Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

Pulling our 40’ goose for Hot Tub Expo setup in Clemson a couple weeks ago. 10 tubs right at 1200 lbs each and she pulled with no issues while getting 11 mpg in the mountains.
IMG_8110.jpeg

New to me tow rig. 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 8.1 BBC, Allison 1000, 4x4. Still have a few things on my to do list for it to be road ready for GER. So far, it’s been serviced front to rear, added a K&N cold air intake, swapped on the aluminum OEM wheels, brake controller installed, windows tinted, tow mirrors installed. New shocks, WeatherTech mats, touch screen radio, and 6 new speakers will be here this week. Then we’ll see what she’s made of.
IMG_4378.jpeg

New to me tow rig. 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 8.1 BBC, Allison 1000, 4x4. Still have a few things on my to do list for it to be road ready for GER. So far, it’s been serviced front to rear, added a K&N cold air intake, swapped on the aluminum OEM wheels, brake controller installed, windows tinted, tow mirrors installed. New shocks, WeatherTech mats, touch screen radio, and 6 new speakers will be here this week. Then we’ll see what she’s made of.
View attachment 413501
Ideally I wanted a single cab long bed 8.1 2500 4x4 but I couldn't find one that wasn't a beat to death landscaper special
I found my CCSB and had to jump on it because it was so clean.
Did almost the same things you have except cold air.
Saving up for new head unit and speakers. All of mine are blown 🤦🏾‍♂️

Fuel. She’s made of a constant supply of fuel. :laughing:
This, I’m willing to accept. Especially when it’s just regular gas. This truck has one job. It’s not a daily driver by any means. My guess is somewhere around 8 mpg which is better than the wife’s Ram 1500 and only slightly less than the old man’s Ram 3500 Cummins. I’ll report back.

This, I’m willing to accept. Especially when it’s just regular gas. This truck has one job. It’s not a daily driver by any means. My guess is somewhere around 8 mpg which is better than the wife’s Ram 1500 and only slightly less than the old man’s Ram 3500 Cummins. I’ll report back.
What gearing? 4.10?

Same :( I LOVE my 8.1/Allison but there are about 3 pulls on the way the GER that 4.10 gears would really change things. Fancy gap is no problem. And she cruises at 75 or better with ease, but the steeper ones have me wondering if it's with a gear change

Same :( I LOVE my 8.1/Allison but there are about 3 pulls on the way the GER that 4.10 gears would really change things. Fancy gap is no problem. And she cruises at 75 or better with ease, but the steeper ones have me wondering if it's with a gear change
I’m resisting every urge to make this truck “cool”. I’m keeping it stock height. No oversize or even A/T tread tires. Everything I can do to just help her do the job I’m asking of her. Have you done the math on yours to see what kind of mpg’s you got? Or is it like an RV and you’d just rather not know?

I’m resisting every urge to make this truck “cool”. I’m keeping it stock height. No oversize or even A/T tread tires.
Mine came with douchbag wheels/tires
Capture7.JPG

But I found some Hummer wheels/tires that were 35's

IMG_20240115_140618410.jpg

That made me realize real quick I didn't want that size tire or any lift.

So I got a decent set of 285's

IMG_20240204_122400446_HDR.jpg

Like you, I got this truck to be a truck and that's all. But dang it's hard to NOT want to start the mod generator 3000 and make it KEWL :huggy:

Have you done the math on yours to see what kind of mpg’s you got?

8...a solid 8 :dumbass:BUT, that was because of trying to keep up with Derek (80mph the WHOLE WAY :laughing:) I feel good that when I convoy with @BigClay or slower speed will help me achieve at LEAST 9mpg :clap: Biggest kick in the dick is the short beds only got a 26 gallon tank so I need to be looking for fuel by 180 miles

My last 3 tow rigs maintained stock tire size and tread choice was purely for towing purposes. I'll leave the knobby tires for my DD WJ (snow driver) and Ranger.
I'm getting around 9-10 towing with my 7.3 gasser, whether it's our camper or my GN trailer. That's not much worse than either of my recent diesels and at 33% lower fuel cost.
I just mash the go pedal a little farther and still get there.

My last 3 tow rigs maintained stock tire size and tread choice was purely for towing purposes.
Well...and also for resale in 3 months too (let's be honest) :huggy:

Mine came with douchbag wheels/tires
View attachment 413513

But I found some Hummer wheels/tires that were 35's

View attachment 413514

That made me realize real quick I didn't want that size tire or any lift.

So I got a decent set of 285's

View attachment 413515

Like you, I got this truck to be a truck and that's all. But dang it's hard to NOT want to start the mod generator 3000 and make it KEWL :huggy:

8...a solid 8 :dumbass:BUT, that was because of trying to keep up with Derek (80mph the WHOLE WAY :laughing:) I feel good that when I convoy with @BigClay or slower speed will help me achieve at LEAST 9mpg :clap: Biggest kick in the dick is the short beds only got a 26 gallon tank so I need to be looking for fuel by 180 miles
Guess I better just hope for that 8 pulling my big brick down the road.

New shocks, WeatherTech mats, touch screen radio, and 6 new speakers will be here this week.
It's got 6 speakers? Or did you get some subs too? :D

Fuel. She’s made of a constant supply of fuel. :laughing:
Don't forget oil!

May as well procharge it
The 2.9 Whipple is where it's at! They're also decently responsive to tuning, decent intakes, headers, and a free flowing exhaust, like most things.

Biggest kick in the dick is the short beds only got a 26 gallon tank so I need to be looking for fuel by 180 miles
I think it would be pretty cool if S&B would make/mod their 62 gallon tank to work in the gas trucks! I realize not everyone would go for it, but mannnnn is it nice having the option to:

1- cruise a long way when towing
2- hunt for fuel prices, if you want
3- stop when you want to, not because you have to

At 8 mpg, you could run 450-480 miles!

It's got 6 speakers? Or did you get some subs too? :D
It’s got two separate speakers in the door. The tweeter mounts separately from the woofer. Then there’s the two in the rear pillars. 6 total. I bought all Rockford Fosgate and yes, I definitely studied their powered sub enclosures too. Decided against it because in order to access my tools to change a spare, I’d have to unwire and remove the sub. It’s that regular cab life for me.

Back