OK, gonna do the 8.8

I ran a lunchbox on my old axle and put in a mini-spool on the 8.8. To run a full spool you must use a c-clip eliminator. I prefer the spool over a lunchbox for its predictability, no lane changes at 55 mph when the locker decides to engage/disengage. and it is always on, no chance of it somehow not locking up on the trail. Had my lunchbox break on the trail and i was stuck with one back wheel getting all the power. Never go back to a lunchbox, either a selectable or a spool for me :flipoff2:

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the info about the c-clip eliminator. Something else to put on the list.

You can forget anything that you ever read in Petersen's.

Did you read what I said about the c-clip eliminator kits? If you can't get a full spool for an 8.8 without running eliminators, then you CAN'T run a full spool. It's that simple. You're going to be replacing bearings after every trip otherwise.

I see what you mean now. No, I cannot run a full spool w/out running the eliminators, so I guess it is back to square one.

Well, I bought the 8.8 today. I got it complete for 250 in Marion. I'll start cleaning it up this weekend and get some pics sometime. I changed my mind and am just gonna run a detroit. I guess you gotta spend the ching$.... to get the bling :huggy: .

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Well, I bought the 8.8 today. I got it complete for 250 in Marion. I'll start cleaning it up this weekend and get some pics sometime. I changed my mind and am just gonna run a detroit. I guess you gotta spend the ching$.... to get the bling :huggy: .

i know a guy selling a new in box detroit for pretty cheap if you are interested.

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
Ok, here is a follow up question for the future. I am looking at locking devices for her. If I go full spool, will I need a c-clip eliminator?? I saw on one site that for theirs you needed an eliminator but I am not sure if it is required for all spools. Now, what about a mini? What are the benefits of full vs. mini?? I know this was on the old board but I cannot access it so I have to rehash the issue.

I really don't want to spend the dough for a detroit.

What do ya'll think??

Save up your $$$ buy it once and be done with it.
Detriot all the way.

You Will be happy with the Detroit.......plus when you get ready to upgrade, you can sell it complete without losing much $$.

Just get ready to give that Detroit HELL and make it work for you! :driver:

steer clear of a lockright if you like to kick your skinny pedal :flipoff2:

Attachments

• lockright.jpg
    lockright.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 311
That lockrite looks like someone cut it with a torch!!! :uzi:

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I will go with the detroit.

Puma... sending you a pm. Thanks, Josh

I'm a newb but just picked up a complete 8.8 with disk brakes, all hard lines intact, 3.73, and LS. I wish Carolina rock shop was closer to my home in Johnson City, TN or I would be there in a heart beat to do the swap. Anyone in East TN or close by that anyone reccomends? I'm getting a RE LA kit installed in my TJ and that shop wants to charge 200 bucks to install it (weld on brackets and put it on) at the same time as the lift, but they have never done this specific swap before.

Is the 8.8 built exactly as you like it? if so, then having somebody do all the work for $200 bucks, I would jump on it. My swap took a day and a half with a regear. About 9 hours of labor just to prep and install the 8.8. And its much heavier to move and lift than your D35.

Are you planning on re-gearing to match the front, or the front to match the back, or if they're both the same then awesome. Theres another few hundred bucks if you do have to regear.

Do you plan on keeping the stock lsd? if you want a lunchbox locker, you'll have to get an open carrier for your axle. If you're going full carrier swap, (aka Detroit, ARB, Eaton e-locker) theres the cost of that.

Basically what I'm saying is have all your cards in your hand before you play. I planned $1500 when I did my regear/swap. It ended up costing about $2100, almost completely from things I just looked over when I figured my starting cost.

But good luck.

I made sure and looked everything over before I jumped. My front has 3.73 and the 8.8 has a 3.73. I'm going to run with the LSD that came in the unit and eventually put a lunchbox in my front d30. I drive a lot on the street and the lsd is much more streetable than a detroit or otherwise. I just hope this shop is competent enough to do the swap. It looks fairly simple... if i could weld i would have done it myself. I'm mainly doing the swap because i trashed the spyder gears in my craptastic D35. I will probably purchase the MORE TJ brackets

If you trashed the spiders in your D35, chances are you'll trash the carrier in the 8.8. That's the weak link. I would definatly look into a detroit asap. They are very streetable.

Puma297 said:
steer clear of a lockright if you like to kick your skinny pedal :flipoff2:

Ya sure that's the fault of the lockright, or do ya suppose it might have been the carrier?

Rob said:
If you trashed the spiders in your D35, chances are you'll trash the carrier in the 8.8.

God yes. You can crack an LS 8.8 carrier in two just by looking at it crosseyed.

i've heard the carrier isn't the weak link it's the end cap straps. They flex and then the carrier goes caboom. If you get the diff cover that reinforces them you no longer have the caboom problem. Also I think my spyder gears got trashed by the previous owner. I haven't really wheeled the rig very hard and it appeared the spyder gears were trashed for a long time before i got the vehicle

Hey no need to get testy about it. I believe you but I won't be wheeling it hard until i get a detroit or otherwise for it. I mean... it did last 100,000 miles on the exploder it came off of without blowing up. It should be ok for the street and some light trail/winter driving right? Under what conditions did your carrier blow up?

Mine is not going in until I have a detroit in it. ;) I paid too much $ and it is too much work to do another thing. I would rather wait and have it done right.

Keep in mind a detroit cuts tire life significantly. No biggy for a trail rig, but it can be cheaper to get an electrac for a daily driver.

GubNi, What's your experience with the carrier of the 8.8? Is it truely made of glass? If my rig is primarily my daily driver and occasionally sees the trails i should be ok right?

Back