Mac's YJ build with tons and 42's.

frt 1.jpg

frt2.jpg

frt3.jpg

Sounds like a good pile of parts. Had my doubler for a while now you'll definitely enjoy it. Make sure you seal everything up good (use Right Stuff), I had trouble with mine leaking first time out.

You are going to want to upgrade it to 35 spline axles if it has 30 spline.

Thanks for the advice, Thats my only worry with going with the 60 rear......strength. I lose the extra pinion support, ring gear dia, and smaller shafts? But we will see, I'll definitely get the 35 spline shafts and locker/spool, since I'm going to need new parts anyway with the 5.86 gears...But the good thing about the 60 is that I get to run my choice of gearing, instead of settling for 5.13's.

And i'm pretty much set on uprgrading front inner/outers, and eventually going with drive flanges, but for now i'm leaving it stock, due to funding. Leaving the front stock so I can at least get out and test/tune the suspension and wheel some, while saving up again for upgrades.

Anyone have thoughts on front D60 lockers? Detroit, Truetrack, OX, E-Locker, Lockright/Aussie/Powertrax?
I know that I dont want to weld the front, or spool it, so i can keep some steering. Eventually, I plan on going with E-locker or an OX-locker so I can "un" lock the front for tighter steering, but that will be later due to funds....

anyone feel free to post info/experiences with 60 front lockers.

Thanks

I wouldn't know about front lockers, everything I run gets welded, and I pay for it when it takes me a field to turn around in :shaking::lol:

But hey I'm cheap, welding is free.

Jeep is coming along Man, do tha dang thang :driver:

btw: you better not be like the rest of these loosers and not go throu mud with her when your done like all rigs are supposed to :driver::lol::flipoff2:

gettin everything finished up i see...looks like i need to drop by and help you with the new welder...haha :flipoff2:, i'm gonna be in town this weekend so maybe we can kick it into high gear. and its good to see proctorboyZ71 on the forum finally :beer::beer:

Got the jeep sitting at ride height tonight, and bolted on my mock-up tires/wheels.....3/4" OSB, The axles are on jackstands, so NO the weight is not on the boards, but they are cut out w/ a diameter of 42", so i figured this will be a little tall for the 43's at pressure, but i can work out clearance issues until I get the rear ones.

I bastard-ized the rear leaf pack, and need to do the front. The rear consists of XJ main leaf, CUCV rear 2nd and 3rd leaf also 2nd and 3rd in my new pack, and then the bottom leaf is the XJ 2nd leaf. Very long pack, and dont have to worry about bending the XJ springs now. But I still am going to do a traction bar.

The front springs sagged a little more than I first had thought so I am going to have redo those packs, and get them right.

At ride height....

21.5" to center of hub
15" under rear unshaved 14B pumpkin
28" to bottom of flat skid/bottom of frame
7' 1" to top of the hardtop

I expect with the tires mounted and at pressure, the center of the hub height may only be 18-20", and the 42" wooden tires are about a half inch off the ground, so i'm expecting all the numbers to come down a little when I get the weight on the tires, but as for now, its where it sits.

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

i would plate up those front spring hangars, they are going to get bent all to hell if you dont

Got the jeep sitting at ride height tonight, and bolted on my mock-up tires/wheels.....3/4" OSB, The axles are on jackstands, so NO the weight is not on the boards, but they are cut out w/ a diameter of 42", so i figured this will be a little tall for the 43's at pressure, but i can work out clearance issues until I get the rear ones.
I bastard-ized the rear leaf pack, and need to do the front. The rear consists of XJ main leaf, CUCV rear 2nd and 3rd leaf also 2nd and 3rd in my new pack, and then the bottom leaf is the XJ 2nd leaf. Very long pack, and dont have to worry about bending the XJ springs now. But I still am going to do a traction bar.
The front springs sagged a little more than I first had thought so I am going to have redo those packs, and get them right.
At ride height....
21.5" to center of hub
15" under rear unshaved 14B pumpkin
28" to bottom of flat skid/bottom of frame
7' 1" to top of the hardtop
I expect with the tires mounted and at pressure, the center of the hub height may only be 18-20", and the 42" wooden tires are about a half inch off the ground, so i'm expecting all the numbers to come down a little when I get the weight on the tires, but as for now, its where it sits.
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Dude def hollar at me when you wanna plan the initial outting for your junk, I'm down for bringing the Z71 Jeep to help you "break" your rig in ;) :driver:

On the springs I added 2 chevy rear springs to my front explorer springs and it helped alot, allthough I think mine are probably more arched than what your looking for outta yours, but explorer springs are usually easy to find and super cheap from LKQ, you could steal some springs from those packs to add to your n get a lil more arch outta your fronts

Dude def hollar at me when you wanna plan the initial outting for your junk, I'm down for bringing the Z71 Jeep to help you "break" your rig in ;) :driver:
On the springs I added 2 chevy rear springs to my front explorer springs and it helped alot, allthough I think mine are probably more arched than what your looking for outta yours, but explorer springs are usually easy to find and super cheap from LKQ, you could steal some springs from those packs to add to your n get a lil more arch outta your fronts

Ill definitely let you know when its finally time to go play somewhere. I really like the way the rear springs are so i'm going to try to match the fronts to the rear, and then add one more leaf for the extra wieght up front.... Should have alot more done today..... I'm ordering all the high steer stuff i need, and the hydro assist stuff today.....

I'll let you know something Ricky.

What part of the front spring hangers are you referring to...?

the tabs that hang down that the springs are bolted to. a plate across the front to tie them together will help, but i have seen/had mine bend running them the way yours are. its an easy fix that will keep them from getting bent into the spring later on when you run into rocks and stuff

the tabs that hang down that the springs are bolted to. a plate across the front to tie them together will help, but i have seen/had mine bend running them the way yours are. its an easy fix that will keep them from getting bent into the spring later on when you run into rocks and stuff

they are plated accross the front, I meant....where EXACTLY on the spring hangers are you talking about.....I dont see anywhere that they can get bent....

The only place i think they may need to get plated is on the back side of spring hanger, but...i really doubt it, there are gussets everywhere....how about this, find a pic that i posted, take it to paint, circle the area you are talking about, and then post it back up...

If you are talking about going from the inside of the left hanger to the inside of the right hanger, that would act like a friggin anchor.... not happening, and not needed

sweet i have an astro box as well...

Your jeep is sweet man, I really like how it turned out. If you follow along, i'm going to write some stuff up about drilling and tapping the box, for hydro assist under, and all the parts for hydro assist, under $250

seriously sweet KJ though, I think it has a Next2New sticker on the bottom right of the tailgate, is that right? If so, is that the Next2New in Rocky Mount?, If so, are you from RM?

Back