Mosquito spraying

rcalexander105

JV Wheeler
I’m interested to hear the answer, as we are currently paying Mosquito Joe $75/month to spray. I will admit, we have not seen any mosquitoes, and the neighbor behind us has all kinds of junk in his yard and a small pond. But it looks like the sprayer would pay for itself in a season.

Downside being they tell us not to let humans or pets out for 30 minutes after they spray. But their spray guys are out there only wearing a dust mask. Wonder if there are health effects? Not sure I want to spray that!

Demand cs and Talstar i have heard mentioned before. I'm Interested as well, i have a mosquito problem and you cant help what the neighbors have laying around full of water and a a small creek across the road.

I got Bifenthrin liquid concentrate at Site One to take care of my ant infestation, salesman said it would take care of mosquitoes also.

I'd be interested in someone's experience too. For what it's worth you can get an electric one much cheaper--which would be more convenient for me anyway

I use a stihl backpack mister , the sr450 around the house , use talstar mainly ...some liquid 7 ...I don't mist the garden or flowering plants or trees for the bees sake ...I'm kinda in the woods , so I mist the forest edges ,under the pole barns , etc ...I still see a few mosquitos but not bad at all ...if I misted full tilt ...(everything ) I feel sure I could almost see zero....just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I use a stihl backpack mister , the sr450 around the house , use talstar mainly ...some liquid 7 ...I don't mist the garden or flowering plants or trees for the bees sake ...I'm kinda in the woods , so I mist the forest edges ,under the pole barns , etc ...I still see a few mosquitos but not bad at all ...if I misted full tilt ...(everything ) I feel sure I could almost see zero....just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I use talstar too, but I don’t have a blower. I’ve got a backpack sprayer with a very fine mist tip on it. Even with my cheap setup, it is amazing how well it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How effective is using a pump sprayer vs a blower mister.

I can't say for sure. I bought the backpack sprayer from harbor freight and use the yellow mist tip below. I can't remember if the tip came with it or if I bought it separate somewhere else. It will put out a very fine mist/cloud that I can mist shrubs and the yard. I can tell a huge difference the day after I spray. The sprayer is uncomfortable as heck, but it's 30 bucks and dedicated for talstarP. So 30-45 minutes every month or two is all I have to wear it. I've got .5 acre with plenty of shrubs azaleas, boxwoods nandina and rhododendron. I can mist up in the Leland cypress about 10-12 feet with this setup. I mist the yard and bushes, and stick the wand in the bushes to mist inside the foliage. (Mosquitos like the underside of leaves) I mix 4 gallons at 1 oz per in the sprayer. Avoid flowering bushes unless they are getting eaten up by June bugs, and I can do the yard and perimeter of the house with 1-2 tankfulls depending on how pissed I am at the bugs.
My wife and kids get eaten up by mosquitos 10-20 bits in as many minutes. I had a baby deer trapped in the yard for a day last week, so I hammered the yard with talstarp to kill any deer ticks that might of rode in on that deer. We spent most of Sunday outside and not one single bit on anyone.
I can't justify the extra expense of a blower setup with the results I get from this sprayer. Especially with 3-4 applications a year. If I had the disposable income and space to store it I would get a blower setup for sure.
Do some research and asses your yard to see where the bastards are likely to be breeding or hiding. Shrubs, porches or decks close to the ground. Cooler dark places during the day is their typical hangout spot. Good luck. And let us know how it goes.
a536091f24ddb767d30eb0af0d03df53.jpg

yes i was contemplating getting a dedicated sprayer like you did or, if it was even worth it. looks like i will be trying this route, hopefully with similar results.

4 gal. Backpack Sprayer

one review for this sprayer said it came with extra nozzles , hopefully has a mist one included.

I can't say for sure. I bought the backpack sprayer from harbor freight and use the yellow mist tip below. I can't remember if the tip came with it or if I bought it separate somewhere else. It will put out a very fine mist/cloud that I can mist shrubs and the yard. I can tell a huge difference the day after I spray. The sprayer is uncomfortable as heck, but it's 30 bucks and dedicated for talstarP. So 30-45 minutes every month or two is all I have to wear it. I've got .5 acre with plenty of shrubs azaleas, boxwoods nandina and rhododendron. I can mist up in the Leland cypress about 10-12 feet with this setup. I mist the yard and bushes, and stick the wand in the bushes to mist inside the foliage. (Mosquitos like the underside of leaves) I mix 4 gallons at 1 oz per in the sprayer. Avoid flowering bushes unless they are getting eaten up by June bugs, and I can do the yard and perimeter of the house with 1-2 tankfulls depending on how pissed I am at the bugs.
My wife and kids get eaten up by mosquitos 10-20 bits in as many minutes. I had a baby deer trapped in the yard for a day last week, so I hammered the yard with talstarp to kill any deer ticks that might of rode in on that deer. We spent most of Sunday outside and not one single bit on anyone.
I can't justify the extra expense of a blower setup with the results I get from this sprayer. Especially with 3-4 applications a year. If I had the disposable income and space to store it I would get a blower setup for sure.
Do some research and asses your yard to see where the bastards are likely to be breeding or hiding. Shrubs, porches or decks close to the ground. Cooler dark places during the day is their typical hangout spot. Good luck. And let us know how it goes.
a536091f24ddb767d30eb0af0d03df53.jpg
I have struggled to bite the bullet on that backpack sprayer as well for a while but I'm finally fed up with having to deal with bug spray every time we go outside. I actually am more of an Echo fan than Stihl so I did some looking around on the ol' interweb and found something similar that I can use on my handheld blower (Echo Mosquito Yard Shield For Hand Held Blowers Pt # 99944200300 - Free Ship 99944200300 | eBay). On it's way now so we'll see how it works. For the price, I'm hoping it will suffice just fine.

