Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

Sweet "rig" and best of luck out there. Flatbillers won't know what to do with all that east bound and down action.

It is going to be brutal!

Lap 1, 52 miles
Lap 2, 63 miles
Up Spooner's / down Outer Limits 6 miles
Resolution, .8 miles

Race course:

Leave the lakebed over Short Bus

Up Backdoor/Resolution (if you want to)

Out to Melville and over to Lucerne A Race Course towards Galway

40 Miles of the worst desert you've ever seen.

Past Remote Pit 1 at Bessemer

Up and down the ridge lines and back to the lakebed

Finish Lap 1

Shortbus and up Backdoor (if you want)

Lucerne A but turn off towards Emerson Lake

Over Emerson Ridge and back to Aftershock

Up Aftershock and then back down to Hells Gate/Devils Slide

Up Sunbonnet

Up Highway 19/20

Out to Remote 2

Across Fissure

Down Jack, Up Chocolate Thunder, Up Wrecking Ball, Down Claw, Up Big Johnson, Down Balderdash

Around Barts Head and up Elvis, back over to RM 45 and the ridge route, back to the lakebed

End of Lap 2

Is that for the EMC or for the big show. That sounds brutal!

That's the crazy part. Same course for EMC and Big show. Only difference is the Big Show will run a 3rd lap (repeat lap 2) and go up Backdoor.

This year's EMC is rated harder than last year's big show/main race.

The jeep is en route to KOH!

I drove it down to Huntsville, AL..... getting some mall crawling in at Cumberland Mall in Atlanta:
alh5.googleusercontent.com__GlGKREJpB8A_UQa7UaUxpTI_AAAAAAAADB5752d5637b843de66ffa8449718cfe99.jpg

Then we met up with Jordan and Team 4580, they are hauling it the rest of the way. Passing through Texas now:
alh3.googleusercontent.com__cnPI1dIFAio_UQv7Ki5NA8I_AAAAAAAADEdb1569fef815841b952ab4d7415db9c6.jpg

Kick some ass, Jay!

and while you're out, pick me up a half gallon of milk, a half pound of pistachios, and a pint of blueberries?

That's the crazy part. Same course for EMC and Big show. Only difference is the Big Show will run a 3rd lap (repeat lap 2) and go up Backdoor.

This year's EMC is rated harder than last year's big show/main race.

Making the Big race about 185 miles? Thats a lot of grocery gettin'.

Good luck out there man. Been following this thread for a while and hope the best for ya out there.

Last edited:
You are in for a wild ride. Enjoy it. Stress comes quick when you are across the country in that race.

You are in for a wild ride. Enjoy it. Stress comes quick when you are across the country in that race.

Stress level is like at an 8 right now.

The jeep arrives at KOH tonight.... I don't arrive until Monday night. Still to do:

Install rear GenRight Anti-rock
Eliminate death wobble
Shorten rear airbumps
Get coilovers tuned

Oh yeah, then pre-run. Then fix whatever we break pre-running. Should be a walk in the park. :driver:

I got a report this morning- my "fo-spoiler" side number plates didn't survive 30 hours of highway speed. Let the carnage begin.

Who is codriving with you?

A guy out of Maryland, we have wheeled together before. He's a garage fab guy, so hopefully if we break he should have some ideas on how to get it righted and to the pit.

It's pretty cool actually, our team is:

Driver- North Carolina
Co-Driver- Maryland
Pit Crew 1- California
Pit Crew 2- Colorado
Jeep Transport- Alabama

We've also had RightSide Performance, Carolina Truggies, Rides, and Marsfab work on parts that will be used in the race. Pretty collaborative effort.

Jay after seeing the way the front tires sat on the rails of the uhaul trailer I'd do a close inspection of the front ball joints and unit bearings. With that trailer bouncing all the way to Alabama and the tires sitting only on the outside edge. You could have tweaked them pretty good. Not criticizing just looking out man. Wheel spacers will have made it even worse.

Will do! Those ball joints better be freaking perfect, they have 8 miles on them.

We will go over everything out there, thanks for heads up!

I'm in Mastercraft 129. Come on by!!

I've been scoping out the pre-running pictures since Friday and one thing is for certain....... I. Must. Look. Faster!

But hell, I've done everything I can think of to look like a racer. What's missing? There has to be that one thing to push me into the elite status of "yeah, look at that guy, he must be legit." So I hit the google and typed in "how to look epic fast" and I started to see one common theme:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__r9EAAJUTIJk_UQ54DOmdYNI_AAAAAAAADF4_SQq69f5tiiQ_s798_scm2.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__KBP0k4LZj7s_UQ54DRQuEjI_AAAAAAAADGE_eXuRP2_LNIY_s799_scm1.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__yLSLVj2lSxU_UQ54DI9nOwI_AAAAAAAADF8_ayY1HxtJ4GQ_s800_scm3.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__gt5JWThaU1Q_UQ54KPDCiBI_AAAAAAAADGQ_J0EQoj__KiQ_s800_sc4.jpg

And then I saw it...... Monster. Fistpump. Green.

So, in true mall crawler form, I went out and got myself a little piece of epic. If you see a "racer" cruising Hammertown in these, be sure to give a fistpump.

Monster. Fistpump. Green:

alh5.googleusercontent.com__oxr3nnydXzs_UQ5yZ2Wv3HI_AAAAAAAADFQ__zsrjmgeAh0_s800_monster1.jpg

A guy out of Maryland, we have wheeled together before. He's a garage fab guy, so hopefully if we break he should have some ideas on how to get it righted and to the pit.

who is it?

who is it?

His name is Mike (not sure on last name). His Jeepforum screen name is MO2500, not sure if that is the same on any other boards.

The rig has been dropped off in Hammertown! Some of my pit crew are already going over it now to get prepared for tomorrow's wrench fest. Hopefully they have the following done before I land:
  • Rear GenRight sway bar system installed
  • Front pinion angle set
  • Steering gone over
  • Rear airbumps shortened to 2"
*Have I mentioneed how lucky I am with my crew?*

Once those are done, we'll go flex it out and do some night time low to mid speed runs down some of the more traveled "roads" and look for any last problems. Then on Tuesday we'll get teched and tuned in the morning which will allow Tuesday afternoon to fix whatever didn't pass tech (hopefully nothing) and then off to pre run. Wednesday will be more of the same.

That is a perfect case scenario...... and it still will be brutal.

Question: in offroading and offroad racing, how often does one actually get a perfect case scenario?

Back