Lawn and Landscape

After doing some quick google research seems like the only real way to deal with it is to spot treat and then re-seed. Is it worth killing it off at this point and trying to grow some grass or is it too late to salvage for this season should i just live with it until the fall?
No don’t do that, the heat will do it for you

That is Poa Annua and it sucks! If your aerate guy used some horrible seed, that could be where it came from but it's everywhere these days. It germinates about the same time that fescue does so it's almost a losing battle. For people with warm season turf, they can apply pre emergents in Fall and Winter to prevent it but us with fescue can't do that if we are overseeding. There are some products that may help to control it and Poa Trivialis but once you have either of them, you will always have them.
Let's see what @guffey24 says...

All good information

To get rid of poa annua in fescue, spray new formulation of Xonerate 2sc, 3oz per acre two apps 14 days apart, will not kill the fescue

To prevent the POA and still seed in the fall, seed as you normally would, spray Prograss at 1 gallon per acre around Thanksgiving and again at Christmas, IT WORKS

Now the newest thing on the market is POA Trivialis or roughstalk bluegrass, it’s dominating fescue lawns all over NC, SC, TN, VA because it’s a perfect climate, SEED COMPANIES ARE TO BLAME FOR THIS, they ship leftover unclean seed to Walmart’s, home depots, Lowe’s and tons of hardware/ag stores all over the country, so your cheap neighbor goes and buys this and seeds his lawn, then it ends up in your high end lawn and everywhere else, moving around the southeast on aerifiers, mowers, wind, birds.

traditional herbicides won’t touch it, most newer herbicides won’t touch it, some turn it yellow then it greens back up. I am working on trials with this right now with several different products mixed together, I may have something but won’t know until next spring to see if it comes back

CFB71127-1C31-4416-8CAB-BD56E3F70557.jpeg

Photo of a high end fescue lawn in Greenville SC, the yellow spots were POA Triv, sprayed one time with the secret potion, it’s now dead and didn’t touch the fescue, only time will tell

All good information

To get rid of poa annua in fescue, spray new formulation of Xonerate 2sc, 3oz per acre two apps 14 days apart, will not kill the fescue

To prevent the POA and still seed in the fall, seed as you normally would, spray Prograss at 1 gallon per acre around Thanksgiving and again at Christmas, IT WORKS

Now the newest thing on the market is POA Trivialis or roughstalk bluegrass, it’s dominating fescue lawns all over NC, SC, TN, VA because it’s a perfect climate, SEED COMPANIES ARE TO BLAME FOR THIS, they ship leftover unclean seed to Walmart’s, home depots, Lowe’s and tons of hardware/ag stores all over the country, so your cheap neighbor goes and buys this and seeds his lawn, then it ends up in your high end lawn and everywhere else, moving around the southeast on aerifiers, mowers, wind, birds.

traditional herbicides won’t touch it, most newer herbicides won’t touch it, some turn it yellow then it greens back up. I am working on trials with this right now with several different products mixed together, I may have something but won’t know until next spring to see if it comes back
I bought some Velocity over the winter and really didnt have time for it to work or for me to spot test before covering all of my fescue lawns. I know it's outlawed now but I got some of the last of it and hope it helps.
Along with the seed suppliers I think Poa Triv was spread in birdseed because years ago I noticed around the bird feeders all the time and bird seed isn't regulated as far as I know. You can't even buy fescue sod anymore with any kind of guarantee that it's Poa free.
These two Poas are the worst weed I've encountered and are causing me grief with my best residential cliet, but he also owns my best Commercial/industrial property and to him, everything can be solved and I probably just haven't done my homework about how to cure this issue.
Any news that you can pass along for Poa control would be greatly appeciated.

After doing some quick google research seems like the only real way to deal with it is to spot treat and then re-seed. Is it worth killing it off at this point and trying to grow some grass or is it too late to salvage for this season should i just live with it until the fall?
No this does not work, it's too late in the spring for the fescue to root well enough to make it through the summer plus you still have the poa seeds ready to come back in the fall. I have spot killed Poa and installed fescue sod but there's no assurance that the sod is poa free either.

All good information
All I ever use is Blue Tag certified seed. It's only a few bucks more but is stricktly controlled. People think it's just a gimmick for sales but even a thimble full of weed seeds can cover a lot of ground!

My spring front lawn picture again for 2018. 75% of this will be dead by the end of August. Happens every year.

IMG_20180422_114946577.jpg

That looks great! I'm not a warm season turf guy but make sure to do some preventive for grubs and cinch worms.
I put out Imidacloprid every June 1st.

This zoysia is called Compadré. It was designed to be overseeded with tttf but you are not supposed to do it until 3 years after establishing it. Best of all worlds.

I know you added a lot of organic to it so apply grub control and do a soil test and follow that plus psot results here. It's not all about lime.

Good memory. I tilled in compost about 4 years ago, then did it again about 2.5 years ago after the front yard was destroyed due to building our back patio. I did have trouble with moles/voles creating tunnels in the yard over the past couple of years. I put down some GrubEx in January. Do you have any recommendations for soil testing? Do they sell a home test kit? I did it once right after the house was built. I had to drive down to the Guilford County Agriculture office or something which is a long way from my house and work.

My yard is a smorgasbord of weeds, but I would be happy as long as I could eliminate these spurs from ever coming back. They will die off when it hits about 85 or so, but the spurs still remain for a while. Our dog will go out of his way to avoid walking in the yard.

Any tips for controlling these things?

A76139B8-0E07-434D-B054-D5F0B178AF26.jpeg

Good memory. I tilled in compost about 4 years ago, then did it again about 2.5 years ago after the front yard was destroyed due to building our back patio. I did have trouble with moles/voles creating tunnels in the yard over the past couple of years. I put down some GrubEx in January. Do you have any recommendations for soil testing? Do they sell a home test kit? I did it once right after the house was built. I had to drive down to the Guilford County Agriculture office or something which is a long way from my house and work.
For free testing from th e state you have to go to any county extension office for the boxes, so if theres a different one closer go there. SiteOne offers soil testing for $20 but you hve to pick up bags at their store also. Ask at any farm and garden store and maybe they do it too.

My yard is a smorgasbord of weeds, but I would be happy as long as I could eliminate these spurs from ever coming back. They will die off when it hits about 85 or so, but the spurs still remain for a while. Our dog will go out of his way to avoid walking in the yard.

Any tips for controlling these things?

View attachment 267516
I don't know much about them but I just did a quick look and they are an annual weed that can be controlled by Pre emergents so you have missed that opportuntiy this year. Next Spring in late february apply fert with pre em and again in late April.

I don't know much about them but I just did a quick look and they are an annual weed that can be controlled by Pre emergents so you have missed that opportuntiy this year. Next Spring in late february apply fert with pre em and again in late April.

Excellent! My dog thanks you!

So I treated for grubs with Dylox in October, with the impression that I should do so again in the spring. I'm finding conflicting info about timing... Some literature says before May 15. Some says not within a week or two of fertilizer with pre-emergent... What says the pros?

It was a little late but the October application seemed to be pretty successful...

image-20171024_095520.jpg

I'll be doing my 2nd round of pre em and fert next week and then grub control the week after.
Looks like you got a good kill last fall!

I'll be doing my 2nd round of pre em and fert next week and then grub control the week after.
Looks like you got a good kill last fall!

I ordered a new spreader that will arrive Monday or Tuesday and will be right there with you...

Back