pulling jeep with tow dolly?

raleighjeep

I am going to use a tow dolly to pull my jeep to the Gulches competition on March 1st and I have been told different things. Even though i will have trans in neutral do I still need to disconnect the drive shaft? PLEASE HELP! - Tripp

i've done it a few times with a few different jeeps. tow dollys arent the safest but i wouldnt worry about it messing up the internals of your jeep. make sure the tranny and tcase are in neutral. no need to disco the driveshafts

I put my trans in 2nd gear, D20 in neutral, and leave the driveshafts connected. I think this is the factory recommended procedure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't putting it in double neutral make the gears not spin, not lubircating the tcase and tranny?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't putting it in double neutral make the gears not spin, not lubircating the tcase and tranny?

i think since the rear wheels are turning that in turn, turns the gears.......but since both cases are in neutral they arent engaged.

i could be wrong however.

its a 95 wrangler with a np231 transfer. really want to know for sure so i dont mess up my jeep. thanks for the knowledge everyone.

If there is any question in your mind...pull the driveshaft from the axle with wheels on the ground and unlock hubs(if any). Then you should be good with any drivetrain combo.

I'm not recommending it but I flat towed my willys, which has a 97 wrangler drivetrain (np231 tranfer), all the way to Colorado and back last summer. I had the trans and transfercase in neutral with the driveshafts connected. Nothings has blown up so far!

I think Rat Rod has your answer there...Good Luck & Be Careful with the tow...!!

you will need to disconnect your driveshaft to be safe!! the driveshaft will still turn the rear part of your transfer case even if it is in neutral and can run the possibility of burning up the transfer case and if you dont put the transfer case in neutral then the trans internals turn also and can run the risk of burning up!! hope this helps ya

you will need to disconnect your driveshaft to be safe!! the driveshaft will still turn the rear part of your transfer case even if it is in neutral and can run the possibility of burning up the transfer case and if you dont put the transfer case in neutral then the trans internals turn also and can run the risk of burning up!! hope this helps ya
Nah, run them both in neutral without dropping the shaft. The oil pump on the t-case runs off of the rear output shaft on the 231. It'll still be pumping the fluid even in neutral. It'll be fine. Many a newer, np231 equipped jeep has been flat towed behind RVs for tens of thousands of miles with no problem.:beer:

my imput

All I have read says for YJs
Transfer in neutral
Tranny in 5th gear
ignition switch on to unlock steering column
and it is a good idea to stop very 200 to 250 miles and crank her up and let her run to coat the Tranney good.
that is to tow with 4 wheels down

with the tyranny in 5th the gear is still turning which slings up the fluid and keeps it lubed. Getting ready to do the tow bar on my 92 yj in line six fuel injected so I can pull it behind my motor home.

Did the same thing with my 87 Suzuki samurai except instead of
5th gear I used second gear. Pulled it behind a motor home.
good luck

And when you break an axle shaft (or worse) on the mighty D35, how are you gonna get it home?

It's just my opinion, but if you're playing hard enough to tow, then put it on a full trailer.

And when you break an axle shaft (or worse) on the mighty D35, how are you gonna get it home?

just keep on dragging it. Eventually it will COMPLETELY trash the axle so you have to replace it.

Anyone ever see the thread where the guy lost his wheels or shafts and wheels on his D35 while towing behind his motorhome? Ended up with a nicely shaved housing..... and ring gear... and carrier.... :D

I think there's more to blame in that story than just the tow dolly. I've towed many different things, many many miles on a tow dolly and never had a problem, except a little unstable when I used a short wheel-base vehicle as the tow rig (an xj)

my question for this thread would be: has anyone ever towed something on a tow dolly backwards? If i break an axle shaft in the rear up at URE, i was toying with the idea of strapping the rear axle down and tying the steering wheel straight and towing it like that. The only problem i can see is not being able to make more sharp turns since there won't be any wheels to turn to assist the small range of movement of the deck. Anybody ever done this?

I've had my xj towed by a tow truck before and they lifted the rear wheels up and dragged the front and it seemed fine.

my question for this thread would be: has anyone ever towed something on a tow dolly backwards?

Death wish.
A Tow truck can handle this because of the weight of it. By lifting the rear wheels you lave 75% of your weight on the ground with no brakes, when you stop the damn thing is going to want to run you over....not to mention way....I shudder to think of a backwards tow dolly.

Now listen please. I generally only casually care about how all yall Yankee Carolinians drag your crap about, but when you come down south you are getting waaaaay too close to home.

Buy, rent, borrow, hell steal a trailer for all I care, but Id rather not see ya use a tow dolly, and damn sure dont ass load it.

just a thought unless you own a tow dolly, Sunbelt will rent ya a trailer with surge brakes for not much more than the cost of the dolly.

Back