bronze bushing method, and how long has it lasted? Intuitively, it sounds like a poor solution for wear and axial tolerance if a roller bushing was spec'd for that application.

Have people done the bronze bushing method, and how long has it lasted? Intuitively, it sounds like a poor solution for wear and axial tolerance if a roller bushing was spec'd for that application.

People have done it with mixed results, admittedly. That was a solution suggested to us by a very reputable vendor.
Seeing the pinion support bearing has much, much less load applied on it than either of the tapered roller bearings, I feel like it would last relatively well for a trail only rig.
But, I'm no engineer nor do I have the expertise on such a topc that yourself or others do.
I'm just the gullible buddy that said "Bring your Jeep over and I'll be happy to install lower gears. Shouldn't take more than a few hours..."

@Jody Treadway I found something that says the bearing ID is 1.235", OD 1.625" (1-5/8") and length 3/4". Buy this bearing from McMaster McMaster-Carr or something equivalent, and press on a 1.233-1.234" ID, 1.374-1.375" OD sleeve. Ideally, make the sleeve OD oversize and turn it down in place. That gives you a 0.070" wall thickness, which isn't terrible.

Dumb question.
Its a 14 bolt.

Would a 3rd option not be to separate the axle tubes from the center and replace just the center with a "normal" bearing sized center (from the other axle) and maintain most of the link mount...Im a dumb electrician - Im sure it wont work - Im just asking.

Dumb question.
Its a 14 bolt.

Would a 3rd option not be to separate the axle tubes from the center and replace just the center with a "normal" bearing sized center (from the other axle) and maintain most of the link mount...Im a dumb electrician - Im sure it wont work - Im just asking.

Well, if it wasn't trussed, maybe. But at that point it would be just as easy (or difficult) to swap the spare housing.

Dumb question.
Its a 14 bolt.

If it were that easy, half the TJs would have a D44 center section with D30/35 tubes and outers...o_O

If it were that easy, half the TJs would have a D44 center section with D30/35 tubes and outers...o_O
I told you up front I was a idjit and just asking.

Now I know.

What’s the longevity of the brass bushing?

What’s the longevity of the brass bushing?

I have seen varying results from people who tried it.
We found out the castings are the same between the big and small pilot housings, so opening up the hole isn't a big deal. It's just that the hole is approx 6" down in the housing. May have some bit chatter due to the distance.
My next 14 Bolt I run into like this will be machined immediately.
The truck shop parts dude was beyond helpful. He's gonna put us in touch with someone (supposedly) who has more bearings with the same dimensions for some other application.

I saw where Busted Knuckle started doing it in their high horsepower hill killing buggy. I don't see it lasting as long as a roller bearing but there's two other massive pinion bearings that will help cut down on the radial play.

I'd try the bushing route in a pinch, but then again I've got access to a mill and dumb enough to try stuff.

I told you up front I was a idjit and just asking.

Now I know.
I'm just giving you a hard time because it's Friday and I feel like it. Also you didn't understand the irony of my post. A TJ D44 is basically a D30 with a D44 center section.

@Jody Treadway I found something that says the bearing ID is 1.235", OD 1.625" (1-5/8") and length 3/4". Buy this bearing from McMaster McMaster-Carr or something equivalent, and press on a 1.233-1.234" ID, 1.374-1.375" OD sleeve. Ideally, make the sleeve OD oversize and turn it down in place. That gives you a 0.070" wall thickness, which isn't terrible.
Done this before...not this application though.

This popped up in my facespace feed. Has it really come to this?

View attachment 291766

My upstairs toilet is sleek and modern and weighs 120 pounds, so that would be nice to have for my upcoming flooring and plumbing projects. But, that jack would also not be able to locate to any features on my toilet because it's sleek and modern.

My upstairs toilet is sleek and modern and weighs 120 pounds, so that would be nice to have for my upcoming flooring and plumbing projects. But, that jack would also not be able to locate to any features on my toilet because it's sleek and modern.

Same here. I have a wax ring to replace on an integrated tank/base that weighs like 120 lbs in a very small bathroom. Not looking forward to the chiropractor visits to follow

I saw where Busted Knuckle started doing it in their high horsepower hill killing buggy. I don't see it lasting as long as a roller bearing but there's two other massive pinion bearings that will help cut down on the radial play.

Yeah, the only function of the roller is to support the pinion end to stop pinion deflection. A bushing would be able to do that until it got worn, depending on pinion loads.

This popped up in my facespace feed. Has it really come to this?

View attachment 291766
I have met you, you probably reach down and grab the tank and walk out. My luck the tank would bust the base. I'd fall face First into the bowl after the back spasm and head butt the now unsupported tank on the way in.

Over the years I got incredibly strong for a period, but only within a 18 length from center mass. I literally strained like a 2nd grade wimp trying to reseal my FIL toilet this fall.

I used a Fernco wax-free seal for this last one, because it was a new toilet and I could stick to the fresh porcelain instead of old wax. But I just walked it off a pair of 2x4s on each side to get it positioned, instead of lifting it and setting it in place in one motion.

Back