No more Emissions Inspections for 20+ year old vehicles NC

CarolinaHD

Well-Known Member?
Figured this would be of enough interest to everyone to be worthy of it's own thread.

Emissions Inspections Exempts 20-Year-Old Vehicles Starting Dec. 1

RALEIGH – Beginning Dec. 1, North Carolina’s vehicle inspections requirement will exempt vehicles 20 years old from obtaining a yearly emissions test in the 22 counties which emissions testing is required.
For example, a 1999 model year vehicle would be exempt from obtaining an emissions inspection starting Dec. 1. The following year a 2000 model year vehicle would be exempt from obtaining an emissions inspection.
The change came about as a result of the passage of Senate Bill 131 (Regulatory Reform Act of 2016-2017). The bill was signed into law in 2017 and then approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. The 20-year rolling inspection is outlined in N.C.G.S. 20-183.2(b)(3).
By law, a motor vehicle must pass an annual safety inspection before it can be registered in North Carolina or the registration can be renewed. All North Carolina counties still require the safety inspection.
Emissions inspections are still be required in 22 counties and will still be required for vehicles under 20 years old, starting Dec. 1. Those counties requiring emissions inspections include Alamance, Buncombe, Cabarrus, Cumberland, Davidson, Durham, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Guilford, Iredell, Johnston, Lee, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, New Hanover, Onslow, Randolph, Rockingham, Rowan, Union and Wake counties.

One step closer to vehicles having an "expiration date" in NC. Someday, if a vehicle is over 10 years old, it can no longer be registered.

Don't think so? Look at what happened to construction equipment in CA.

We already had that in Stokes co a few years ago. Along with any hd truck didn't need emissions either. Last year it was changed to safety inspection only for all vehicles! So now no matter how bad my Jeep gets I can keep a tag on it. As soon as the ol 4.0l kicks the bucket I'm slapping some kind of ratty ass v8 in da bitch.

So, even with an engine light on they will pass? We haven't had emissions testing in my county, but the engine light can't be on.

if it’s older, no issue.

NC also passed some relief in many of the counties where emissions are no longer needed. For instance, my wife’s 2017 Yukon XL requires no emissions inspection, just safety. We are in Pitt County. So, it depends on age of vehicle and what county you are in.

So does this bump my 1999 Dodge Caravan down to the lower inspection ($11 +/-) versus the OBDII ($30 +/-) inspection?

There's enough there to keep passing inspection lol.

Duane

At this point you’re probably taxed by the pound, scrap is cheap currently

Cheap is an understatement. Trying to clean up some since I have the time and was planning to haul off some truck I've picked clean, price yesterday was a dollar per hundred on shred, two per hundred on complete cars.

Duane

Vehicles 30 years or older no longer need a safety inspection either. Used to be 35. Renewed my 89 RamCharger last month without an inspection.

Duane

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to anything saying this? The page i saw still said 35 years. Official NCDMV: Vehicle Safety Inspection

This would be very helpful, I have an 1988 grand wagoneer that I am about to put back on the road(hopefully).

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link to anything saying this? The page i saw still said 35 years. Official NCDMV: Vehicle Safety Inspection

This would be very helpful, I have an 1988 grand wagoneer that I am about to put back on the road(hopefully).

When I re-tagged my '86 F-150 earlier this year, the tag office had to call Raleigh to do a "push", as the system & website were not current.

Trying to figure out the wording as that article came out in November 2019. Are 2000 model cars now exempt? Or not until 2021?

I dont have a link, but I have my renewal notice for my 1989 Blazer and it says no inspection required.

Rather than speculate, here's what the most current NC general statutes say about safety inspections...

(a1) Safety Inspection Exceptions. – The following vehicles shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article:
(1) Historic vehicles, as described in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(90).
(2) Buses titled to a local board of education and subject to the school bus inspection requirements specified by the State Board of Education and G.S. 115C-248.

Historic vehicles are described in g.s. 20-79.4 as

Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner.

And as for emissions here are the current (pertinent) laws..

Emissions. – A motor vehicle is subject to an emissions inspection in accordance with this Part if it meets all of the following requirements:

(3) (Effective until contingency met – see note) It is (i) a 1996 or later model and older than the three most recent model years or (ii) a 1996 or later model and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer.
(3) (Contingent effective date – see note) It is (i) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year and older than the three most recent model years or (ii) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer

(6) It is not licensed at the farmer rate under G.S. 20-88(b)

I've never had an emissions inspection I guess because my only gas vehicles have farm tags? Either way these are the laws as written and I don't see anything exempting 30 y.o vehicles. The dmv website section on safety inspections also says 35yrs. I'd like it to be 30 though for a few vehicles.

:edit: Well here it is in House Bill 100 from last year it just hasn't been changed in the statutes yet.

DMV/REDUCE NUMBER OF YEARS FOR A VEHICLE TO QUALIFY FOR AN ANTIQUE REGISTRATION PLATE SECTION 4.15.(a) G.S. 20-79.4(b)(94) reads as rewritten: "(94) Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old 30 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older Page 14 House Bill 100-Ratified shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner." SECTION 4.15.(b) This section is effective when it becomes law and applies to applications for Historic Vehicle Owner registration plates made on or after that date.

Last edited:
Rather than speculate, here's what the most current NC general statutes say about safety inspections...

(a1) Safety Inspection Exceptions. – The following vehicles shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article:
(1) Historic vehicles, as described in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(90).
(2) Buses titled to a local board of education and subject to the school bus inspection requirements specified by the State Board of Education and G.S. 115C-248.

Historic vehicles are described in g.s. 20-79.4 as

Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner.

And as for emissions here are the current (pertinent) laws..

Emissions. – A motor vehicle is subject to an emissions inspection in accordance with this Part if it meets all of the following requirements:

(3) (Effective until contingency met – see note) It is (i) a 1996 or later model and older than the three most recent model years or (ii) a 1996 or later model and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer.
(3) (Contingent effective date – see note) It is (i) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year and older than the three most recent model years or (ii) a vehicle with a model year within 20 years of the current year and has 70,000 miles or more on its odometer

(6) It is not licensed at the farmer rate under G.S. 20-88(b)

I've never had an emissions inspection I guess because my only gas vehicles have farm tags? Either way these are the laws as written and I don't see anything exempting 30 y.o vehicles. The dmv website section on safety inspections also says 35yrs. I'd like it to be 30 though for a few vehicles.

:edit: Well here it is in House Bill 100 from last year it just hasn't been changed in the statutes yet.

DMV/REDUCE NUMBER OF YEARS FOR A VEHICLE TO QUALIFY FOR AN ANTIQUE REGISTRATION PLATE SECTION 4.15.(a) G.S. 20-79.4(b)(94) reads as rewritten: "(94) Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old 30 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older Page 14 House Bill 100-Ratified shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner." SECTION 4.15.(b) This section is effective when it becomes law and applies to applications for Historic Vehicle Owner registration plates made on or after that date.

It is 30 years now...unless I am an Uber-privileged member of society - which I am also fine with.

So looking at the statutes above, you have to run 'Historic' plates to be exempt from safety inspection, and follow all the restrictions that come with historic tags.

Emissions is just going to stop for everything over 20 years old.

Seems legit to me.

Back