Mac's YJ build with tons and 42's.

Mac5005

I Figured I would go ahead and start a build page, I will add some pictures soon, just been busy building so far.
So Far...
I'm starting out with a 90 YJ that I've had for years, and finally going to 1-tons, and 43's.
What I already had:
Swapped in a 4.8 stroker, and Fuel Injection
Ford 8.8, 4.56's and a Detroit in the back. D30 had been still up from, kept it open to keep from popping shafts all the time. Was Running 36" Iroks, liked them, just after 5 years and going from 33's to 35's to 36's, I want to go fullwidth, and 40 something tires.
What I'm putting in NOW:
D60 front CUCV, Rear 60 FF, from dodge military truck,
5.38's, and locked front and rear (soon)
NP231/D300 Doubled, (Box4Rocks from Duffy)
XJ Rear leafs, both front and rear, Keeping the Shackle Reversal I already did, just moving the front mount of the front leafs, and the shackle mount of the real leafs.
This stretch yields me a 104" to 105" wheelbase.
2wd Astro Van steering box, w/ hydro assist, GM pump/reservoir.
High Steer w/ tierod behind the axle.
Summit 2161 Fuel Cell
Full Cage, rock rails, front hoop, and connected between front hoop and rails, and rails to rear X-member.
78 Mercury Grand Marquis (sp?) Brake MC
Line Lock for front and/or rear for digs etc.
I am going to do the flat belly pan made from 3/16", and a new DOM crossmember for the 231/300.
So Far:
I have the Rear discs done, and I have the rear springs bolted in (except for the new shackle hanger), 14FF bolted in
Front springs are bolted to the axle, and bolted to the shackle hanger. Working on the new front Frame extension / X-member / spring hanger now.
I am only outboarding the front of the leafs, I am going to have the Shacle Hanger int he same location as I did with my YJ front leafs and Shackle reversal.....and YES I know that the leaf springs are not going to be parallel, and Yes I know that they are going to bind throughout their range of motion.
I had a problem before with my yj fronts being parallel, and running without a Panhard/track bar. Even though I was running leafs, the axle would still move side to side somewhat and I had crappy steering until building a new track bar.
I am running the leaf springs NON-parallel to hopefully help keep the axle located side to side.
I am going to run H1's, recentered, with Rock rings on the outside, and rebar on inside.
43x14.5x16.5 TSL-SX ( To be released in july).
So far I would like to say thanks to... 91oneton, 90XJ, Rich, Rockmafia, Orangecherokee, Yager, jrraw23, Drkelly, awspence, sha_bang_do_bang, Gravelmaker, rockcity, Mudslinginyota, OutlawzXJ, Moldman05, for their help with finding parts and/or letting me pick their brain for info.
I will be posting more info and pictures as I get to them, but for now just a picture of what my jeep looked like before I tore into it again for the fiftyelevenhundreth time.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• n72102615_30374402_2065.jpg
    n72102615_30374402_2065.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,834
  • n72102615_30405662_6169.jpg
    n72102615_30405662_6169.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4,522
thats a good lookin jeep already. cant wait to see it on tons and 43's its gonna be sweet.

I can tell im gonna like this thread. Similar to what im planning to do.......w/o the 43's

Interestign idea on the non parallel leaves in the front. Any idea how much you plan to angle them??

I seem to remember that the MONTROUS yellow flattie that i used to see around every once in a while had a crazy angle on the rear leaves, but i cant really remember, it may have also been running some crazy buggy leaves or shackle setup, its been a long time since i got a look at it.

its ashame that those pics dont do ethel's current state any justice :fuck-you: haha, you still pickin up the wheels fri? ill try to remember to grab that steel from work too so we can play with the new plasma some more:huggy:

Interestign idea on the non parallel leaves in the front. Any idea how much you plan to angle them??
I seem to remember that the MONTROUS yellow flattie that i used to see around every once in a while had a crazy angle on the rear leaves, but i cant really remember, it may have also been running some crazy buggy leaves or shackle setup, its been a long time since i got a look at it.

