Post up your BBQ pics, rub recipes, sauce stories and all things BBQ!

There's something other than BBQ?! Heresy! Everything can be cooked on the grill or pit. :)

Exactly! Just look at the pic of my grilled cake!!

On the topic of rubs, I suggest throwing away all the flavorless crap you buy in the little plastic bottles at the grocery store. Penzey's is the place to go! Google says there is one at Woodburn and Clark in Raleigh, or mail order http://www.penzeys.com/. Walking around that store with the spice samples to sniff is fantastic.

Second best 'round phoenix is Costco. Their smoked paprika made my rub come alive. I'll be sure to post my pork butt rub recipe as soon as I get my binder unpacked.

2013-07-14_09.34.19.jpg
2013-07-14_19.10.19.jpg

hand rubbed both sides, coated in homemade sauce, cooked in tinfoil for 2 hours at 200f, uncovered coated with more sauce, bumped it to 250f for and hour, I seriously could live off of pork ribs!!

Penzey's is the place to go! Google says there is one at Woodburn and Clark in Raleigh, or mail order http://www.penzeys.com/. Walking around that store with the spice samples to sniff is fantastic.

It's in Cameron Village and, as you said, unbelievable experience to walk around and smell the samples. One almost knocked my head back one day - need to add that to my rub!

Last edited:
its about to be on!!! wife surprised me with permission to get a sidebox smoker!!
uploadfromtaptalk1374443747363.jpg

scared to death!!!!!

Didn't grill it, but I seared and roasted pork loin on Saturday and made up some sautéed onions and spicy honey mustard from scratch... 3# and 4.5 people (Sara eats well for her age/size :lol: ) and it just about disappeared.

I vote me to be a judge!!!! of course I would have to have a few Lone Riders to wash it all down tho.....

I have a hamburger smoking technique that's very good and was learned from an old neighbor from S.C. You must find and pull off some loose bark from Shagbark Hickory trees, get alot as you'll need it and probly want more after trying this recipe. Break the brittle bark w a hammer or pliers into small pieces approx. 2x1" and soak them in water 6-8 hrs. Get a hot, deep bed of coals that covers the bottom blazing well in a Webber or other grill w a lid and vents on top. Make the burgers medium sized and lay them on the grill grate, off the grill, after burning the residue off it as the fire will be very hot and if they all go on at once they'll cook the same. You'll want to put about 20 burgers on a Webber or nearly cover your grills grate w them. Drain the chips briefly and toss a heaping, both hands cupped together amount on the hot coals, and put the lid back on for 3-5 mins or until it smokes like crazy. Then carefully remove the lid, lay the grate/meat on and close lid for 3-5 mins. w the vent wide open. Open carefully and flip them and close again for 3-5 mins. They cook fast from the intense heat and dense smoke. It is possible to do 2 or more batches adding more bark each time and smoking a lil longer as the coals cool and it's a great way to feed a crowd. These burgers have a strong Hickory taste and are very different from typical grilled burgers w a red smoke ring some may mistake for an undercooked burger. You can top them anyway you like but the guy who showed me liked only mustard and a thick slice of onion and those simple toppings go great w the flavor of the Shagbark.

Last edited:
I agree on the no rules idea - KCBS and the others are up to their [...] in bs that just makes things not fun. We do need at least some official categories tho if we're going to compare ribs to ribs, chicken to chicken, etc. Although... we could just let the judges declare an outright winner based on their overall impressions. Might make for some interesting strategies. Do I cook several items and one doesn't turn out well, ruining my overall score? Or do I just cook ribs and kick ass?! Hmmm... :)

I agree on the no rules idea - KCBS and the others are up to their [...] in bs that just makes things not fun. We do need at least some official categories tho if we're going to compare ribs to ribs, chicken to chicken, etc. Although... we could just let the judges declare an outright winner based on their overall impressions. Might make for some interesting strategies. Do I cook several items and one doesn't turn out well, ruining my overall score? Or do I just cook ribs and kick ass?! Hmmm... :)
What about peoples fav??? Put out donation buckets at each stop, most money raised for Friends of Ure wins??? Makes it fun and bragging rights and top 3 take a 50:30:20 split of the entry fees????

What about peoples fav??? Put out donation buckets at each stop, most money raised for Friends of Ure wins??? Makes it fun and bragging rights and top 3 take a 50:30:20 split of the entry fees????

That would work, as long as they sample all the entries before putting their money into the bucket. Maybe they buy tickets? I can always make it more complicated... :rolleyes:

That does sound good. If you're willing to go thru that process, here's a buddy's Jerk Chicken recipe:

Every time you add something, stir. I know you know this....

Jerk Chicken this will do 4-5 lbs...

Green Onions--2-3 bunches chopped white and green Garlic bulb (10 cloves)
Ginger med. Sized chunk
Red Onion 1/2 med size
Habanero or Serrano,Jalapeno or a milder 1 tablespoon
After chopping put all this in one bowl keep separate

In another larger bowl, put the following in:
Allspice 3 tbsp
Cinnamon 1/2 tbsp
Nutmeg 1/2 tbsp
Brown Sugar 2 tbsp
Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tbsp
Freshly ground Black pepper 1 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tbsp----I don't like to use much salt--makes chicken tough IMO on the grill

Now add your liquids to the spice bowl and slowly drizzle in the oil as you stir
Lime Juice 1 cup
Soy Sauce 1/2 cup or 1 cup if you want the chicken darker...
Red Wine vinegar 1 cup
Olive Oil or Canola Oil 1 cup

Let both mixtures sit overnight in the fridge, next morning combine them and let the marinade marinate until after work -- 8 hours or so. Then add chicken...I like to do piece by piece and give it a real good rubdown and let it marinate at least 12 hours...I turn my bag over every 2-3 hours .... Oh yeah give it a taste and see if the sweet and the heat are balanced if it tastes too hot, add some allspice or vice-versa.

Get some gloves to handle those peppers and don't be scratching down there either...

The process is a bit time consuming, but it is worth it

Butts with Bacon,
ai205.photobucket.com_albums_bb135_lisacraig1296_223485_2046296f6ae44c537a855aed82581c67b73a1a.jpg

tenderloin and Ribs
ai205.photobucket.com_albums_bb135_lisacraig1296_225055_2046294d4967a0a102dd7462ee1d19f11912c1.jpg

Back