Jeep 4.0 electric fan

Van-go

Not an old man
I've been trying to figure out the best way to cool my YJ.
I am wondering what the best 16 inch electric fan is on the market that is slim. Or if this is my best option.
I can't run the Taurus fan. Too thick and won't fit.
Same problem with stock fan.

(My engine is mounted a couple inches further forward than a stock 4.0.
Previous owner swapped it from 2.5 to 4.0)

I keep seeing people with big v8's cooking fine with one 16 inch fan and no shroud... just wondering if I should go that route or not.
I tried to make a shroud to help and it got worse. Not enough air gap.

Should I get a 16 inch and mount it directly to the radiator?

My fan is a 14 inch fan...

IMG_9387.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG

I'm not surprised that "shroud" made it worse, its just preventing any air from flowing thru the radiator outside of the fan circle.
I've reread your post many times and stared at the pics for too long. Short of moving the radiator forward, or engine back so you can make an effective square to circle shroud, I guess I'd try a bigger fan.

I had similar issues on my CJ w/o shroud and cured it by simply finding/installing a factory shroud. Its amazing what good airflow does. Another key is to get air thru the radiator, not around it. It looks like there is a lot of open space below the radiator, air probably comes under the radiator into the engine bay, while the YJ grill just pushes a mass of dead air. Maybe try to extend the speed limit sign down a few inches, trying to get air up thru the radiator.

I doubt this will make much difference, but you could shim the hood up at the hinges. The theory is that it lets hot air escape, allowing cool air to be drawn in easier. Ran my ECORS XJ like that, but don't know if it helped.

I'm not surprised that "shroud" made it worse, its just preventing any air from flowing thru the radiator outside of the fan circle.
I've reread your post many times and stared at the pics for too long. Short of moving the radiator forward, or engine back so you can make an effective square to circle shroud, I guess I'd try a bigger fan.

I had similar issues on my CJ w/o shroud and cured it by simply finding/installing a factory shroud. Its amazing what good airflow does. Another key is to get air thru the radiator, not around it. It looks like there is a lot of open space below the radiator, air probably comes under the radiator into the engine bay, while the YJ grill just pushes a mass of dead air. Maybe try to extend the speed limit sign down a few inches, trying to get air up thru the radiator.

I doubt this will make much difference, but you could shim the hood up at the hinges. The theory is that it lets hot air escape, allowing cool air to be drawn in easier. Ran my ECORS XJ like that, but don't know if it helped.

I cut a couple holes in the hood a while back which helped a little.

I just don't know what brand of fan to try.
I don't want to waste money on a really expensive one for it not to work.

I wish they made an 18 inch fan. That's how tall the radiator is. That would cover the majority of the surface if I mounted directly to the radiator.

This might sound dumb, but what if I were to mount another 14 inch fan on the front of the radiator pushing air through. It would mount on the top driver side.
I would move my current fan to the bottom passenger side and ditch the shroud. It would pull air through...

Tell me if I'm being stupid. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First, try your fan without the street sign "shroud" and see if it improves enough. This costs nothing but time. If not, get a 16" Spal fan, they are highly regarded.

First, try your fan without the street sign "shroud" and see if it improves enough. This costs nothing but time. If not, get a 16" Spal fan, they are highly regarded.
This. Your street sign is doing more harm than good. I like to see 80% radiator coverage. It doesn't matter it it's one 18" fan or 4 12" fans. Spal is the only aftermarket electric fan I'll consider. If I don't run a spal fan I try to find a factory fan at the junkyard that will fit. oem stuff is usually the best.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Also puller fans behind the radiator are more effective than pusher fans.

I used to run it without the "shroud". It ran hot, but cooler than now.

This. Your street sign is doing more harm than good. I like to see 80% radiator coverage. It doesn't matter it it's one 18" fan or 4 12" fans. Spal is the only aftermarket electric fan I'll consider. If I don't run a spal fan I try to find a factory fan at the junkyard that will fit. oem stuff is usually the best.

Don't worry, I know the sign needs to go. lol
It was a mistake, but I learned.

I really want to make this work.
From looking at the forum, it looks like it's about 4.25 inches thick.
I'll measure and see.
Thanks

Measured my fan motor to radiator distance. Right at 4". My fan is spaced off the radiator 3/4 of an inch.
The Volvo fan cools my 11.5:1 engine via a stock 3.0 V6 Ranger radiator. It rarely gets over 195* unless I'm consistently flogging it on an obstacle.
The tape measure is touching the radiator.
IMG_20170622_154412225.jpg

The Volvo fan cools my 11.5:1 engine via a stock 3.0 V6 Ranger radiator. It rarely gets over 195* unless I'm consistently flogging it on an obstacle.
What shroud (watched the video, saw the older ones have better options)

And how are you controlling yours? T-stat? Switch? Both?

What shroud (watched the video, saw the older ones have better options)

And how are you controlling yours? T-stat? Switch? Both?
I made my own shroud out if simple sheet metal from Lowe's.
Mine is thermostatically controlled with the BMW fan switch in the Pirate link.
Low speed on at 175 and high speed at about 190*

Thanks Jody! Pretty sure my fan clutch is toast...just wondered. I've read tons of threads where "TJ guru Jerry Bransford" has warned people in...what seems like hundreds of threads.....not to go electric because the stock mechanical is so much better than any electrical.

Taking it all in right now

I'd tend to agree with him. Fuck an electric. Just put a stock fan on there and rock out.

Not sure if that was in response to the original post, but I can't cause of clearance issues.

I'd love to run a clutch fan.

Not sure if that was in response to the original post, but I can't cause of clearance issues.

I'd move the motor back before I'd use an electric fan.

I'd move the motor back before I'd use an electric fan.

I'd have to extend and shorten my drive shafts about 2 inches though.

If/when I do a new transfer case/transmission I will move it back.

I'd have to extend and shorten my drive shafts about 2 inches though.

I know it's easy for me to say, but @Oliver's is just a measure and call away, for such a simple solution (really)

He lengthened/shortened mine not 3 weeks ago. No brainer for me...

I know it's easy for me to say, but @Oliver's is just a measure and call away, for such a simple solution (really)

He lengthened/shortened mine not 3 weeks ago. No brainer for me...

lol I've been there too many times in the last year.

Given the option, I'd go mechanical every time. In your case it may not be feasible. But in @CasterTroy's case it is.
That was my point

Can you run a mechanical fan without a clutch? When I did the Vortec 4.3 swap on the YJ I used to have, I had to delete the fan clutch, didn't run a shroud, and never had a problem with cooling.

Back