Project Piggy Bank - 83 FJ60 Landcruiser

Got a little progress.
image.jpg

What a PITA with the sliders in the way!

Got some spring hangers I am working on that are 3/8" worth if beef! With any luck I hope to hang the springs next weekend.

Thanks Scott. I'm going to incorporate a portion of the grill if I can ever get around to bending tube. I forgot how much work infants are o_O . It's hard to make progress in sporadic 30 minute intervals. Wife won't let me grind and bang on stuff while the toddler is napping on the weekends and it's been rainy and cold lately at night.

I've got the front hangers on with clamps and my shackle angle looks good. I've got to clean the front axle up and figure out how to raise the damn thing another 18" so I can put weight on the axle to set pinion angles.

I was originally shooting for it to be back in action by the 25th, but reality is sinking in...

Maybe I will bring a helmet and a diaper and jump in with you!:rockon:

Just about the time you question your sanity for undertaking a project like this outside on jackstands in the dirt you get enough progress to gain some motivation and push forward.

Front springs are hung. All of this stuff will get tacked in before I set pinion angles and such. I figure it is less work to cut a few tack welds loose than it is to completely cut something off to move it (or smash it and throw away).

photo 3.JPG

EDIT - I have no idea why it keeps flipping these images over. They are ok on the computer. :flipoff:

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
This is about 1.5" low from ride height. I have the rim rolled forward about where the mount will be when I flip the springs. I think it should work with the steering. It has the Cali look with the rear riding low. Time to hack all of the rear mounts up now and mount my E350 springs.

photo 1.JPG

EDIT: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.:kaioken:

Got the rear leaves dropped and brakets removed from the frame. Hoping to set it back on all fours this weekend and set pinion angle on the rear. Have to wait till the rear is set so I can put in a modified rear spring pack in the front flipped around to stretch the front.

Anybody have a Saginaw pump bracket for a 2F?

image.jpg

Well after several months of this thing being on jack stands, I finally got it sat back down on the tires sprung over. Modified rear cruiser leaves with shackle reversal in front and E250/350 with overload leaf removed on the rear.

Initial 11:30pm measurements are 24" to frame and 22 1/2" to belly skid on 36s

Going to try and set pinion angles today.

One tricky part of looks like the forward mount of the track bar.
image.jpg

I cut the spring hangers in the rear off and adjusted them for a better shackle angle at ride height. Bolted up the rear and clocked the pinion to take a look. Ended up using f250 spring plates with reused cruiser u bolts.

Got to find time to tackle the front now.

image.jpg

Made my spring packs for the front and welded all of the hangers and tubes up on the front. Set pinion angle on the front and started to take it apart again. Now I understand why the diff cut perch from Ruffstuff is the hot ticket. I still plan on making something work with what I have.

My helper played with wrenches, sockets, and soap stone pencils while I did a lot of head scratching. Productive weekend.
image.jpg

What a job this is. I set a goal a few weeks back to log at least one hour per week on this thing. Pitiful...
A couple weeks ago I told myself "The heck with a cut and turn if stuff clears". Well it did not.

I've been pushing hard this week with about an hour each night. 9-10. To get the front axle torn down. With any luck and some time I will turn the knuckles this weekend. One side is torn down and ready for the grinder.

image.jpg

image.jpg
Shake down run is a dream I keep having. It seems like you may be ahead of me on the completion date. I like the idea of a dual shake down run but I don't to hold up a real rig! Let me know when you roll, I'd like to be there.

Between mowing, Daddy daycare, and a pool party w a 3 yr old in the front yard but I did get some progress. Got all of the complicated maffises figured on. Factory is set a 4 degrees. I'm thinking that I may be at 6. I'm worried that at full droop my springs may contact the drag link. Will probably go 6 with just a tack and assemble one side to check clearance. I've already installed and remove the axle 15 times... Why on one more to make sure it's right?!?

Started the cut when I got cut off. Maybe after kids go to sleep. Maybe another day.

Back