Post up your BBQ pics, rub recipes, sauce stories and all things BBQ!

/dev/yj

Ralph Graw
Maybe this will become a sticky someday [pun intended]

A lot of us like to cook BBQ, whether at home, camping, catering, or at contests. Let's have a thread to show off and talk about the good times of preparing to cook, cooking, showing off the results, and hangin' out afterwards!

We've all posted in other threads at times, but if this gets popular, maybe even another sub-forum...? ;-)

Some pics to get us started:

100_0625.jpg . 100_0544.jpg . 100_0403.jpg

My son (a few years ago now) learning to be a pitmaster:

PA010022.JPG

Loaded with a case of ribs and a case of chicken (gentleman to my right has jerk chicken with habanero marinade out of this world):

32083_278535609996_507894996_891625_4200192_n.jpg

Okay! Now let's see yours! :beer:

I have a tragaer pellet cooker and love it.. We cooked 15lbs of wings and a 10 lbs of pork loin this weekend at the race.

Snappys bbq sauce
12 oz tom paste
1 Ts cayenne pepper
1 Ts paprika
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Ts honey
1 Ts maple sugar
2 Ts corn syrup
1 Ts garlic powder
1 Ts onion powder
1 ts black pepper

Blend in a blender then heat to hot and then let cool. Set in fridge over night and enjoy!

You know. I made a uds smoker and I have only used it a handful of times. Time to light a fire and smoke some chicken.

I foresee the great NC4x4 cook-off...

In the meantime, yes sir, I would love to cook some chicken. And maybe some ribs! And, I'll bet a Boston butt would do good on that thang too!

I foresee the great NC4x4 cook-off...

In the meantime, yes sir, I would love to cook some chicken. And maybe some ribs! And, I'll bet a Boston butt would do good on that thang too!
Lets do this at the fall jamboree at the UORTC!

I've been enjoying smoked/indirect grilled chicken wings/drummets on my Webber recently, simple and darn good. I cut the wingtips off for more room on the grill and season well w KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning and some Cavenders Greek seasoning, let'em sit a few hrs in the fridge and smoke them about an hr and they're really good w/o any sauce or dipped in any kind you like while eating them. It's getting hard to find the KC spice stuff in the grocerystore anymore and I found it at Walmart last time and need to get some more!!

Oct 11 across from the out post. There is a tread in the up coming events section
I should be game for that, except not sure how I can get my primo grill cooker there. Might have to smoke it at home and bring it out.

when you going to fire yours up?

Been slack and have let rust sneak up on me. Need to do some scrubbing, some scraping, some washing, and then put some fire to it! If I ever get the floor done downstairs (replacing the soggy carpet from the topical storm), then that will be the next project cuz I'm getting hungry for some ribs and stuff.

I think I started the thread mostly to put myself on the spot to get it done! :rolleyes:

I'm game for a little friendly competition. I wont know if i can make the jambo till the date gets closer..

BBQ wings.

dry rub:
3/4 cup paprika
3tbs brown sugar
3tbs white sugar
2tbs salt
1tbs celery salt
1tbs black pepper
1tbs crushed red pepper (can use cayenne if you want more heat)
1tbs dry mustard
1tbs garlic powder
1tbs onion powder

Apply dry rub to wings and let sit over night. Before putting them on the smoker apply a second coat of the rub. Smoke with hickory or apple till done. Best wings ever.

My buddies can't believe how particular I am about how I butcher my deer! I've got it divided up just like a cow, several different cuts for many purposes. I make my own burger, sausage, etc. Packaged in freezer paper and labeled too, it works out great!

I like to take some small steaks (usually from the bigger chunks of the ham) and fry them up with a simple flour breader. Zesty Italian also makes a great marinade for some loins or backstraps.

Anywhere you can use beef, you can use venison!

