open center vs. full deck/dovetail or not

82" between the fenders, I believe they had mind done in 4-5 weeks, but I don't remember. Rich and I did have to go through the wiring and redo all the grounds.

also, how wide is yours between the fenders?

On a non-deckover, 83" +- 1" is as wide as you can go to stay inside the 102" OAW limit...

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a180_bigassedredjeep_random_shanes_20yj_P4100021.jpg

QUOTE]
Looks good, know what it weighs and what you going to pull it with? Got plans for WD hitch?
Question for you?
Where are the three center lights that show its a wide trailer and I'm going to look into it but, if I remember the brake/turn must be placed within one foot from the edge of the trailer.
That is what I remember from the DOT sheets and inspection when I was building trailers. I will see what I can find.

Looks good, know what it weighs -not yet, planning on weighing it this weekend

and what you going to pull it with? diesel excursion

Got plans for WD hitch? -not yet, gonna see how it pulls without it first

Question for you?
Where are the three center lights that show its a wide trailer -not on there yet...

and I'm going to look into it but, if I remember the brake/turn must be placed within one foot from the edge of the trailer. -let know what you find out, i'd like to know and i'm sure Kraftsman trailers would too, thanks

That is what I remember from the DOT sheets and inspection when I was building trailers. I will see what I can find.

the location of the lights is the one thing we wish we would have done different, and plans are in the works for changing/adding more lights to it... to give it that christmas time feeling:lol:

Where are the three center lights that show its a wide trailer and I'm going to look into it but, if I remember the brake/turn must be placed within one foot from the edge of the trailer.

Dude.. if companies will still sell a new 7k GVW trailer with brakes on only one axle and a breakaway box as an option, you really think they give a shit about the 3 center lights?

Seems like many builders build to be DOT compliant when the customer requests it, or it's convenient enough... :shaking:

Dude.. if companies will still sell a new 7k GVW trailer with brakes on only one axle and a breakaway box as an option, you really think they give a shit about the 3 center lights?
Seems like many builders build to be DOT compliant when the customer requests it, or it's convenient enough... :shaking:
Rich,
I was just going to try and put the info out there easy, I know, and you know, they don't give a shit. They just want to sell it.....
Problems I see with that setup. If towing two rigs.
Weight on the back of that tow rig and weight being towed.
A large enough hitch for the job. Must use WD.
Loading, without feet on the back of the trailer will really up load the ball and the back of the tow rig.
I would have thought this was for a 1 ton DRW set up.
Let us know how it works. Would bet the trailer is in the 4000 lb + and then add two 4000 to 4500 rigs your over 12000lbs.
Thats a lot for that type of tow rig.

You're right though, that is alot for a vehicle like that.. Funny how people wouldn't think towing it with a F-250 regular cab (the shortest wheelbase model they offer) would be a good idea, but the excursion isn't as good a tow rig as the 250 (but not by much)..

Oh well. Hopefully it'll work out.

You're right though, that is alot for a vehicle like that.. Funny how people wouldn't think towing it with a F-250 regular cab (the shortest wheelbase model they offer) would be a good idea, but the excursion isn't as good a tow rig as the 250 (but not by much)..
Oh well. Hopefully it'll work out.
Talked to a few guys last week at a N-SSA Shoot that they want to up grade the springs in the rear to f 350's if they can and they are only towing campers. Was told "they make them ride like a car and tow like shit." Point is way to soft for much weight and the hitch on most is a 10k hitch but I could be wrong, and I know they make the Titan class 5 aftermarket but not sure if for them.

I bet that trailer is under 4000lb. My goose (just like Rob's) weighs 3600 without the winch. His bumper pull has a little more steel in a few areas (tongue extension at spring hangers and drive-over fenders), but it has no gooseneck (500lb?). I'm interested to see, because I was sure the scales were wrong when I weighed my goose at only 3600.

My goose basically looks like that in the rear, but it has the 3 center lights. My brake/turn lights are in towards the center like that, so I'd like to know what the DOT says about it. I don't know a way around it with the ramps like they are, except to mount the lights sticking out the corners of the trailer, which I don't want to do.

I bet that trailer is under 4000lb. My goose (just like Rob's) weighs 3600 without the winch. His bumper pull has a little more steel in a few areas (tongue extension at spring hangers and drive-over fenders), but it has no gooseneck (500lb?). I'm interested to see, because I was sure the scales were wrong when I weighed my goose at only 3600.
My goose basically looks like that in the rear, but it has the 3 center lights. My brake/turn lights are in towards the center like that, so I'd like to know what the DOT says about it. I don't know a way around it with the ramps like they are, except to mount the lights sticking out the corners of the trailer, which I don't want to do.
Richard,
I had mine scaled and it was between 2500-2800 if I remember.
Going to look for the paper. There is a lot of steel in these trailers and most people don't on hook to get total trailer weight.
Maybe we need to have a weigh day and work with trailers to get set ups and weights, could be fun and lot of info.
Maybe get a DOT guy to give info on the law about trailers and tiedowns and so on with out tickets just like they do for the child safety seats....

