Moving to Raleigh

albsvx

I seem to be in the final stages of negotiation for a job in Raleigh. I'm currently employed and living in Connecticut. Does anybody have any advice or leads on apartment or home rentals in the Raleigh area? How about storage units? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

I seem to be in the final stages of negotiation for a job in Raleigh. I'm currently employed and living in Connecticut. Does anybody have any advice or leads on apartment or home rentals in the Raleigh area? How about storage units? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al

Where in Raleigh. What rd or intersection are you going to be working near? You will want to find a place as close to work as posible b/c traffic can be a killer in the mornings.

I would look for apts on Falls of the neuse or Six forks. I travel by that area daily, so I will keep my eyes open the next couple of days and let you know what I see close by.

I've got a townhouse in North Raleigh going to be up for rent or sale real soon. It's 3BR 2 1/2 bath, three levels, approx 2400 sq ft w/ a 1 car garage. 2 doors down from Stankoma on here. Pretty good neighborhood, quite, HUGE master bedroom with 2 closets. master bath has a garden tub and separate shower. Big kitchen with island. $1250 a month or $170k to buy. From where it sounds like you're going to be working it'd be about 15 minute drive give or take. PM me here and I'll get you my phone # if you're interested.

For those that know me, the wifey got a job with Skybus airlines as a flight attendant and I'm the FNG at Flow BMW in Winston, so we're moving from Raleigh to the G-boro/Winston area. (Living with the MIL right now till we get the townhouse sold or rented and then we'll start looking for a place to rent.)

Okay now, see that's the kind of advice I'm looking for ... how far do I have to drive to find someplace decent?

I'll probably be coming down in a week or two for a long weekend to check some things out, I want to know where I'm looking.

Depends on if you want to live IN the city or kinda on the outskirts. My place is on the outskirts. It's actually closer to Wake Forest. If you want to live IN the city, go south of where you will be working (inside the beltline.) (I440 is the beltline). The nicer neighborhoods there are really expensive so watch out. The further out from Raleigh you get the cheaper the cost of living. And generally speaking the better the neighborhoods.

Did I say $1250? I meant $1400! J/K the houses inside the beltline can range from $350k on up as high as you want to go. (Nicer neighborhoods).

So, which neighborhoods outside of the beltline, would you say are the "nicer" neighborhoods, while still having reasonable rental prices?

You're place sounds great, but probably a bit more than I'm hoping to spend, and a bit larger than I need.

Probably looking for like a 1000-1200 sq. ft. 2br.

Did you need a house or just a place to stay until you get situated? I have a 2BR Condo that I will probably put up for rent once I get moved into my house in a few weeks. The condo is off Western Blvd just outside the beltline, approximately 8-10 minutes from where you are going to work. It's a 2-story "townhouse" style condo, 1084 sqft. I am willing to do month-to-month for quite a bit less than you will find elsewhere. The place was renovated a couple years ago, so although it is in an older n'hood it is pretty reasonable. PM me if you are interested.

For storage units it kind of depends on where you want to keep your stuff. I had a storage unit at Extra Attic off of Tryon Rd. (south side of downtown) for almost two years before I bought my house last month. The property manager Cindy is very good (lives onsite) and the rates are reasonable. 919-836-0026 http://www.extraattic.com/tryon.htm

I'll probably be looking for a storage unit that allows for the indoor storage of vehicles.

I see that extraattic says no gasoline or gasoline engines unless they have been drained. Do they enforce this?

Thanks,
Al

do you have to have garage with apartment?
do you want 2 story or 1 story? or does it not matter?
what price range are you looking?
if you look below $600 around here you will not like the neighborhood you end up in..

if you find a place you think you like PM me I will go check it out, and let ya know if it is good neighborhood or not.

I just went threw this helping my parents find a place this past Oct when they moved down here from CT.

you can check out www.publicstorage.com on atlantic Ave. I have a storage unit there and they do have cars parked inside some of the units. ( I used to have a shop in one of there units )

you can also find some home rentals at: www.tpco.com
I used to rent a house from them about 4 years back and was with them for 5 years prior to that

Near Wake Forest Rd, and i-440

wait a minute.. that is where I work..

PM me the name if you do not want to post it in the open

I think I would drive a little bit. That's not a very desireable area to live.

why not.. I live there :) .. and so do my parents, lots of freinds etc.. you just need to know where to look.

do you have to have garage with apartment?
do you want 2 story or 1 story? or does it not matter?
what price range are you looking?
if you look below $600 around here you will not like the neighborhood you end up in..
if you find a place you think you like PM me I will go check it out, and let ya know if it is good neighborhood or not.
Wow, you guys are great.
Thanks for all the help and information.
I don't necessarily care if there is a garage with the apartment, or if the apartment is multi-story or not.

Wow, you guys are great.
Thanks for all the help and information.
I don't necessarily care if there is a garage with the apartment, or if the apartment is multi-story or not.

Trust me you will care about the location :)

why not.. I live there :) .. and so do my parents, lots of freinds etc.. you just need to know where to look.
Same here. The neiborhood where I live is really nice. Established, and quiet. I have a friend with Ral. pd that checked the crime in my neiborhood prior to me buying my house and there hasn't been anything reported for 6 years.

good website to check for homes for sale is: www.fmreality.com
I like them for agents, but as for my two favorite home searching sites:
www.prudentialcarolinas.com
and then
www.hpw.com

The HPW one is great cause you can click the google maps button and they have a nice mashup showing homes in your range in whatever map you draw on the screen.
Only problem is if google maps doesn't have the road/address the place is on, it will NOT be shown on that map.

As for apartments, for some reason prices have gone through the roof recently. Mother in law's rent has gone up almost 300$ in the last 1.5 years. (course I wish she'd move out of NC, but that's another post.):lol:

unless something AMAZING pops up, I'm sure I'll be looking to rent at first.

I rent now, and I'm sure things will be crazy enough from the move, I don't need to be a new first time home owner at the same time. :)

One thing to consider is reverse commute. If you live on the west side of Raleigh (Cary, Morrisville, Apex) or south of Raleigh (Fuquay-Varina, Garner) The commute is not that bad to get to the Old Wake Forrest I-440 area. Most of Raleigh heads west every morning to RTP (Research Triangle Park). A lot of new homes up in the Wake Forest area (north of Raleigh) makes the commute tough heading into the city. Don't want to go east because Wendel, Knightdale and Zebulon head into Raleigh as well. Lots of good places to rent in all these towns. These are some guide lines for you. It all really depends on where your going to from, not distance. I used to run service so I am very familiar with the traffic around here, it's always getting worse.
Hope that helps.

Back