Mossy v2(022)

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Well, I've been a slacker... it's been a month since we hit the trails at WindRocks (has taken me this long overcome the "build burnout") on the Moss's re-debut, and it's time for updates & THANK YOU's!
This process started indirectly over the past 21 years of owning the Moss. Various(most) components were simply "tired"... maybe they were tired of me or just worn slap out? After all, it was built with a collection cheap (free = someone else's discards) parts and maintained for 2 decades on what amounts to less $$ than the average teenager spends on fast food during a single year. So, the vision of a Moss v2(022) had been churning for a "while.

Somewhere along the way, I bought axles, transmission/TC, and assorted engine/frame/suspension bits, some new, some used, but none that were tired/WSO.

Destruction began late December, when the 360 came out of the donor and the Moss entered the shop immediately after. Everything between & below the frame rails came off/out, the collection of parts slowly found it's way in and rolled out under it's own power 5 months later. "Only" another month/100's of hours in absolute thrashing to get it "ready" for the Jeepster JAM (mid/late-June).

Specs:
- AMC 360: (reportedly "rebuilt" w/ "RV cam"), Edelbrock Performer, Sniper 4150, DuraSpark2 dizzy/HEI module/E-coil gifted by @lomodyj
- AMC-belled TH-400: 32-spline output, AA adapter to D300 w/ 32-spline input & NWF cable shifters, (clocked it WAY too far up!)
- Waggy D44: 5:13, lunchbox, alloys, SuperJoints
- Ford 9": 5:14, spool, 31-spline OE shafts, backbone trussed/skidded, and Rover control arm for traction bar
- Front suspension got outboarded with RE YJ SOA (reverse eye) 1.5" leaves and the shackles were ditched in favor of LII sliders (NOT reversed) that @snappy gifted me over a decade ago
- Kept the stock rear geometry with reinforced hangers, Alcan SOA (reverse eye) HD leaves, and the infamous "Rover control arm" for anti-wrap.
- New Tatton's Driveline 2.25" x .250 wall shafts (CV in rear) at both ends to account for the slight change in wheelbase (about 106.5"?? from 104")
- Loose, leaking and likely "spawn of the devil" Saginaw steering box was hacked apart with a vengeance *just for the input shaft* in favor of full-hydro steering, using rebuilt Saginaw P-pump, SE ram (2"x8") and an orbital (125 ML / 7.63ci NON-LOAD REACTING OPEN CENTER)
- Brakes were overhauled with new dual-diaphram booster/Vette master/softlines/etc. to Bendix "Big Brakes"(front) and a single Chevy caliper(rear)
- Replaced the "gauge panel" with some 1/8" AL (was polycarbonate) and some updated gauges
- Brand spankin' new 38" Swampers wrestled onto the existing TMI-sourced beadlocks
- The rest of the rebuild involved LOTS of cutting/grinding/reinforcement/painting of the existing crossmember/bumpers/frame/etc./blah-blah-blah

The result is a moderately low COG rig for the tire size, with actual power, that both steers and stops 1000% better. It could be argued that Walden's Ridge might be a little much for a shakedown run and I was a wee bit apprehensive given that 75% of the Jeep changed, but it worked amazingly and I'm HIGHLY pleased with the results! There's still a several things that need a little fine tuning/tweaking/repairs (sheared a tiny outer stub that worked well as a "fuse"), but will get it there! (eventually)

Massive THANK YOU's to everyone that assisted! Including @amcjeepman @Bebop @Jody Treadway @Chris_Keziah @jeepinmatt who answered 1000s of stoopid questions along the way and the Jeepster/Commando gang @R Q @uglyjeepoffroad who battled a January "blizzard" (single digits + multiple precip dumps) to drive 100s of mile/multiple states to spend a weekend thrashing to get the major components mounted, not to mention dismounting 20 y/o Swampers (hard AF) to wrestle the new meats (cold AF) onto the beadlocks!

