open center vs. full deck/dovetail or not

RufusTheRam

i'm finalizing my options for ordering a trailer, and can't decide on these two things.

1.) the only advantage i can think of to a full deck is being able to work on something without laying on the ground.

i just don't know that a full deck is worth the extra weight and $600.

2.) i'd like a dovetail for loading my corvette and/or other low cars, but my concern is it dragging alot. i've towed alot of single car trailers without much trouble, but the overhang from the rear wheels is alot shorter on those. price isn't an issue with this, it's only a $50 option.

this is for a 32ft. bumper pull.

will you EVER want to put anything other than a car on this?
If no go open center.

If you think you could eever use it to help a friend move, etc. then full deck pays off.

Dove tail, Id say definite.
For cars its great, and if you ever have to push a vehicle on it pays for itself

no, i can't say i would have the need to haul anything other than vehicles on it. i have a 5x8 enclosed trailer i use for parts, furniture, or whatever.

a 32' is gonna have alot of overhang, but you didn't mention - deck-over, or low deck? If a low deck, a definite NO on the dove.

forgot that, low deck.

Model168.jpg

Don't get the dove..

Mines a low deck (20') with a 2ft dove, and I've never had a problem. Even pulling the trailer down the trail at Tellico that runs to the bottom of Upper 2. But the 32ft length and the extra rear overhang might not work well with the dove.

What gross weight for the trailer?

It's a 32 ft trailer... the belly is gonna drag as much if not more than the dove(i have a 34 so I can vouch). do the dove it's worth it. I'm in the process of adding a third axle to mine(in front of the current axles). I think it will really help with balancing the load and maybe less belly draggin. Oh and mine is open center. I have no problems with that it's more the width. Full-widths with some backspacing hang off.
ahome.naxs.com_dogman_jeeps.jpg

It's a 32 ft trailer... the belly is gonna drag as much if not more than the dove(i have a 34 so I can vouch). do the dove it's worth it. I'm in the process of adding a third axle to mine(in front of the current axles). I think it will really help with balancing the load and maybe less belly draggin. Oh and mine is open center. I have no problems with that it's more the width. Full-widths with some backspacing hang off.

Your axles are alot further back than the one he's considering, meaning, you drag the tail less.

ive got a 6' dove on my 22' and while its not much drop it enough to make a difference. Depending on the overhang, that could hurt you a lot on a longer trailer..

I like my open center, i can use the cross pieces as a support for some plywood or expanded mesh or.... fishhunt has .120 36"x10' alum for $100 /sheet (older pricing) i've got some extra I plan to make a few sections to hold gear/tires/firewood/ etc.. Not only can it save a bunch of weight but be a benefit....

who are you ordering from ? If its Kraftsman, make sure you give them my name and ill split the steak dinner with ya !!!

steak dinner? what gives? pretty sure i'm going with kaufman as of right now. good point on doing the expanded metal or something at a later date. that would be easy enough to add myself if i find i really want/need something in the middle.

TNRanger, how wide is yours? this one is 82" between the fenders.

(Ivan you know I've got the 32-foot Kraftsman like Rob's - I just got your PMs)

Open center - I wish mine was full deck. Loading a stock 55 CJ backwards I had to be careful not to drop a tire in the center. And every time I drive my tractor on there, at least one tire ends up hanging over the edge into the center a little. Have never dropped one in, but have to really pay attention. I'll be closing mine in when I get time. But if you don't have anything narrow like that, then not an issue, other than watch where you step when walking around on the trailer. :) It is nice to have the open center if you have to work on something - just pull it up on the trailer and it's like it's on a mini-lift to get to the transmission or whatever.

Oh - I had a Blazer with no steering box or brakes take off rolling backwards off the trailer, and dropped a wheel in the open center. That sucked - the front axle was high-centered on one deck runner, and the pinion yoke was up against the rear crossmember. With no open deck, it would have been a lot easier to get it off the trailer. But this was a "special" situation and it still worked out in the end. :rolleyes:

Dovetail - I would say don't get it. Mine does not have a dove, and it already sits pretty low in the back - I really think the tail was welded on with a *little* downward slant by accident. I drag mine going into driveways with an angle (not very steep), but it has never caused a problem. My ramps are long enough that nothing has ever dragged, even stuff with flat tires. Stuff *does* drag on my 18-foot bumper pull trailer (which *does* have a dove) because the ramps are shorter. Also, my truck is a little taller than the adjustable neck can accomodate, so the trailer sits a little nose high, which drops the tail.

