NO DOOR LAW IN NC?

MidwayJeremy

Is there a no door law on cherokees in NC???

Can you get by with running no doors or will they write you a ticket?

Is there a no door law on cherokees in NC???
Can you get by with running no doors or will they write you a ticket?

As far as I know you can run no doors but you need at least two mirrors to be legal. So as long as your rearview isnt obstructed all you'll need is a drivers side mirror.

There isn't a no door law, but you are required to have at least one side mirror, which is of course mounted on the door...or at least that is my understanding.

edit: beat me to it.

The funny thing is that why did Jeep started putting them on the doors of the wranglers when they are made to be taken off. Anyways just make sure you wear a seatbelt, no doors can get skecthy real quick. Just mount a mirror to the fender and you'll be good to go, or get tube doors and mount them on those.

I picked up a UTV mirror at Walmart for $20 and a couple bolt extensions and just bolt that through the door hinge... Works like a charm...

Yeah I'll just get me a Cheapo mirror I can bolt to door hinge......

What else will they get me for??

ai490.photobucket.com_albums_rr268_midwayjeremy_jeep.jpg

Yeah I'll just get me a Cheapo mirror I can bolt to door hinge......
What else will they get me for??

It depends mainly on attitude. Yours and that of the cop. If every bodys cool probly nothing. If somebodys got a bad attitude the skys the limit.

The last time I got the TJ inspected, I did it with 1 door on. :lol:

I couldn't find the mirrors I sue when the doors are off.

do you have rear signals? may be a stupid ? but in the pic only looks like led brake light

i think the only thing they'd get you for is the faggot "if you can read this roll me over" sticker, and they should

:lol:

All jokes aside Is it really even a good idea to run no doors on a unibody Cherokee? You've got to loose some structural integrity.

All jokes aside Is it really even a good idea to run no doors on a unibody Cherokee? You've got to loose some structural integrity.
After a slow roll at the DPG I'd say it's a really bad idea in a unibody cherokee......

After watching some of the ECORS cars jiggle like jello casseroles as they went around the track... I'm not sure I'd own a carokkee that didn't have a cage stitched into the body tip to tail. :lol:

ive been pulled over before with no doors, and just my rear veiw and never got a ticket, and this is in my Toyota haha

I have been pulled over 4 or 5 time in my jeep with no doors/no mirrors and no rear view mirror broken windshield never got a ticket for any of it. But maybe one or two for some other stuff.

do you have rear signals? may be a stupid ? but in the pic only looks like led brake light

yeah It has led turn signals now too....

And I got a huntersville cop checking into it for me...

i dont know the words from the north carolina gs but you can run with no doors or windows except the windshield, mirror on the ds and seatbelts.... i look the code up if you want

also plate is in spare tire now

i dont know the words from the north carolina gs but you can run with no doors or windows except the windshield, mirror on the ds and seatbelts.... i look the code up if you want
I'm 99% sure it doesn't matter which side the mirror is on, as long as you have one side mirror + the rearview on the windshield.

My 67 Chevy C10 rolled off the factory line with only a DS mirror, my 70 Chevelle rolled off the factory line with only a PS mirror.

IIRC...only reference to windshield in NC code is you must have windshield wipers (other than glass not being damaged, obscured, etc). At least that's the way it used to be. I've run w/s down, never a problem.

This is one of the largest misconceptions out there.

The doors offer no support or structural rigidity. When you roll the upper portion of the door just pops out. What the doors offer is side impact protection.

In fact I would argue that a unibody in general would be safer in a roll that a frame one body rig. Mainly because the entire body is designed as a structural unit. Not just something to hold glass, doors and keep you dry.

Now don't get me wrong. Both vehicles would be wasted in a rollover, however you'd be safer in unibody.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't matter which side the mirror is on, as long as you have one side mirror + the rearview on the windshield.
My 67 Chevy C10 rolled off the factory line with only a DS mirror, my 70 Chevelle rolled off the factory line with only a PS mirror.
In NC, you need 2 rear-facing mirrors, they can be in any of the 3 positions...DS, PS, center of windshield.

Unibody

Matt, I would have to disagree with you a little bit. Just having the doors on and closed with a the hinges and the door latch bridging the opening adds some strength. I personally have seen xj go over a rock pile and then take 4 doors off of it to go over exact same rock pile and you could see some flex in the body. This jeep had full width axles and i am sure they were putting more leverage on the body, but the strength difference was apparent. From my own experience i have seen Toyota trucks roll with no doors on and flatten out, where the ones with doors on will result in less damage becouse the roof and pillars collapse to hit the doors and therefore the doors become part of the structural pieces of the body. The same thing goes for windshields.(structural parts) I do agree with you on the rollover in a full unibody vs frame/body vehicle. Thanks PJ

Back