Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

PXL_20230817_222658758.jpg
PXL_20230818_001154402.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Very nice! We have a 2017 Grey Wolf 26DJSE that we pull with our 2021 Tahoe. Pulls fine, but gets 9 mpg doing so. I bet that Super Duty doesn't even feel your Puma
That's a Godzilla not the diesel he's use too.....

This is the official poster of "just because it's rated to tow it, doesn't mean it should". Bought this 2020 Expedition w/ max tow a couple months ago and been wanting to see what she had since @Cribb is always praising the 3.5 EB and 10-speed in his F-150. TLDR = pulls it good, stops it decent, doesn't handle it for shit!

1692884007716.png

Borrowed @Chris_Keziah 20ft 15k Kaufman trailer to haul my junk to GER last weekend. I've never had such a sketch towing experience in my life. Didn't make it to downtown W-S headed north on 52 before the trailer started swaying after hitting a slight bump going downhill. Little sway turned into HOLY SHIT, we're about to end up on our side! I yanked the trailer brake controller w/ everything she had and attempted to drive out of it and finally got it under control & by then I was drawled up so tight you couldn't have driven a needle up my ass w/ a sledge hammer. I thought maybe my load wasn't right on the trailer (not enough tongue weight) so I pulled over around University Pkwy and pulled the 4runner forward about 8-12 inches (all the room I could). Hopped back on 52 and it wasn't long before the trailer was driving us around again. Made the decision to say FUND THAT NOISE, turned around, pointed that thing back towards the house and called in the big guns.

1692884551767.png

Dually didn't feel a dang thing back there. Now, you're probably wondering why the hell I didn't just drive the dually in the first place. Well, 1...no AC and 2...two fairly sized youngans w/ two big dogs in the back seat was not the ideal situation. BUT, it was better than dying on Fancy Gap (if we even made it that far). The IRS and coil springs in the back of the Ex just ain't gonna cut it for towing. I'd likely give her another shot w/ my 16ft 10k trailer and a lightweight buggy but that's about all I'm willing to put back there.

This is the official poster of "just because it's rated to tow it, doesn't mean it should". Bought this 2020 Expedition w/ max tow a couple months ago and been wanting to see what she had since @Cribb is always praising the 3.5 EB and 10-speed in his F-150. TLDR = pulls it good, stops it decent, doesn't handle it for shit!

View attachment 402651

Borrowed @Chris_Keziah 20ft 15k Kaufman trailer to haul my junk to GER last weekend. I've never had such a sketch towing experience in my life. Didn't make it to downtown W-S headed north on 52 before the trailer started swaying after hitting a slight bump going downhill. Little sway turned into HOLY SHIT, we're about to end up on our side! I yanked the trailer brake controller w/ everything she had and attempted to drive out of it and finally got it under control & by then I was drawled up so tight you couldn't have driven a needle up my ass w/ a sledge hammer. I thought maybe my load wasn't right on the trailer (not enough tongue weight) so I pulled over around University Pkwy and pulled the 4runner forward about 8-12 inches (all the room I could). Hopped back on 52 and it wasn't long before the trailer was driving us around again. Made the decision to say FUND THAT NOISE, turned around, pointed that thing back towards the house and called in the big guns.

View attachment 402652

Dually didn't feel a dang thing back there. Now, you're probably wondering why the hell I didn't just drive the dually in the first place. Well, 1...no AC and 2...two fairly sized youngans w/ two big dogs in the back seat was not the ideal situation. BUT, it was better than dying on Fancy Gap (if we even made it that far). The IRS and coil springs in the back of the Ex just ain't gonna cut it for towing. I'd likely give her another shot w/ my 16ft 10k trailer and a lightweight buggy but that's about all I'm willing to put back there.
Take those ramps off and strap em down under the yota and I bet it would have pulled ok. Or get a tilt trailer and never worry about it again. ;)

View attachment 402651

View attachment 402652

That's crazy, i towed all kinds of shit with my 03 expedition with irs. I had a 16' trailer that i hauled cars and trucks with. Even owned a 33' travel trailer that weighed 8900 lbs. Went up and down fancy gap with it. 03 is far removed from yours though.

My buggy hauler was purpose built to haul a buggy/Jeep/truggy, etc. Stake pockets are within the rub rail and no additional tie down locations.
I'm headed to Stanley NC on Saturday to bring a load of @jeepinmatt junk up here to clutter my shop. Needed some d rings for securing stuff (junk).
Anyways, added six 5/8" d rings after work.
1000003846.jpg
1000003837.jpg

Last edited:
2005 Silverado 2wd 5.3 104k miles salvage title without airbags deployed so it has been repainted and new bumper/ hood/ fender/ alternator and bracket. Zero rust Florida one owner vehicle vehicle, everything works and it drives great soo far, no evidence of frame damage

Attachments

• 6ABACD67-413D-48A8-924C-A59B2422F6CE.jpeg
    6ABACD67-413D-48A8-924C-A59B2422F6CE.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 8FFA1331-DBC0-4EBA-97CC-92C6BAB95395.jpeg
    8FFA1331-DBC0-4EBA-97CC-92C6BAB95395.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 67
I can’t walk into that station any time of day without knowing someone in there. I usually even know someone behind the counter. Some days I just avoid it thinking, man I’d like a burger but half the people in the store are gonna want to talk for 30mins.
That’s the gas station I mentioned with the good burgers! :laughing:

LML? I was thinking L5P at first, but the hood didn't look right.

When certain parts fall off and you add some tunes, those trucks are straight up animals! 520hp/1100tq and still no smoke! Not to mention, they sound damn good. A little grumble and whistle while still being quiet in the cab with no drone :D

Most configurations of the 2020 Expedition can only tow ~6000# max, those with the optional heavy-duty towing package (which only comes with the 3.73 gears) can tow ~9000# max. Yours being the short wheelbase gains 200# for 4x4 or 300# for the 4x2 if it has the HD towing package. The owner's manual requires the use of weight distribution over 6000# (which you definitely were over that number). I hazard with two adults, two kids, two dogs, and gear in the vehicle you might have been overweight for the GCWR if it does not have the HD package. That 4Runner is 4000# by itself.

I have long thought all these light-duty IRS vehicles are a really bad idea for towing, be it any unit-body thing or even a body-on-frame like an Expedition, older mid-size Pathfinder, last-gen Sequoia, and the new GM SUVs. Having a solid axle for stability just makes sense for this application. No squirm from the rear, no accelerated tire wear from negative camber when loaded, etc.

Most configurations of the 2020 Expedition can only tow ~6000# max, those with the optional heavy-duty towing package (which only comes with the 3.73 gears) can tow ~9000# max. Yours being the short wheelbase gains 200# for 4x4 or 300# for the 4x2 if it has the HD towing package. The owner's manual requires the use of weight distribution over 6000# (which you definitely were over that number). I hazard with two adults, two kids, two dogs, and gear in the vehicle you might have been overweight for the GCWR if it does not have the HD package. That 4Runner is 4000# by itself.

I have long thought all these light-duty IRS vehicles are a really bad idea for towing, be it any unit-body thing or even a body-on-frame like an Expedition, older mid-size Pathfinder, last-gen Sequoia, and the new GM SUVs. Having a solid axle for stability just makes sense for this application. No squirm from the rear, no accelerated tire wear from negative camber when loaded, etc.
It has the heavy duty tow package which bumps it up but yea, 11/10 do not recommend doing what I did

Back