Project Lowrider: Dropped the YJ about 3" this week... ditching 2" body tomorrow...

Erik

Before:

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0630.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0629.jpg

After:

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0796.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0799.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0798.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0797.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0800.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0801.jpg

this was done before i lowered the front....

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0791.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0795.jpg

ditching 2" body tomorrow...

i still need to move my shock mounts and possibly get longer shocks, bumpstop the springs and axles, add a full lenth leaf to the rear to help keep those springs from twisting any more than they already are, build a traction bar for the rear and possibly the front once i do the xj spring swap, etc... far from done but WOW what an improvement....

Looks alot better. I bet it rides better too.

the difference is night and day already, I'm sure once you loose the 2" body it is going to sit about perfect. I bet the performance difference will be awsome.

it rides like a dream... i didn't know a leaf sprung jeep on 40" boggers could ride this well, haha

i still have a lot of work to do though.... if i don't address this axle wrap and do something like... add another main leaf..... i'm going to destroy these springs with the quickness

-Erik <--- granny shiftin!

I like the stance now. Mine sits just a tad taller than that right now because I'm using waggy leaves on all 4 corners, but I'm sure once I take it for the first drive, it will settle some. Without the 2" BL it should be super low - I like it. What springs are you using in the front now?

right now i'm using the same superlift 3.5" springs that have been on the jeep for almost 4 years, bent from inverted shackles at least 4 times, and bashed on every rock at uwharrie at least once.

they are horribly worn.... hoooorrrrribly...... i removed the leaf that had the clips/wraps on it.... probably a bad idea but since this is just temporary until i swap in the xj leaf packs in the next month or two i think i'll be allright :)

haha, yea... i hear the xj springs may give me some trouble. i'm somewhat scared of the swap to xj's to be honest... but i wanted a few more inches of wheelbase and they seemed like a pretty simple way to get it.... and i plan to run a front anti-wrap bar if axle wrap becomes a problem anyway... so.... could it really be that bad?

i'm somewhat concerned about caster (though easily fixed with shims) b/c the centering pin is no longer in the center of the arch.....

oh well, we'll see... maybe i'll just coilover it with a 4 linka nd panhard bar :) unlikely....

anyone that has done the front xj leaf pack swap please feel free to educate me to your loves and hates of the swap......

-Erik

It's taken you how long to do this now and I've been telling you for how long to lower it? Glad to see you finally realized bigger is not always better.Glad to see your moving to the low lift big tire gets the job done type of wheeling. You'll enjoy the perfomance/feeling of it more especially when you start doing more challenging things like Tellico, paragon,gray rock ect. Hate to say it but I told ya so :flipoff2:

you never told me anything except "lower it" ass mucher!

it looked cool when it was all huge.... got a lot of girls :) but now i'm low and wide and i proved tonight after a quick stop at the hess on market that i can still pull numbers even low to the ground!

-Erik

PS- your rubicon is taller and it's only running 35's. LOWER IT TOO!

no need to fight. i'm always right. always have been. always will. i'm a winner. always a winner. and if you're not first, you're last. (love that movie)

action photo from tonight!

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_CIMG0822Medium.jpg

oh hell the 4 bangers comin out!
maybe itll sound better now too.

PS beer definetly makes workin on shit better.

Hell, I thought it was perfect for 44's the way it was. I'm really just jealous.

ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.... I've started a project or 2 for the first time with a beer or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 and it doesn't make workin on shit better....

44's would have been cool except my 4 banger wouldn't turn them even with 5.38 gears, haha

going back to the shop now.... damn i'm tired....

It was too high now its too wide, nah, looks good. I'm going thru all the trouble to move the rear spring buckets up just to lower mine 3/4 inch when I swap axles. I need to redo the shackle mounts like yours.

yeah beer sometime can fuck you up but when your polishing a terd like eriks jeep.......
haha just kiddin erik.:lol:

whats going in in place of the 4 cyl? or are you just taking it out to ditch the body lift?

I've got a 5.7 hemi sitting in the corner of the shop right now that i just picked up today(that would look good in there)

Someone needs to claim it for a project before i buy a little dakota and stuff it in there(i already have too many projects)

oh hell the 4 bangers comin out!
maybe itll sound better now too.

my 4 banger was the best and meanest sounding 4 banger of all time. i was always asked whether i had a small block swap, hehe. i hate the sound of the 4.0.... i guess i'm gonna have to start saving for a huge cam so i can tolerate the exhaust tone :fuck-you:

That's good to see. It's going to feel like a totally different vehicle now.

it drives 1,000,000 times better... and although i hven't really tried to flex it much yet i can already tell ya it's going to be extremely different and probabaababbaly a little hard to get used to wheeling.....

It was too high now its too wide, nah, looks good. I'm going thru all the trouble to move the rear spring buckets up just to lower mine 3/4 inch when I swap axles. I need to redo the shackle mounts like yours.

it was too high.... i loved the way it looked... and those springs were so stiff that ont he road it drove really well believe it or not... it just wasn't smooth.... AT ALL.... haha. i get all my suspension pieces from ruff stuff specialties..... great prices, great products, and great service.... can't realy ask for more than that....

yeah beer sometime can fuck you up but when your polishing a terd like eriks jeep.......
haha just kiddin erik.:lol:

i've drank way too much in the last 23 hours i've been wrking on this thing to understand yoru gibberish :fuck-you:

whats going in in place of the 4 cyl? or are you just taking it out to ditch the body lift?
I've got a 5.7 hemi sitting in the corner of the shop right now that i just picked up today(that would look good in there)
Someone needs to claim it for a project before i buy a little dakota and stuff it in there(i already have too many projects)

putting in 4.0 and aw4. no way would i, or anyone the least bit sober, pull an engine for a body lift. i can do a body lift in under an hour.... it would take that long just to unhook wires and crap to remove the engine.....

as for a hemi swap..... pass. i don't like the mei.... but i'm settle for a sbc.... fro free!

pictures coming soon

HAHA
well when you get that thing finished man we need to get up and go fishin down there and lake sutton and drink some beer.

i like beer.....

i hope to have it running tomorrow night, HOPEFULLY.... tuesday or wednesday is more realistic though :(

this wiring mess is really kicking my ass

Back