A weigh-day would be cool if enough people want to do it.

Yes, I unhooked my trailer from my truck, and the jack and axles were on a separate scale segment from the truck. I'll find the weigh ticket tonite - I weighed it hooked up first, and then unhooked it.

A DOT guy would be good to talk to, if we can find one whose application of the rules is consistent and correct! :)

When I had the Ford... the total unloaded wight (truck only) was 6000# and with the Hudson (10K rated before the axles were upgraded to regular rims/ST "D" range tires vs the mobilehome style) it was 8200#...

The trailer has since had a mini-truck toolbox dropped into the A-frame and a healthy dose of spare Jeep parts added... so figure another 250#...

Richard,
I had mine scaled and it was between 2500-2800 if I remember.
Going to look for the paper. There is a lot of steel in these trailers and most people don't on hook to get total trailer weight.

I would agree most do not unhook and weight the trailer..

I while back yager had his brothers race car scales so I took advantage of that and had mine weighted.. I was very happy.. at that time it was 1976lbs.. i have since added the winch up front so I am sure it is over 2000lbs now..

but if you are gonna do a scale day and weight these things I would recommend finding someone with these type scales.. we put a scale under each tire and one under tongue to get weight..

I would agree most do not unhook and weight the trailer..
I while back yager had his brothers race car scales so I took advantage of that and had mine weighted.. I was very happy.. at that time it was 1976lbs.. i have since added the winch up front so I am sure it is over 2000lbs now..
but if you are gonna do a scale day and weight these things I would recommend finding someone with these type scales.. we put a scale under each tire and one under tongue to get weight..
I was thinking that or a truck stop so you can get the weight of rigs truck trailer and all some may hit 20k + and that may be a little much for a setup like that. be cool to get pin, ball, axle and all.....

My 22' weighs 2750# its 5" Channel open deck. I would simply run your truck over the scales at a truck stop, most allow a reweigh to a few more dollars, so you run across unhook run acrost empty, thats your weight.. If no one is behind you you could do it on separate scale segments.

While i did barrow my brother scales to weigh my jeep and a few friends items, they have a 6k total limit.

I do not have the scales at this time.

okay, so i'm going to kraftsman tomorrow to put a deposit on one. i have decided on closed deck with no dovetail.

mike, you've got a steak dinner coming your way.:flipoff2:

it's official, put a deposit on one. it's going to be 5-6 weeks before it's ready though. they're working on some big dot contract or something.

specs:

-32ft. bumper pull
-full deck
-outriggers to give 102" deck width
-drive over fenders
-spare tire/wheel and mount

ended up spending more than i had planned with the outriggers, but i think it'll be worth it in the long run for hauling fullsize stuff.

mike, he wrote your name down on my receipt/build sheet so you should be good! he remembered who you were.

Im sure he did :D I complained about the low tongue weight, (~200#) made them fix my ramp pin and bitched for about 10min about how crappy their wiring jobs are :)

Regardless, they make a good trailer at a fair price..

Ill let ya know when i get the diner thing.. :)

well, i'm starting to get a little frustrated with them. i was told a delivery time of 5-6 weeks, and i find out today thay haven't even started on the thing. i haven't even had the courtesy of a call from the salesman to inform me of the delay.

furthermore, when i called today to ask about the status, he didn't even recognize me as a customer. when he returned my call, he left a message on my phone as if i was an interested customer, giving me all the details, etc. of what they offer.

anyway, after clearing up that confusion for him he assured me i was first on the list after they finish their state contract and it will be ready in two weeks.

i can understand there being a delay, especially with them taking on such a large order from the state. i don't appreciate the lack of communication though. he did apologize alot today, and didn't make any lame exscuses which is good.

anyway, i'll post back with how it all works out. if it's not ready in two weeks, i'll be asking for my deposit back and going elsewhere.

mike, i can assume you probably haven't gotten your gift yet...?

i'll post back with how it all works out. if it's not ready in two weeks, i'll be asking for my deposit back and going elsewhere.
mike, i can assume you probably haven't gotten your gift yet...?
Mine took a little longer then they said to but it was done and done very good and they even did some extra stuff for free.
I was told about 4-6 weeks and it took 7-8 weeks.
Be sure to read the contract, When order is placed they will be no refund on deposit, best thing is to just ask them to add something for free for the time delay or something like that.
Not saying you will but if you go in and show your but it could take 10 weeks, does your paper work have a set time...I had them add a max time.
Mine said prices and timing subject to change.
Jon

they can refund the deposit if they want to. it's just to keep people from backing out right after ordering and them being stuck with a half built trailer, which i definitely understand and agree with. i feel like they should be receptive to a refund in this situation though, but who knows. i hope it doesn't come to that, i definitely don't want to go through the hassle of finding another place and waiting more.

like i said though, i don't really mind the extra time so much as i do the lack of communication and not even knowing who i was.

my contract/order sheet says 5-6 weeks.

i might call back and see if they'll give me anything more off, but i already worked them pretty hard on the price up front.

Back