NC will give you a big fine for bio-diesel use.

i had heard rumor they were checking people at/around the all star race. looks like it was true. never had anyone check my bus, but we were in a private lot.

personally, i don't have an issue with them nailing people for this. if everyone else has to pay fuel tax, so should wvo/svo people.

My problem is running 'pane. Although licensed and insured, I only drive on road a few hundred miles per year, if that.

I've been told by several sources (like 2 of the LP dealers here) to never get started with the hwy use tax -- people that don't drive much (on-road), therefore don't pay the tax on but just a small amount of fuel every year, get harrassed by the DOR auditors, that demand things like certified odometer readings/etc.

My propane guy here told me about a local guy that drives a farm truck running propane about 3k miles per year...he is harassed every couple of months with a fuel/mileage audit. DOR never believes he doesn't drive more miles, although he has other vehicles.

I'm working on a letter now to Sen. Bingham, and also my local reps.

Road tax for 'pane is collected at the pump. You should have NO issues whatsoever.

Sounds like they lumped the veggie oil people into the group that uses machinery grade diesel in there street vehicals which is illegal.

I don't think the lack of road tax from the 1% of america that is using veg oil as fuel is anywhere as big as how much tax is collected for gas not used on the road like a lawn mower or dirt bike. Maybe I should calculate how many gallons I use for cutting the grass and other non road devices and get the Gov. to cut me a check at the end of the year. Yea right like that will ever happen.

I think its BS! They will take money any way they can get it. Why should someone trying to save money and the environment, have to pay a road tax fee? If the government would start paying attention to all guys working on the roads, with their thumbs in their arsses, wasting taxpayer money, it prolly wouldnt cost as much or take as long to pave a road. Therefore, saving tons of money.
Rant off! For now

well that just proves that the Govt is a Business and only out for $$
he should get a tax break for the enviromental benifit from his fuel

also does that mean that if you had a 100% electric car you would be fined also...... that BS

the government is pretty much a bunch of frickin murdocks when it comes to crap like this. i am surprised that the gas companies havent killed the person who had the idea of burning bio diesel in trucks. all of the buses at ncsu run off of bio diesel. i wonder if they have to pay a highway tax. they run 24/7 in a good 7 mile radius around ncsu

I think its BS! They will take money any way they can get it. Why should someone trying to save money and the environment, have to pay a road tax fee? If the government would start paying attention to all guys working on the roads, with their thumbs in their arsses, wasting taxpayer money, it prolly wouldnt cost as much or take as long to pave a road. Therefore, saving tons of money.
Rant off! For now

Right on the money.

As an incentive to encourage people to use biodiesel they should wave the tax for personal use. I can understand if it was for commercial use.

I personally think we should vote every single politician out of office and vote in regular folk who will run the country the way it ought to be run. Remember that the US Govt is 3 separate parts who have to be a majority vote to get anything done. It's not just the president, or just the congress or just the senate. It'a all three and everyone in every office needes to be ousted.

I don't think the lack of road tax from the 1% of america that is using veg oil as fuel is anywhere as big as how much tax is collected for gas not used on the road like a lawn mower or dirt bike. Maybe I should calculate how many gallons I use for cutting the grass and other non road devices and get the Gov. to cut me a check at the end of the year. Yea right like that will ever happen.
Maybe you need to read up on it.
I know that for people that run fuel in boats and pay road tax after doing the paperwork can get the tax credit on it. it happens all the time for the guys that run charters at the coast, just need to do the paperwork.
Dont know that many people that want to track and do all the paper work then maybe get back 20-30$ at the end of the year for cutting there grass.
Give it a try.

I think its BS! They will take money any way they can get it. Why should someone trying to save money and the environment, have to pay a road tax fee?
Because the roads need to be built and need to be paid for. the gas tax is what pays for them. If you drive the roads then you need to help pay your part.

What would work better is if they give you a tax credit of some kind per mile or gal off you state taxes that would help you out. That way you still pay the gas tax and the roads are funded, so they get built, but also you save for being kind to the earth.

If the government would start paying attention to all guys working on the roads, with their thumbs in their arsses, wasting taxpayer money, it prolly wouldnt cost as much or take as long to pave a road. Therefore, saving tons of money.

You need to know a little more about how it works....
Its like this. IF I pay you for a job say $1000 and give you 10 days to do it, I also say if you do it in 5 days I will pay you $1000 plus extra $200 but if you take more then 15 days I pay you $ 1000 but fine you $200 so you make $800. So that gives you 5 days to 15 days to get the same $1000 pay and if you fart around you will make less saving me money.....Do it Quick it cost me more money and you make more money.
If you look at this in terms of a road project that is planned for 3-5 years things have a time frame when they are going to happen and when you see as you say "guys working on the roads, with their thumbs in their arsses" they may be working slow and it may be saving you tax money with the fines they pay the state if the project is late, its all in the contract. Each project has several contracts set on time and cost and if you think they can just show up and stand around without working your wrong.

