Military Training Gone Wrong at URE. Hummer on Fire!

Saw the charred shell as I was leaving yesterday. Definitely Military, group of 5 or 6 in fatigues dealing with the mess. Forest service tried to get the carcass pulled down using the dozer that was being used to pave the trails but couldn't get to it, finally the military guys pulled it down using another Humvee. Cant say what the trail looked like when they finished I didn't get to see it this trip.

I passed them coming out of the park with the 8x8. There were two batteries, molten metal, and all kinds of junk on the far right line. We went back out saturday and it looked like someone had removed some of it. Myself and everyone else drove over the area with no flat tires to my knowledge. Anyone hear anything on the vehichle that went off the side of the service road past the main parking lot next to where dickey bell crosses the service road? lots of police out there last night.

I heard on the radio something had happened but did not hear what. I do know EMS were called out. Other than that I know nothing.

I left there last night around 930, county and troopers had a license check at the entrance road parking lot. I didn't see any sign that something had been dragged down daniel (other than the 3 wheeled machine dragging itself backwards down from over the ledges). I saw the memorial still standing, looks nicer without the beer cans on it. Could stand to have a couple signs that read, "If you're gonna stop and have a cold one and toss the trash out, at least pull your junk box to the side of the trail."

Weather was awesome and I had a really good time watching everyone trying to get over that first rock on daniel.

I'm glad it was military and not someone's personal rig. Plus...if it's training excersises, I think they can now look back and understand how important it is to be prepared, which definitely makes for a good excersise. It's hard to put out a truck fire....most people caringing one small fire extinguisher will not cut it.

Also, shows this can happen even on a well built rig straight from the manufacturer. As long as it's cleaned up I think it's a good reminder for everybody. I would hope the boys would take care of their mess.

little wide for most trails at URE ...I wonder how they were gonna get by that tree down below the hill there. :)

I'm glad it was military and not someone's personal rig. Plus...if it's training excersises, I think they can now look back and understand how important it is to be prepared, which definitely makes for a good excersise. It's hard to put out a truck fire....most people caringing one small fire extinguisher will not cut it.

Also, shows this can happen even on a well built rig straight from the manufacturer. As long as it's cleaned up I think it's a good reminder for everybody. I would hope the boys would take care of their mess.

The only thing I kinda dis-agree is that I wished it wasn't wasted tax money. Seems the vehicle and driver was massively un-prepared. When's the last time you seen something like this from a member? Seems so far out of the line and so out of place that it was like a few military dudes hopped in the Humvee drunk one night to go have a joy ride that went so wrong... But it was the middle of the day??? lol

And hate to say but Humvees are not fit in stock form for rock crawling. Besides the 36's and a few neat options, that's just a $30,000 glorified street/mild trail vehicle in my mind???

But rest of the post was spot on to me!!! And also kinda glad it wasn't a member too...

I'd much rather them learn here and burn up a hummer at URE than try to figure it out in Afghanistan and then get killed (or risk lives of fellow troops) because they didn't have the necessary training to navigate rocks in GI equipped rigs on the battlefield

A burned hummer isn't $ wasted. It's the cost of doing business to learn and hopefully save a life later down the road

Just about every major heavy drop on Bragg ends up with something burning in. It is part of training. They investigate it and try to improve on it. They will investigate this and maybe something will come out it to improve. I hate to say it is just a training lose, but that is what it is. Joe is Joe. As long as no one got hurt or killed it is just another long day of training. I look back at some of the shit I did in the Military and go wow. That was an expensive double dog dare that did not go as expected. But back then it was just me trying to do something.

I saw some pictures of a Hummer they dropped and the shoot didn't open.

Is pretty hilarious.

Back