For some tasty chicken fried deer meat try smashing cutlets w a meat mallet and dredge in Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour. Fry in oil just enought to wet the bottlom of the pan about 2 mins a side and make a gravy w the drippings. I like to eat Lamb too, it reminds me of venison and has a strong flavor some do'nt care for. I take Lambchops ( like little T bones ) and season w s&p or Cavenders greek seasoning and spread Braswells mint jelly w leaves on them and sit for 1/2 hour maybe. Then grill on hot coals 3-5 mins per side to med rare, red and juicy in the middle, they're fantastic w some good red wine.

cut the backstraps up in about 1/2 thick medalions, get all the silver skin off, soak them in Dales marinade (you can get it most anywhere) for 15 or 20 minutes, wrap the medalions in thick sliced bacon, slide a toothpick through it to hold the bacon on, drop a couple of pickled halenpeno pepper rings on the toothpick and set on a hot grill (275 or so) let them cook until the bacon is crispy pull the toothpick out and devour!! warning..... if cooking for a crowd you better have several backstraps b/c they go fast!!

scared to death!!!!!

this is where it's at!
afbcdn_sphotos_g_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash4_333917_2342096952598_5214088_o.jpg

afbcdn_sphotos_g_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_frc1_329710_2342359719167_7193251_o.jpg

1 pound of sausage
thin sliced bacon
filling of your choice, I like peppers and cream cheese.

Put the sausage in a gallon zip lock bag and press it out until it's even thickness and as square as the bag. Cut away the top layer of the bag, put your filling in and roll it up. Make sure you close the ends.

On a cutting board create your bacon weave. It looks difficult, it isn't. There are a few good youtube videos on it, watching them will be easier than me trying to type the explanation. after you do it once it will take less than 2 minutes for each weave.

Slap your sausage roll on the edge of the weave mat, roll the whole thing up and flip it so the ends of the bacon weave are on the bottom. Throw it on the smoker for at least 3 hours. slice in 3/4" to 1" thick cuts to serve.

For desert, grill up some cake!

afbcdn_sphotos_c_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_ash4_p206x206_391073_2661876746893_1936668575_n.jpg

Ribs and Rub

Makes 6-8 racks

Rub ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Paprika
1/2 Tbsp. Cumin
1/4 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. White Pepper
1/4 tsp. Curry Powder
1/4 tsp. Ground Thyme
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1-1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Celery Salt
2 tsp. Chili Powder

Other ingredients:
Dark Brown Sugar
Sweet Baby Ray BBQ Sauce (love this sauce. I haven't tried making my own yet).

-Remove film from underside of ribs
- Put a layer of Dark Brown Sugar over top side of ribs, about 1/4" thick. Let sit for Approx. 20-30 minutes to allow the sugar to melt over the ribs.
-Mix up all rub ingredients while brown sugar melts.
-Apply rub to ribs on both sides. Not too heavy, but enough to cover.
-Wrap ribs in foil and refrigerate overnight....or at least a couple of hours if cooking same day.
-Heat oven to 250 degrees.
-Place ribs on cooking trays while still wrapped in foil. Be careful not to punch any holes in foil.
-Cook for 1.5 hours.
-Remove from the foil.
-Liberally coat with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and broil or grill until sauce glazes over. 15 to 20 minutes.

ENJOY!!

I'll see if I can get my wife's scratch made Mac and cheese. It's a meal in itself and its killer!

cut the backstraps up in about 1/2 thick medalions, get all the silver skin off, soak them in Dales marinade (you can get it most anywhere) for 15 or 20 minutes, wrap the medalions in thick sliced bacon, slide a toothpick through it to hold the bacon on, drop a couple of pickled halenpeno pepper rings on the toothpick and set on a hot grill (275 or so) let them cook until the bacon is crispy pull the toothpick out and devour!! warning..... if cooking for a crowd you better have several backstraps b/c they go fast!!

scared to death!!!!!

I do about the same thing w various amounts of Soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, a little oil of choice, Whorstchershire, and or red wine and cracked pepper, marinating chunks and making shish-kabobs w onion, mushrooms, peppers - whatever veggie you like and grilled only till the bacons safe to eat, and the deermeat is still bleeding! :D ...........I just made my mouth water typing this :smokin:

Back