My neused to rig. Finally

lockedup5

overcompensating underachiever
My neused tow rig. Finally

I finally bit the bullet and bought me a little better tow rig after finally finding what I wanted. I went against my better wishes and bought it from a used car dealer but it was exactly what I've been looking for for two years. Just a little more expensive than I wanted.
Specs: '05 Dodge 3500 DRW, CTD, 6-speed, 4x4, quad cab, flat bed(already hinged to dump), 85k miles
I checked it and had It checked throughly by the dealership while it was there for an air bag problem and it was almost perfect except the front brakes and a tie rod end w/ a little wear. I've heard nothing but good praise about this model truck from the dealer and salesmen. Now I would like to hear the good, Bad, and UGLY from you guys. What do I need to expect to happen and when. Here are some pics of the ole truck. Let me know what ya'll think.

One good thing about it the car lot didn't know is it still has an engine warranty till May 31 of 2010. That really sweetened the deal for me.

Attachments

• A1210437.jpg
    A1210437.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 582
  • A1210438.jpg
    A1210438.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 473
enine warranty good for original owner only

Cab clearance lights crack and leak. If it doesn't need ball joints and axle u-joints now, it will need them very soon. Like Rockcity said, it'll wander like hell, but still be "within spec".

its a sweet truck...

Thats a nice looking truck... You should put some nice easy miles on it and swing by to check out your camper I've been holding onto for you. :)

Nice looking truck, I am jealous! I am thinking no matter what truck you get, there will some sort of issue with it. IMO you did good in your choice. It'll be a dual purpose, work and play. Enjoy!

With stock sized tires, the balljoints and unit bearings really aren't all that shitty. Just another (expensive) wear item like every other truck out there that they're on.
Good looking truck otherwise. Build some removable stakebed sides for it and add a hydro cylinder to the bed, then it'll be badass.

With stock sized tires, the balljoints and unit bearings really aren't all that shitty. Just another (expensive) wear item like every other truck out there that they're on.
Good looking truck otherwise. Build some removable stakebed sides for it and add a hydro cylinder to the bed, then it'll be badass.
The Pump and cylinder will be one of the first things to be added. I was so happy to see the bed was already hinged that will save me alot of time and trouble. The underbed boxes are attached to the frame so they won't lift w/ the bed too. I also have to install a brake controller. I have a Prodigy in my other truck and like it. I'm thinking of a PS3. Any of you run one of those or have a different preference.

Thanks every body for all the good and bad comments. I'm keeping a list of things to keep a good check on based on what you more experienced diesel guys are saying since this is my first diesel truck. Keep the problem comments coming. I went ahead and put new front brake pads on this afternoon and was very surprised how easy they were to replace. It took me all of twenty minutes. Also went ahead and serviced it although the car lot said they did it already. Just don't really trust them to much.

I was really agrivated when I got the keys to the truck after the papers were signed and didn't recieve a keyless remote and they will not get me one. I told the manager that was very unethical considering he knew they didn't have one. I just assumed it came w/ it. That's kinda like taking the jack out and making me go buy one. What do you guys think?

Yager: I'm considering working a deal on the job we talked about since I now have a good truck to tow my work trailer that far. Just let me know.

Nice looking rig. Smart move doing the service yourself and not counting on their word. And make sure that a new fuel filter is part of that service. This is a good source for filters. http://www.genosgarage.com/

Technically, as long as you are only the 2nd owner, you can pay $150 to transfer the 5yr/100k engine warranty. But, if you've got a dealer that says you're good without that, then I would just ask to get that in writing. Good CYA, but it probably won't be much of an issue in 15k miles either way.

The ball joints on my 05 are starting to show wear at 29.5k miles, but don't need to be replaced just yet. Factory spec is something like 0.09" and 0.06" of movement for uppers and lowers. Carli suspension has some high zoot ($550 a pair) uppers that are "lifetime" joints. http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/components/upperballjoints.html I called them this week for an update on their matching lowers. They are finished with heat treating and are being installed into test trucks in the next week or two. 6 months of testing (desert jumping) and they should be available by the end of the year.

I've owned this truck pretty much four days and I've broke it in pretty well. I've already put 1500 miles on it. 1200 of that was in the past two days. I hooked to my trailer yesterday about 4 o'clock and drove (10 1/2Hrs.:driver: one way)to the upper part of Ohio picked up my mother inlaw's ford expedition that was broke down and hauled it back along w/ 4 other people and just got back a little while ago. The truck ran and towed like a dream. Really alot better than I thought. I have no idea why anyone would need to chip those trucks. It would hold 75 MPH on 5-7% grades towing around 9k lbs. All I can say is I love it.

My new P3 Teconsha brake controller is awesome.

My trailer on the other hand had a little trouble. After about 550 miles of bouncing at 1:30 am one of the things that holds the ramp on broke and I almost lost it. I got lucky. But all in all a great first trip.

WOW!!! That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, flatbed and all!! Be glad you found it before I did! Great find, man....

I saw your test pics. I was waiting on it to show up. Pretty sweet rig I like the silver looks good. Bet it has better AC than the Ford :lol:

the ball joints suck b/c they ar 3/4 ton ball joints. do yourself a favor and take the unit bearing out while its still nice and new. Take a flap disk to the inside of the spindle or the unit bearing and then liberally coat them with anti sieze. I have had multiple unit bearing dodges where the unit bearing gets siezed to the spindle and when i say siezed i mean make you want to commit suicide siezed.

We put an overdrive unit on a 06 last month for a customer that builds trench diggers. they typically do there own work. he asked if i would throw some balljoints on it while i had it on the lift. I said yes but if the bearings were siezed he was paying by the hour and I would do my best to save the unit bearings.

They were siezed, i called him and told him.... and after his mechanic got on the phone and explained to me how i was doing it wrong....... 2 of their mechanics came out the next morning. they brought a 20 lb sledge and I giggeled for 7 hours while they destoyed both rotors and a wheel bearing sensor.

ANTI SIEZE is your friend. the unit bearings have to come off to do ball joints and they are expensive.

Back