Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

This has been such an awesome thread! My hat goes off to you and your whole team:rockon:That has to be totally awesome experience!

This has been such an awesome thread! My hat goes off to you and your whole team:rockon:That has to be totally awesome experience!

This x100!!

And congrats on making the show, and one hell of a run up against teams like Currie!

FISTPUMP RIGHT COAST!!!

So I've used every type of mouthwash out there and still have that California Avacado taste lingering around. I understand JV wasn't exactly like staying in the Ritz, but is it too much to ask for a simple Sonic restaurant for a quick show and shine? We still made as many hot laps through Hammertown as possible, and just to remove any doubt, I ran the Ruffstuff light bar on 24/7. "Of course I'm a racer, didn't you see my blue rearward facing light?"

Some shots from the week- more pics to come:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__0lsk18DEGYQ_USKD7wsxSWI_AAAAAAAADKc_s7DPo6CD2F0_s800_barnes_25204wd.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__dSFJTav_AXA_USKD_ZkLT_I_AAAAAAAADKe977f606bbcbc3670f7aaf4c9b39ec0d.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__4iAGKlI5q_o_USKD_OqdvGI_AAAAAAAADKaf9178b8f89735eeec3c749d61f02fd1.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__AbqsnIEWi_A_USKEA3XxBsI_AAAAAAAADK3baa5a59c9bb7f43b17af8119e6541ef.jpg

Great pics and a great read, definately on the bucket list

The Charlotte exotic cars & coffee is Saturday and the goal is to get the rig mall worthy by then. I re-painted most of the cage, removed most of the race equipment that would impede my ability to hot lap the theaters (GPS, race radios, rear tire carrier, etc) and have started on the repairs. Some of the "major" repairs needed before I can hit Starbucks for their mouth watering Orange Mocha Frapuchinos: tires patched (popped two of them), transfer case skid bolts replaced (lost them on Aftershock). Lower the jeep... by removing 350lbs of weight from the race, the rear is jacked sky high. The retainer bolts were too tight and have stripped:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__6jcOTBHChck_US1TmDfY3eI_AAAAAAAADME_HQybkfCaeSo_s800_koh_2520post6.jpg

So once that is tapped, I can lower it back down to street sweeper height.

Then comes the front axle- blew up the Nitro shafts and ball joints in the rocks. I raced the Rubi front axle to try and prove that a true daily driver setup could survive (IE couldn't afford new bling front Spider9 pre race). Just like Lindsey Lohan on probation, it couldn't survive.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__iuxjxyLB_Nc_US1TnjKw2JI_AAAAAAAADMU_TAm3rBm7T_Q_s800_koh_2520post7.jpg

New shafts have arrived and are now in.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__iTLloaJAsFM_US1TnnTq0LI_AAAAAAAADMY_Q_D2JjIpZZw_s800_koh_2520post8.jpg

I'm getting that bandaided up so I can do some ECORS races and local rock crawls, then hopefully later this year pop for a fab 9 in the front. It's sitting way up there right now, but hopefully by Saturday I'll have it back down to about 3" of lift.

Mall Crawler math: 3" lift + 37" tires - 20" belly height / high line fenders = "LCOG". And trust me when I say if you aren't "LCOG" at the malls, you might as well be Chris Angel (cool in his day, but now he's just the 30 something year old dude with eye liner who does magic).

Took this pic earlier today:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__tsVbm0nWrD8_US1VFWdLB4I_AAAAAAAADMd5c012f8a40035aee9a3204761eb46fe.jpg

That's funny, painful, cool, and emotional all in one photo. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't see it!

It's time to get KRUNK up in this thread.

I actually don't know what that means, but I heard some urban fellows say it at the Footlocker this weekend and felt I could be cool by association. So there I was checking out the latest capris pants (trust me brah, they're legit), and I was like, yo, I'm looking pretty fly right now. But my jeep wasn't up to hot lap status, so I had to cuff up the Sean John sleeves and go to work. Swiffered out about 5lbs of JV dust and sand, ran some fabric cleaner on the seats and BAM: I'm ready for some slow rolling down the strip:

alh6.googleusercontent.com___Rp_v1F75ME_UTzGip0P6zI_AAAAAAAADO59fd06c257e407489196c3e966457132.jpg

Next up was cleaning up what the South does to bare steel. In Cali, they don't have to worry about rust, and neither did I. First weekend back from the desert and every piece of bare steel turned orange.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__E16LGh0j49Q_UUn5SRyEcOI_AAAAAAAADPs_yhcFVeB8SAY_s800_genright3.jpg

Sanded and painted back to new:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__4bYRVmNfVCM_UUn5SAXtm4I_AAAAAAAADPc_hUo7msJEjUY_s800_genright4.jpg

Genright rear sway bar polished up:

alh6.googleusercontent.com___xKvrIFTZUI_UUn5TCEc3_I_AAAAAAAADP4_QFEwvKMDwN0_s800_genright6.jpg

After it was all cleaned up, I decided it was time to get back to doing what I do best: looking fast.
We had a car show this past weekend which called for the rig to be in full on race mode. So in 32 minutes, the jeep was transformed from daily driver to Ultra4 race ready (minus windshield and side mirrors).