That's pretty cool. I toyed with the idea of rigging up something on my makita backpack blower. I bet this echo attachment will work well. It'll save a bit of time over the sprayer method too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered some of these and got them in today. They seem to have good reviews and no manual labor is involved, so we will see if they work.

I do my own..

I use a Hudson backpack sprayer but I like the Stihl ones better

I use Bifen IT.

the bees are still around my yard and have no issues. They still love my flowers :) but the mosquito's are no longer an issue.

100% worth the cost and time doing it yourself..

I do wear good respirator mask when spraying so I don't breath it in directly. I use about 5 oz per spray for 1/2 acre lot. I buy it in 3/4 gallon from amazon for about $35. usually lasts about two season.. I also spray my neighbors yards and a few friends yards where my kids play so we don't have to worry about bug spray

The Bifen, Talstar, CRosscheck are basically the same products and are very effective. Either the gas powered sprayers and a pump sprayer will work. Learn where the skeeters live but do spray the whole place. Don't spray plants that are flowering so you don't kill bees. I like to use a surfactant also.
Spray in areas with leaves on the ground, under shrubs, any areas that hold water, your GUTTERS, etc.,

If spraying, decent dust mask pants and long sleeves. If using a blower I'd upgrade to a 3m respirator or so. I don't wear long sleeves or pants usually. I just spray, strip and shower. Throw my cloths right in the washer, so I don't have to handle again.

I do my own..

I use a Hudson backpack sprayer but I like the Stihl ones better

I use Bifen IT.

the bees are still around my yard and have no issues. They still love my flowers :) but the mosquito's are no longer an issue.

100% worth the cost and time doing it yourself..

I do wear good respirator mask when spraying so I don't breath it in directly. I use about 5 oz per spray for 1/2 acre lot. I buy it in 3/4 gallon from amazon for about $35. usually lasts about two season.. I also spray my neighbors yards and a few friends yards where my kids play so we don't have to worry about bug spray

Just renewed with Mosquito Authority - I think that's the outfit you started with too. Getting tired of the cost though. Had you used any other Pyrethrin-based chemical or researched any? The ones that are oil-based or have an oil component are supposed to last longer.

On spraying technique, I'm told that spraying the underside of leaves is important as that's where mosquitoes supposedly hang out till they come for ya. Any insights on that?

Just renewed with Mosquito Authority - I think that's the outfit you started with too. Getting tired of the cost though. Had you used any other Pyrethrin-based chemical or researched any? The ones that are oil-based or have an oil component are supposed to last longer.

On spraying technique, I'm told that spraying the underside of leaves is important as that's where mosquitoes supposedly hang out till they come for ya. Any insights on that?
I looked at a bunch of options and then one day snuck a peak at the mosquito authority truck and saw the bifen IT logo on there tank. So I looked it up and like what I read so I ordered it and have used it ever since

Sprayed my yard with bifen over the last two days with a pump sprayer converted to fill with a air Chuck... noticeably less bugs. (Mainly for fleas and mosquitoes, but noticed like no flies either) much more pleasant. Yes, the flowers didn't get treated, but all the leaves and stuff on yard edges did, and we live right next to a creek. Took a few hours to get the whole yard (1.2 acres or so)

Harbor Freight sprayer worked like a champ, Finally got a chance to spray about 6 gallons of talstar around the house and into the edges of the woods. Hopefully will notice a big difference in the next few days. About how often are you guys reapplying 30 days or when you start getting bit again?

I think I did maybe 3 applications last year, hit it again when they start biting again. It's dependent on rainfall too. Eventually the rain is gonna dilute it.

Circling back on this thread. Got the Echo backpack sprayer in a few weeks ago and sprayed my 2nd application of Bifen this morning. The Bifen works great - huge difference in the skeeters! I live on the NW side of Charlotte but they're pretty bad in our neck of the woods. Normally couldn't go outside without them being all over us and the kids. The Echo sprayer works pretty good...ultimately, ya get what you pay for I reckon but at ~$40 I'd definitely buy this again over purchasing one of those larger dedicated sprayers like the Stihl I referenced in my OP. Kit came with the tank you strap on your back and the black tube you can see in the pictures where the liquid travels down the hose and to the orange nozzle at the end. Biggest knock on it would be since it's gravity fed you can't get the end of the blower much higher than around belly height or the liquid stops flowing good. Also, I've noticed it gets a bit of a vapor lock (there's a breather in the cap but I guess it isn't quite enough). Today, I unscrewed the top slightly and it definitely helped with the vapor lock, and I noticed I was able to get the end of the sprayer up a littler higher (maybe around my chest-ish). All-in-all, I'm pleased with how this has solved the problem around the house. Don't have to bathe the kids with bug spray or worry about folks being carried off whatsoever.

Attachments

• 20180729_101538.jpg
    20180729_101538.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 20180729_101545.jpg
    20180729_101545.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 20180729_101550.jpg
    20180729_101550.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 294
Back