[Jan 4, 2014] Big Creek Icebreaker 2014 (Troy, NC)

those narrow 7.5 inch tires on Nellie gave me a hell of a workout on those slick trails. The layout is perfect for my rig and the style riding I like to do. I must admit,I had some reservations on how the trails were done on a site of 120 acres. I was figuring on not being out of sight of the main drag in. Ya'll have done an outstanding job on setting this up. Hopefully.ya'll will set up some rides during the regular wheelin season so we can do both the N.F. trails and yours Scott.
Myself,TLucier,and BenMack kept smiles on our faces the whole time. Hell,I even got a wee little body damage and don't feel bad about it one bit.I ain't ashamed to admit I had to be strapped twice but for wheeling a 63 year old stocker through the slick trails and woods like she was designed to do...ain't nothin no better.

ai1052.photobucket.com_albums_s455_orv_design_fab_1492710_1015d5fee4434dee6c157e6006032071b0d4.jpg

Another Big Thanks to Scott and JC for all their hard work they put into the Big Creek property. It is a great trail system for training and riding! :driver:

Sorry for the late response my computer hard drive passed away early Sunday morning!

So glad everyone had a good, safe time! Thank you to all the workers and people that has made this a great trail system especially John Craven (JC). You are the MAN! The trail system would not even be here if it wasn't for you! I thank God for you and hope the success Saturday showed all your hard work on Big Creek! Thank you my friend! Thank you everyone!

So is this open anytime now or only available on a guided ride date or in one of the UORTC classes?
Big Creek is pretty much only available on a guided ride date or in one of the UORTC classes. I am open to club rides and event usage though. Most likely we will not have another open ride on the property. Thanks-

In the guided ride would you have diffrent groupes to go out with I agree the trail system is a little tight for an open ride at this stage but at the same time I don't wana be wating on somebody with 31all terains all day eather juat wondering what your though s where on this scott and thanks for letting us come out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

In the guided ride would you have diffrent groupes to go out with I agree the trail system is a little tight for an open ride at this stage but at the same time I don't wana be wating on somebody with 31all terains all day eather juat wondering what your though s where on this scott and thanks for letting us come out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
For instance- Our next ride at Big Creek is the 30/30 Valentine February 15th. We will have two groups of 15 vehicles traveling different trails so that we are able to keep the ride moving instead of having 30 vehicles in one group with more of a chance of slow downs. The way our trail system is laid out we have bypasses for most high challenge obstacles. That way the group can watch the guy on 40s try the challenge and then they (on 31s) can drive around it. It is possible for us to have a ride just for the Big Boys and have a minimum tire size of 35s or 37s also. I am open to lots of options at this point as long as safety and respecting the environment is A number 1.

I tell you, I am all about clubs! I believe in the club! I would like to use Big Creek for club use. Clubs, as long as they are respectful to Tread Lightly! and safety, are one of the biggest positives of this sport. Clubs bring like minded people together in fellowship. In my mind, that is what it is all about. Organized or not, I promote clubs!

I promise you don't have to wait on me lol but your right its not all about tire size 40 inch ats are not going to get you any where

For instance- Our next ride at Big Creek is the 30/30 Valentine February 15th. We will have two groups of 15 vehicles

15 vehicles is 3x the number that should ever be in a single group, IMHO. That goes for ure and Harlan and anyplace else you might ride, too.

tire size restrictions is a slippery slope to negotiate.Seems like I spend more time waiting on folks with bigger tires then they do me.

This.