The Dixie Run circa 2004 at Tellico
DR04_1.jpg

The majority of pics from the shakedown...
Moss_JAM2022_1.jpg

Moss_JAM2022_4.jpg

Moss_JAM2022_3.jpg

Moss_JAM2022_2.jpg

It's working well, like a whole new world with some decent sized tires and ground clearance.

looks good. Glad it worked well on the maiden voyage. How do you like the sniper so far?
So far, I'm about 75% liking...
Still not running timing control (relatively stock ignition, but believe there's an issue with current advance)...
AND the IAC did the usual "Sniper silliness" (idles GREAT until it hits 160*, then starts hunting up/down w/ 1000rpm swings)... literally duck-taped it off, set the idle via the "idle stop" screw

Even in a totally un-tuned/initial learning state, the 360 had more than enough power to break stuff... and sounded really cool WOT! 🥰
Will definitely need to exercise some caution once it IS tuned!

Awesome!

Need more pictures.
Like what brother? Have a few zillion from the past 21 years (all on 33"s) 🤭, but here's a couple of my favs...

Inarguably, one of the BEST days, of the BEST weeks I've ever had wheeling... Moab 2017 in Pritchett Canyon
Moab2017_Moss.jpg

And Windrocks... discovering that beadlocks & 5# make a HUGE difference! 🤣
MossAtWindrock1.jpg

There's still a several things that need a little fine tuning/tweaking/repairs (sheared a tiny outer stub that worked well as a "fuse"), but will get it there! (eventually)
Meeting both the June deadline and keeping the existing 5x5.5 beadlocks meant reusing the D30 outers (cromo w/ larger joints)/spindles/external lockouts) to keep that bolt pattern.
As stated, snapped an outer "accidentally" being stupid and that ended the offroad portion of the weekend. 🙄

To get it back in 4WD mode, ordered a couple outer stubs from ECGS, and began collecting the Ford/Chevy parts needed. (gives me a spare short-term and will be sold with the D30 inners cromos afterwards)

Finally found a pair of Ford hubs locally (rotors are smoked). Need to get them cleaned up, so the inner bearings can be used to size turning the OG Waggy spindles (apparently "large bearing") and order new rotors/studs...
20220725_195710.jpg

Last edited:
You need the small bearing spindles? To convert jeep/ Chevy to ford outers (D44)...

I have a set here if we find a way to get them to you

While it may come to that, my understanding is the only difference in the spindles (large vs. small bearing) is the OD where the inner bearing rides, correct?
If so, have 3-4 options for getting mine cut down a bit... otherwise will see what I can do to take you up on that set!

While it may come to that, my understanding is the only difference in the spindles (large vs. small bearing) is the OD where the inner bearing rides, correct?
If so, have 3-4 options for getting mine cut down a bit... otherwise will see what I can do to take you up on that set!

I dunno if the seal seat is different or not. But yes the inner bearing is the main difference

I dunno if the seal seat is different or not. But yes the inner bearing is the main difference
There could be that 🤣
What would you be asking for these small bearing spindles? (feel free to PM if better)
If the transport is needed, I can pick them up from @Black Bear during the week and drop them off when I’m in Claudville one weekend
Stand by! If nothing else, we should hit one of the 5-6 adult beverage places in Stuart (haven't found any near Claudville, you?) one of those weekends?

I'd love to see more pics of the front with the leaf sliders and how the steering is packaged, how much space you have for uptravel, etc.

I'd love to see more pics of the front with the leaf sliders and how the steering is packaged, how much space you have for uptravel, etc.
Good or bad, uptravel is in the 4"-4.5" range... the spring would be inverted/shock bottomed at that point. Down travel is in the 6"7" range.

Astute viewers will notice the backend of the slider is close to/touching the leaf and needs to be clearanced a bit before the Veterans Ride 🤫
AND while it *looks* like there's not enough travel left in the slider, I measured eye-to-eye FLAT length 20× and added 3/4" before they were burnt, with 2" left currently.

Steering placement is OK (vs good/great given the hi-steer arms aligned perfectly with the leafs 🙄) but it's fairly protected and works effortlessly.

Attachments

• 20221007_193751.jpg
    20221007_193751.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20221007_193814.jpg
    20221007_193814.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20221007_193905.jpg
    20221007_193905.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20221007_201230.jpg
    20221007_201230.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 101
Thank you Chip!

Tonight was replacing the D30(Scout44) Cromo that was writing checks it's arse couldn't cash! (pictured with 19spline 1/2-ton cromo livery)
20221007_193008.jpg

Back