Lifelock, Identity Guard, etc

securityequifax.jpg

Buddy of mine was the Global Fraud, Risk Management & Anti Money Laundering Manager for Sun Trust at the same time she worked there. He did his undergrad at UT and Masters at Georgia Tech...they always took jabs at eachother for the SEC/in state rivalry. He posted something to that effect on his FB and had she gone to a real school, wouldn't have happened. Shortly there after, no longer connections on LinkedIn or FB. Dude is savage as hell.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has placed a credit freeze in light of the data breach. I've never been a victim of ID theft or credit fraud, but don't wanna start now. It seems $5 is a small price to pay to freeze/unfreeze credit (depending on which bureau). I dont have any plans to request credit or a loan anytime soon so it seems like a good idea.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has placed a credit freeze in light of the data breach. I've never been a victim of ID theft or credit fraud, but don't wanna start now. It seems $5 is a small price to pay to freeze/unfreeze credit (depending on which bureau). I dont have any plans to request credit or a loan anytime soon so it seems like a good idea.
where did you see that it cost anything? i did all three for free... it may cost me something to unlock though. just be careful one tried to sign me up for a monthly package protection when i tried to lock it

Do you have an NC address?? NC law says they can't charge for a freeze. Can charge $3 to lift, but only if done via phone or mail. Lift must be free if done electronically.

NCDOJ: Freeze Your Credit

Better explanation: Notification of Rights for North Carolina Consumers - Experian

@kaiser715
good article. thanks for sharing. it doesnt address how this "corporate death penalty" would address those who are filing grievances and/or lawsuits for reimbursement. I don't know anything about this corporate death penalty, but I would imagine things could get sticky if bankruptcy is involved as one of the aspects of dissolving a corporation. If it is filed, how is class action pursued? (this is rhetorical. I dont expect you to answer)

I thought I paid Lifelock $25 a couple years ago for my entire family, I used it after a trash bag full of my wife's financial documents were found in some slums in Greensboro. A bum was using them as a mattress and they were found when the cops cleared the building out.

After the massive federal data breech, all of us in service were offered free identity protection by the feds. So I changed over to that.

Then my company got hacked.
Then Equifax...

I plan on going back to LifeLock. They were great and you could put your kids in there for like $5 a month. Once your info is hacked, it's out there and you can't ever put that Genie back in the bottle. We don't have much debt and have no interest in getting any, so I should freeze our credit also.

Back