Owner/builder for garage-shop build. Should I be scared?

I do not understand this mentality what so ever.

It's almost like some weird form of victim shaming. I keep seeing that kind of stuff though, and I'm not sure if people do it to make themselves feel better and convince themselves that something didn't actually happen, or that it's not going to happen to them.

A few people on social media said "what if the guy was looking for a friends house and it was all a mistake?".. .

Then he is criminally dumb...and if someone had been home hed be fatally dumb.

Anyway, we only have about 24 feet of rear yard now, if we want to respect the easement (just in case) and the rear-plane-of-house yard definition, so we're going to do an attached instead.

Last edited:
Talk to me about footer/slab design for an attached garage (with an open breezeway, garage not butted against the house). The breezeway attachment means that the garage slab can't just be a thickened slab (especially with our local clay), but what types of footer/slab are used for that in NC? A footer below frostline, with a floating slab? Frost-protected shallow foundation? I'm a bit clueless here.

I'm not going to be designing the foundation system myself, I just want to be able to talk intelligently to concrete contractors while trying to figure out what I need. Mostly so I know how much I'll cry when getting quotes.

After reading this whole thead, I now believe that your first quote will barely cover the cost of the project, never d the cost of moving utilities. If you do the project yourself, add 25% to his number. I don't think I have ever seen someone over complicate nearly every detail quite like you have :lol:

monolithic slab is all you'll need. no reason to do anything else plenty of buildings, houses, garages are built using them. set your post on pier pads set them then pour a 4" slab for the breezeway, just like a side walk.

Perfect, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. :beer:

I don't think I have ever seen someone over complicate nearly every detail quite like you have :lol:

It's how I learn. I ask questions, have discussions, etc. I'm not good at someone just telling me "do this, do this, and do this", because you don't learn anything from that. Whether or not I use the complicated route isn't the point, the point is that I learn why or why not it makes sense in a particular situation. You and I are obviously just wired differently, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If I knew all this stuff, and what the best route was, I wouldn't be asking questions. :p

Back