NO DOOR LAW IN NC?

I agree 100% with PJ
I have cut the roof off an XJ and tubed it, it was a nightmare. There is virtually no difference in the body of a 4runner where the body sits on a frame or a XJ unibody. I had them sitting side by side because I had to prove that exact point to someone in the shop. I've also seen guys with unibody's wheel with their doors off, esp the back gate and the doors never seal up right again.
As far as the 3 mirrors goes. It has to have the mirrors that were on it from the factory(not the exact ones just some sort of mirror in that area). If it didn't come with it you don't have to have it.

Well I would agree unibodies flex. No doubt about that. I've been on a rock pile that when you opened a door you could not close it.

I also agree to can permanantly tweak one. I'm just talking likelihood of survival in a rollover/catastrophic event.

I think if you're going to do anythong other than trail riding in an xj you should at minimum have frame stiffeners.

I've had my stiffeners on for years and the full cage tying in the front end about a year. My xj used to creak and groan, not any more.

Also keep in mind the structural rigidity is based on the shape of the pieces. So if you dent any of your "A", "B" etc pillars there strength has been compromised.

i ran tube doors on my xj with a DS mirror all last year from march to about october and was pulled for a plate issue cop said he questioned the legality of the doors but when looked i looked into it l read that the passenger mirror is considered more luxury than neccisity so through you a dinky mirror on it and go for it

Back