Time lapsed video to be posted shortly.

Car show and race ready:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__DLEXUVw565s_UWB8UPBb8wI_AAAAAAAADRee704cbd9c944fe39ceac4a7b11bb63d.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__SLQ9_vEr38M_UWB8UB4pOsI_AAAAAAAADRc543a4cffa642b4cbe4f79dadd2728f1.jpg

The Mall Crawler blending into it's natural environment.....

alh5.googleusercontent.com__WMUEyf_2Df0_UWB8UKSg1II_AAAAAAAADRE_10pM1718vSo_s800_redlnercarsow5.jpg

A few other shots from the day:

alh5.googleusercontent.com__UZDXy3NgQk4_UWB8VcOPttI_AAAAAAAADRb1fd4f7857a72350aeac422157431f22.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__Nn6Da9sTMGs_UWB8VuJwuXI_AAAAAAAADRdf9680a54957cbd16040f6eceaabf1a2.jpg

Next round of mods shortly....

Hoping to be at The Flats this weekend.

Was this at Cars and Coffee? The 4550 looks so fast you should've raced for pinks with any of those silly looking Italians. How was the hyperjeep received with that crowd? I bet some of them had never seen anything like it. Looks great. Keep the updates coming.

Was this at Cars and Coffee? The 4550 looks so fast you should've raced for pinks with any of those silly looking Italians. How was the hyperjeep received with that crowd? I bet some of them had never seen anything like it. Looks great. Keep the updates coming.

We had a great time at Cars and Coffee! I used to take my vette out there when they first started, but didn't really enjoy the crowds. With the jeep however, it was a totally different experience. I talked to tons of people about it, lots of guys in exotics talking about how they miss their old jeep, or they are looking at getting into jeeping/offroading. My advice: don't! It was way cheaper modding and racing a sports car than a 4x4. :D

Video is up! Here is the transformation from Daily Driver to Ultra4 race car in 4 1/2 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc-OqJiBZmE

http://youtu.be/Xc-OqJiBZmE

Sucks you have to adjust the preload on the shocks every time.

Also, there is a much more efficient way to use that hi lift... :flipoff2:

I don't have to adjust it, I choose to change my preload and ride height for every event I do. It takes me 2 to 4 minutes to adjust all four corners, each duty this jeep pulls I run a different height: ECORS, desert racing, rock crawling, daily driving, rally racing all have different settings. It's actually one of my favorite things to play with on the rig.

And I've been called out on other forums as well for the hi lift hahahaha.

Cruising doorless this last weekend with my flip flopped foot hanging out to attract maximum jeep douche attention when we rolled up on some hotties. I was like "hey ladies... want to see what 7" of up-travel looks like?"

Dude, they flipped me off and kept walking. I was like Meekus, Dwayne.... what just happened???? They were like "Uber Fail brah". "You forgot your roots, you've forgotten where you came from". And they were right. All this time spent going over suspension adjustments, approach angles, and apexesn I had completely neglected one of the key components of drawing long range rubber necks: a bitch'n stereo system.

Anyone can honk or blast their siren to pass, we'll be letting people know we are passing with 700 watts of Call Me Maybe screaming through the speakers.

New audio package includes: Polk Audio marine grade 4x6"s up front, Infiniti 612M marine grade 6 1/2"s in CRAWLTUNES tower speaker pods for the rear, MTX Competition 10" sub, with Sony and DUAL amps.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__TBLaYFahDjo_UWLgjQb4_zI_AAAAAAAADSQ_5qaFoLik0kQ_s800_speaker4.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__S11ku8eQIBY_UWLgksWUdTI_AAAAAAAADSo_uT7uh6J8aTs_s800_speaker5.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__pY41YSD6T8c_UWLglsDnwII_AAAAAAAADS0_mpBLsGixl2M_s800_speaker9.jpg

CRAWL TUNES speaker pods-
alh4.googleusercontent.com__KoUKMR_lQaQ_UWLghkGv2pI_AAAAAAAADR4_iLDj28qOmIA_s800_speaker2.jpg

Fist Pump Blue and Black Chrome (like a Unicorn jockeyed by a leprechaun)-
alh6.googleusercontent.com__7AwSTYB9CiM_UWMNogXsccI_AAAAAAAADTo_dTg8jINXvyI_s800_towerspeaker4.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__p31HHBrR7H8_UWMNpmL_ZwI_AAAAAAAADT0_UzoJegRdEtQ_s800_towerspeaker5.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__uLBYOhTBHxY_UWMNpjENdpI_AAAAAAAADT4_8HgwGI8aU4M_s800_towerspeaker6.jpg

Also made some adjustments to my Genright rear swaybar. Loosened it up for a little more flex.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__SDjkDmhrMX0_UW8FtBa349I_AAAAAAAADUQ_txaXvZWu7S0_s800_genright12.jpg

Grinded off some of the airbump mount for clearance:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__zQLQpV3A0_A_UW8FtHFBjwI_AAAAAAAADUU_f2Ef2Ni74bk_s800_genright13.jpg