You can come over and look at mine if you want - I'll be home on Sunday, and I can show you the driveway here that it drags on. You are welcome to try loading your Vette on my trailer - you just might not be able to get it back off. :D

Later!

mine is 79" wide. I don't see how my axles could be that much further back? With the second vehicle backed on I have a good tounge weight. The plan is to extend 6" on each side. Making it 91". My 40s will probably hang over just a tad, but it will be much easier to get both rigs on and off. The Cherokee has a F/W 44 with 3" backspaced H1s and it hangs off about 2.5-3"/side.

Ivan, my 32' gooseneck was a bumper pull, I had kraftman modify it into a gooseneck. Just wanted to let you know they have them as well as kaufman.

Hey Ivan - check out the Kraftsman trailer from Pirate that they guy just bought. It has a dove on it. Is this similar to how yours will look?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6694559&postcount=19

yep, we ordered it at the end of Feb. and picked it up last week...

we went to Kaufman first, but they weren't willing to bargain, ($4000 cash couldn't take it home) and weren't willing to do custom work...

showed up at Kraftsman @1:45 Sat. afternoon (they close at 12) and we discussed what we were looking for...

brand new Kraftsman tag-a-long custom built, some of the options:
-32' deck length
-(2) 7000# axles
-adjustable coupler
-heavy-duty jack
-8' dovetail (this put the rear back to the height it would be w/out the dovetail, and w/out the lift)
-with hide-away ramps
-deck height raised 6" by extending the wrap around tongue to the rear spring hangers (our trailer has a lift kit):lol:
-rub rails/stake pockets
-drive-over fenders
-choice of paint color

out the door for $4700...

I HIGHLY recommend Kraftsman trailers over Kaufman, talk to Paul Kaufman (and tell him that Shane and Brandon sent you!):beer:

some pics:
ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a180_bigassedredjeep_random_shanes_20yj_P4100015.jpg

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a180_bigassedredjeep_random_shanes_20yj_P4100019.jpg

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a180_bigassedredjeep_random_shanes_20yj_P4100021.jpg

ai11.photobucket.com_albums_a180_bigassedredjeep_random_shanes_20yj_P4100026.jpg

if you need any more pics/dimensions let me know...

richard, good point! i hadn't even thought about what a pain narrow stuff could be. assuming we keep doing the demolition derby thing, alot of candidates for the 4 cylinder class are pretty narrow. that subaru wagon for example. not to mention how nearly impossible it is to perfectly line up a car that's beat all to hell with multiple flat tires.:lol:

bigjeep, that's odd kaufman wouldn't do custom work for you. they have said no problem to my requests. i guess my needs aren't really custom though. they also priced what i want cheaper than kraftsman. i haven't bothered haggling yet though.why did it take so long for you to get yours? i definitely don't want to wait that long for one once i make my decision, and will even pay a little extra to get one asap.

rob, richard, mike how long were your waits?

i'm going to call kraftsman again this week and see what they're willing to do on the price. you might get a steak dinner after all mike.:flipoff2:

as far as Kaufman goes, we must have been talking to a new guy or something... he wouldn't discuss doing custom work, and wouldn't go less than $4,175 on the price for one on the lot... (even after going inside twice to talk to his boss?)

as for the wait time at Kraftsman, i'm sure we could have gotten it sooner, just told him that we weren't in a rush ('cause neither of us have running rigs currently) and to just call us when it was ready... 5 weeks total (and, actually we stopped by after the rock race on 3/24 and it was ready minus the wiring)

okay, so they might be a little quicker if i told them i needed it asap.

what were the specs on the one kaufman had on the lot? they didn't mention having one in stock. could be gone by now though.

also, how wide is yours between the fenders?

the kaufman trailer was a 32 foot deck, open center. (this was the end of Febuaury)

i'll measure, but it may be this weekend before i can get it to ya, the trailer is in Greenville currently.

rob, richard, mike how long were your waits?

I didn't have to wait. I went down there to discuss them building me a trailer, and they had the one I wanted (except for the open center) on the lot used, looking brand new, so I grabbed it. That was lucky. :)

Back