pulling jeep with tow dolly?

And when you break an axle shaft (or worse) on the mighty D35, how are you gonna get it home?

It's just my opinion, but if you're playing hard enough to tow, then put it on a full trailer.
A Jeep is one of the few vehicles on the road that can be flat towed without drive line modifications. Before my TJ grew up to be a trailer queen it was flat towed everywhere. I still flat tow my ZJ behind my motorhome. If you follow owners manual instructions all will be well as long as your Jeep is mechanically sound. If it was not designed to be flat towed then it is very unlikely that Daimler/Chrysler would have opened itself up to litigation by stating in an owners manual how to flat tow. Again I agree if your going to play hard, then be prepared, have a trailer.

Death wish.
A Tow truck can handle this because of the weight of it. By lifting the rear wheels you lave 75% of your weight on the ground with no brakes, when you stop the damn thing is going to want to run you over....not to mention way....I shudder to think of a backwards tow dolly.
Now listen please. I generally only casually care about how all yall Yankee Carolinians drag your crap about, but when you come down south you are getting waaaaay too close to home.
Buy, rent, borrow, hell steal a trailer for all I care, but Id rather not see ya use a tow dolly, and damn sure dont ass load it.
just a thought unless you own a tow dolly, Sunbelt will rent ya a trailer with surge brakes for not much more than the cost of the dolly.

What do you mean the tow truck can handle the weight of it?
the tow truck that towed my shit wasn't anything fancy...actually an old pos ford pickup style....i think an f250 or whatever from the 80's
and 75% of the weight on the ground.....stopping and having the thing run you over? I don't understand what you mean by that either.
I can understand how backwards could be a little iffy.
I own a tow dolly and have used it many times with no problems, with our suburban as the tow rig.

And don't go callin' me a yankee....born and raised in the south and proud of it!

ok, i am the person who originally put this post up. thank you everyone for your input. to the guy in clemson though, i am not a yankee i grew up in florence ,sc ,so i am more of a redneck than you! thanks though. - tripp. so who's going this weekend to gulches to compete. I WILL BE IN A TAN YJ PULLED BY A WHITE FORD. SEE YOU THERE! CLEMSON GUY, THATS TO CLOSE TO YOUR HOME FOR YOU NOT TO BE THERE. :beer::beer::beer:

I towed my YJ all the way to Tellico from Raleigh and back on the exact same dolly posted in the thread as a warning on dollies. The neck was straightened out, almost fully. I also use an '03 6cyl GMC Envoy to do it. I strapped it down with the front wheels on the dolly because it is made to be used that way. I did disconnect my driveshaft because it is incredibly easy to do and my t-case had issues disengaging. Just take it easy and adjust your driving style. This is the first thing I have towed other than pulling a boat in and out of the water. Made it all the way down Trail 1 at Tellico too until whatever the big creek crossing is that we stayed on the other side of.

To solve all the problems just take an extra 5 mins to pull the rear drive shaft that way there is no chance of burning up the transfer case. I towed my cruiser all over N.C. and TENN. with no problems the only down fall is if you run boggers or swampers etc. you will need to change out the rear tires so you dont wear out those high dollar tires. if the dollie is all you have pull the shaft go and have a good time take spare rear axle shafts you may never brake but there is always that chance. go wheeling and have fun!!!!:vt:

funny stuff

first off, thanks to everyone who tried to help me with the post. heres the funny part. after all this info exchanged i got the tow dolly and never freakin thought about this: the straps are made to fit a honda or maybe a stock jeep with 28 or so inch tires. i feel like a dumbask because this was never thought of and i have 34 inch tires. luckily the place i rented from did have a 16 foot trailer which we were able to get and this is crazy to, it was actually $20 cheaper a day. so thank you everyone but really none of us with off road rigs should ever use a tow dolly because they are made for stock vehicles. i am about to get to sleep for a few hours before we leave from the motel at 7:15 am to drive 9 miles to Gulches ORV Park for the competition. the trailor was pulled easliy behind a 5.4 liter ford f-250( non diesel ). THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:beer::beer::beer::poop:

Back