The rear mount (shackle mount) of the leaf spring is same width as YJ frame in front.... (31.5" maybe... I dont remember right now, will measure tomorrow)
As for the front mount, the outside width of the leaves is 35.25". When you see it in person it is really not that much at all. The inside plate for the spring hanger on the main eye in the front is even with the outside of the frame rail in the front, it sits flush w/ the outside of the frame.

Outlawzxj, I just found some pics form 2 years ago when i was doing the paint and flat fenders.....these really do no justice

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• flatty 5.jpg
    flatty 5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,493
  • new opening.jpg
    new opening.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4,177
  • fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 3,459
a few pics form this weekend.... got the front x-member tacked together completely, w/ gussets and all, going to get gas for the big mig tomorrow to burn everything in after work

heres a few of progress

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rear Discs:
Ruffstuff 3/8" brackets
76 K10 Suburban D44 calipers,
99 K2500 Suburban rotors.
Total money in rear discs $40.....I had the calipers and rotors sitting around the garage

Attachments

• front bkt 1.jpg
    front bkt 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3,381
  • homebrew rear disc.jpg
    homebrew rear disc.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,407
  • jeep missing axles.jpg
    jeep missing axles.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4,145
everything in front frame extension/crossmember is 1/4", except the 4"x4" box, and 4" x 2.5" extension pieces, those are 3/16"

here is one thing missing from the fron pictures, and that is the top place that runs from the front of the 4x4 box, on top of the frame rails, back to the grill

The third drilled hole ( the one in the extension piece) is to move the winch plate forward 3"s or so, so that I can fit the PS cooler behind the winch, keep the cable off the 4x4 box, and give me more room to mount the front hoop/stinger

Got the rear bumper off today.....what a pain, I broke 6 out of the 10 bolts holding it on, trying to get it off. Took about an hour longer than expected.

I should have the rear mostly done tomorrow, and going to ry to weld the front up tomorrow. I think i'm getting off work eraly, so maybe I can get some more pics up.

you ain't wastin any time are you? gonna try to get stuff done so i can get to town saturday and play with the plasma...maybe even help you some:flipoff2:

33.75" OD width at the rear of the front springs, 34.5" OD width at the front of the front springs

Cool, you're right, that should be all but unnoticeable. I doubt if there would really be any binding with them that close to parallel.

what is the theory on making the springs non-parallel?? stability without the track-bar?

Cool, you're right, that should be all but unnoticeable. I doubt if there would really be any binding with them that close to parallel.

exactly, I'm hoping to not have to run a track bar, but since i'm running soft springs, I think that the little bit of bind may help locate the axle side to side. But we'll see, hopefully I'll have this thing moving in the next two weeks or so, and i can go test out the suspension.

Sweet looking build and nice looking YJ, cant wait to see the finished pictures.

Can I more info on the 231/D300 combo, I.E. where to get it, what is all need etc.

dont think he has a website anymore but the guy that makes the box4rocks kit is duffy of d.d. machine, try 360-779-2500 and you should get him...all you need is a dana 300 and np231 the kit comes with everything else you'll need to double the cases

Duffy is the man, hes a tad hard to get ahold of, just keep calling if you get no answer. Its only him in the shop, and his dad helps out some days, but if hes in the shop he wont hear the phone... Ive gotten him 2 out 3 calls.

Awesome guy, great to do business with, and exceptionally nice, I woould defintely reccomend him over some of the others (ie: madrooster)

He has kits to do 231/300, 231/231, and 231/flipped 300, and i believe a few others.

New news....new news.......instead of going with the 14bolt, i'm going to go with my rear 60, and i'm picking up a disc brake setup for it next week from sha_bang_do_bang, reason is, I will be able to runn the gears i want to run, instead of settling for 5.13's. So now i need to get my 60 under the back, and get the brakes on it, and then order the gears for both front and rear...

well you can drop the 14 bolt off at the crib on the way to get the 60...thanks ill leave the garage open haha

Back