We just live in a state of taxation, I've lived in other states and in none of them did I have to pay a yearly tax on my vehicles or dogs. It's all just a $$ scam for the government. BIO diesel is actually sold by a few stations here in NC so the greedy bastids can suck the life out of you at the pump.

I think the 2500 bond is BS there should be an easy way to pay. The IRS does not make you have a bond to pay your income TAX. The IRS has an Honor System you tell them how much you made and They tell you how much tax you owe. There is no reason the DOR should be breathing down you neck about how much you drive. I believe that the $1000 fine for some people might even be worth it for those that are saving $4000 or more in fuel cost each year.

Gas taxes are what fund highway construction. I'd love to have free highways as much as anybody but (almost) nothing is free in life.

My question is, "Why do people that run biodesiel think they don't have to pay for the roads they use?"

there are 2 ways to look at
1.) $.30 per gallon for the people doing this is not a whole lot of money compared to all the money comming in for road tax across the state. $3.00 per gal for all the people doing this is alot of money. I talked to a guy who works for exxon mobile a few months ago ( not a gas station person, but someone higher up that works in Fairfax VA), and he said gas would be about 18-22 cents higher per gal. if it were not for peple running their cars on home made fuel. now take that 3 bucks from above and do some simple economics with supply and demand and you see where that 18-22 cents comes from. Even though gas is a unitary elastic good, it is effected by alternative fuels. Now think about what happens when gas is high, the economy does worse, this sounds like a stretch, but it is true, by allowing all the svo users to run their cars, it keeps gas prices lower, which boosts the economy, and the economy boost far outweighs the the fall in road tax. This works alot better with more numbers, and stuff, but I don't want to type for an hour to illustrate it.
2.) I can see why some think it is unfair, many people don't mind paying the tax, it's the process of keeping a record, and if you had to run on diesel for a while, and the milage didn't add up, it's alot of hassle. This process is what keeps so many people from doing it. I think they should charge a flat fee based on the model vehicle you drive. For a voltswagon rabbit, just pay 5 bucks a month, if you have a 7.3 powerstroke, pay 15 bucks a month. Sure, it's not 100% accurate, but it would at least be something and is better than alot of people running arround paying no tax.

You need to know a little more about how it works....
Its like this. IF I pay you for a job say $1000 and give you 10 days to do it, I also say if you do it in 5 days I will pay you $1000 plus extra $200 but if you take more then 15 days I pay you $ 1000 but fine you $200 so you make $800. So that gives you 5 days to 15 days to get the same $1000 pay and if you fart around you will make less saving me money.....Do it Quick it cost me more money and you make more money.
If you look at this in terms of a road project that is planned for 3-5 years things have a time frame when they are going to happen and when you see as you say "guys working on the roads, with their thumbs in their arsses" they may be working slow and it may be saving you tax money with the fines they pay the state if the project is late, its all in the contract. Each project has several contracts set on time and cost and if you think they can just show up and stand around without working your wrong.

Maybe you need look at it a different way. If the guys are still sitting on their "arsses," then the government is obviously, and quite purposely, giving them too much time to do it. That seems to be the recurring theme here. And if that's true, then there is a business that we don't know about. Wish I knew.

Maybe you need look at it a different way. If the guys are still sitting on their "arsses," then the government is obviously, and quite purposely, giving them too much time to do it. That seems to be the recurring theme here. And if that's true, then there is a business that we don't know about. Wish I knew.
Sorry, don't follow what you are saying.....
You ever worked on a Roadway jobsite?
I never said that guys are sitting on "arsses" someone else did, but I would think that you would need to spend some time on a job site to see what is going on not just driving past.
You know my wife works in at Wake Med and I have walked in there to find people just standing around talking and shooting the bull, you think I go around saying they do nothing and waste time just because that's what I have found the few times I walk in to get her before lunch? No way, They save people all the time and do a lot of good things that I never see. Most of there work we never see and Wake Med runs 24-7......
What about a roadway jobsite? What work do they do? Just stand around? Look around at all the roads and bridges plus the people that work 24-7 to keep them open for you to drive on them. They work...May not look like it when you drive by but they are working.
Let me tell you a little story:
I was on a job site and we had a guy watching us for about an hour...:popcorn: We were looking at a bridge we needed to replace and alts to the left and right and so on. We wanted to stay off the farm to the right but the left was the harder route to go, the guy walks up to us and blasted us I see you DOT people standing around doing nothing for over an hour wasting tax payer money. I'm going to turn you in and I want you the @@# off and away from my farm......What are you doing here anyway? Just looking at the location of the new bridge going thought this farm....
:rolleyes:

Back