Ready for the new articulating testing section of speed bumps at Harris Teeter-
alh4.googleusercontent.com__0iMFol7oddw_UW8Ftfknf_I_AAAAAAAADUg_12auVVjCxzg_s800_genright15.jpg

So I was rolling with my entourage Jaiden, Brayden, Aiden, and Kayden this weekend and as we set out to replenish our frayed bottom khaki cargo short collection we saw a distraction..... A huge sign saying "Come rip into some vegetation at The Farm"! Naturally, we all thought there was a special on whole grain soy burgers. Trust me when I say nothing goes down better when pounding some Corona Lights than a whole grain kissed by the morning dew soy burger. Brayden looked at Kayden, then Aiden looked at me- It was like a silent brah moment, without saying a word, we all knew it was time to hit The Farm!

Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for this small detour and only applied a level 6 hold hair gel (a 6 is usually enough for serious mall crawling, but I'd suggest a 9 or 10 for racing or competition). This would be a costly mistake as seen in the pictures below. We rocked The Farm all day, and aside from a little too much throttle that put me into a tree, it was a good time.

alh5.googleusercontent.com__6emA8fe22s0_UYbmkmk4NWI_AAAAAAAADXw_918MtVD_I7I_s799_Farma1.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__XQ_2Z5ncoCk_UZvX_9dPwnI_AAAAAAAADZ03f2790122e6327c2becc01eb6f077e8.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__rx6GfWTBjbY_UZvX_jCjgvI_AAAAAAAADZae4371d82bef82b23300a75ab45758b0.jpg

Stupid pilot error lead to bouncing off of a rock straight into a tree. Normally I wouldn't have the windshield on, but I drove the jeep out to the rock park instead of trailering, so the windshield was up.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__ZFPfm4_EPVM_UZvYBaKrY_I_AAAAAAAADa268f84a09ee58f76b3424bfb55f7bef0.jpg

GenRight to the rescue! Once again, the guys at GenRight got the product out the door the day I called- another quality piece showed up: GenRight windshield armor.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__Q_x64ShSe_U_UZvYBlWw0HI_AAAAAAAADad34f7b2e4c19448631731675f395e108.jpg

Primed, painted, clear coated, and wet sanded:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__j__RpPdt6O4_UZvYCZpCNgI_AAAAAAAADa0b7bdcbd3b65406d6654a5ee64d2515b.jpg

Good as new!

alh5.googleusercontent.com__bXSP_fNoi18_UZvYDUQ8iII_AAAAAAAADad5434247c621eeab2d98627bb45e7ab4.jpg

Paint match came out pretty well:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__LjwHseVrJ54_UZvYDecS0QI_AAAAAAAADad2f916e5ad8ae42c351130b8ece4b118.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__Dd_bI9bxj5A_UZvYBpCGHFI_AAAAAAAADa74f993d6e5ff53029e5b406226fe0583.jpg

Ive got the same windshield gaurds on my Tj and completly armoured from front to back. Wouldnt wheel mine unless i had armour. Jeep Looks good.

It was getting exhausting pretending to be a racer, there are so many things you have to do to look legit, it was essentially consuming all of my chillaxing time. I was like... is this what Jessie Haines feels like? And with a new season approaching and bigger and badder real competition out there, clearly my 15 minutes of internet fame was fading. This called for an emergency Brah Pow Wow. I met up with the crew, we all turned our visors upside down, slightly cocked them sideways for maximum playa status, and started to think.......

Who out there could we channel for motivation to kick this build into overdrive? The malls are overloaded with lifted JKs and my Mall Crawler is starting to just blend in. No way I can maintain any level of street cred without a change. Who out there is famous for accomplishing absolutely nothing? That's the inspiration I'm looking for.... Seven Redbulls later and it hit us......... I had to twitter her-

WHAT

WOULD

KIM

KARDASHIAN

DO????

aphotos.posh24.com_p_920871_z_kim_kardashian_kim_kardashian_shopping.jpg

She would go shopping. Time to go regulate at Birkdale Mall.

First up was addressing what knocked me out of KOH EMC 2013: A Rubi 44 axle that everyone knew I shouldn't have run. East Coast Gear Supply stepped in to eliminate the front end from being an issue future forward. Rubi out, Spider 9 going in.

alh5.googleusercontent.com__cXvW2c_ezSw_UgGa37rsYEI_AAAAAAAADo422baf156a6a2581cfae41b743b6eea7.jpg

Chase at ECGS has been working overtime to get me this axle in a hurry. The communication has been unreal, it's the one thing I asked for and he has gone above and beyond to keep me updated. 4.88's and ARB going in:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__2OzM3JNm0x0_UgGj8Wnn8EI_AAAAAAAADo280b0c1ddd5a06e92d2ef7daae2089af.jpg

65.5" wms

alh6.googleusercontent.com__ZkD8vhWkIAM_UgkUNNUYPlI_AAAAAAAADpf733d169074d37d9ad38fb0df7ef8000.jpg

#Fistpumpbluespidertraxfillercap

Back