I found out after the fact on the first Big Creek ride that our group was supposed to be "built rigs only"... I didn't know, because I was busy changing a diaper during the drivers meeting. Didn't see anything a stock TJ couldn't manage, anyway. Some optional obstacles, sure... But nothing on the main trail.

this might be the newbie in me talking but i think it has more to do with common knowledge than tire size or type. ive made all around there saturday on 31 at/s nexan roadians at that......... had to be pulled one time cause i let someone talk me into the challenge.... if the people know their rigs and know what they are able to do i don't think you would have the hang ups.....i know the next money i spend aint a lock or a winch its a spot in scotts class. hopefully its the best mod one can make. just my .02¢

this might be the newbie in me talking but i think it has more to do with common knowledge than tire size or type. ive made all around there saturday on 31 at/s nexan roadians at that......... had to be pulled one time cause i let someone talk me into the challenge.... if the people know their rigs and know what they are able to do i don't think you would have the hang ups.....i know the next money i spend aint a lock or a winch its a spot in scotts class. hopefully its the best mod one can make. just my .02¢

I totally agree EJ. I rode with this guy and was impressed with the obstacles he took on and aside from some clearance issues EJ tackled all of them like a champ. And for the record the one you had to get pulled on was just a tight line. It all boils down to driver patience and time in the seat (You did great). I have seen guys with sick rigs snaps axles on Daniel b/c they gave it hell and then a guy next to stock and the right tire pressure crawl right up. You are spot on with knowing your rig, and what they are capable of. Hope to wheel with you again in the future!

I totally agree EJ. I rode with this guy and was impressed with the obstacles he took on and aside from some clearance issues EJ tackled all of them like a champ. And for the record the one you had to get pulled on was just a tight line. It all boils down to driver patience and time in the seat (You did great). I have seen guys with sick rigs snaps axles on Daniel b/c they gave it hell and then a guy next to stock and the right tire pressure crawl right up. You are spot on with knowing your rig, and what they are capable of. Hope to wheel with you again in the future!

anytime you guys wanna go to ure let us know like i said its 45 mins from home.

Just a little tid bit but if little tires make for hang ups what about "some rigs" on tons that can't make tight turns. I would rather wait on someone trying a hard line with the 3 try then bypass or winch then just watch an over built rig go over an obstacle like its not there we are out here cuz we love the sport and comrade. Every time out should be a learning experience and fun to boot. Just my take.

I had a blast at the Ice Breaker Event! It was definitely a new challenge for me and required a lot of technical driving and skill. The off camber of the trails required good line of sight and where the trail was leading you. Many times my XJ would kick out at the rear axle and start sliding. Throttle helped control your line. The trail width is the most narrow I have ever navigated and is truly one way. I found myself in the trees way too often but was happy that was my only concern out there. Makes me want to make some drip rail tree sliders. I do wish there were a couple spots where a disabled jeep/truck can pull over and not block the trail. Scott and JC did a great job coordinating trail advisors and communicating any delays there may be on the trails. After talking to stumpy and experiencing the trails I would say 35 mud terrains are a great size to have out at Big Creek. I am on 33 bfg all terrains and was just short on axle clearance a couple times but all of the obstacles were much bigger on smaller tires. Lockers front and rear were the only way someone could make 33s a success in the slick ground out there. I experienced a lot of difficulty on the back half of Boulder after @JC "encouraged" me to do a more challenging path, but @Joe J. went out of his way, even busted up his jeep a little, to winch me twice after I high centered on my crossmember. I will definitely be looking forward to returning and practicing some skills on the touch obstacles!

In a nut shell....

• Big Creek is big enough to spend an entire day out on the trails
  • Be prepared to share some paint on the trees
  • 33s and at least one locker at a minimum, all terrains survive on a dry day
  • Be prepared for a delay or a hold up and pack snacks or socialize or help out
  • Well worth the entry fee

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_118AB499_121a732face934e39be4101ee09946977fb.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_27851E82_6AA27af62362dc2cb88f73805794171cb4a.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_2115DC9F_580fde1f7345f33e6f63a639754126a70d9.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_F0207719_DDE3beeed6e7b1dbe6cb163546bac035e74.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_jeep_61F4C669_BD67433c6b9bd9994298b78f1f3467e5013.jpg

Last edited:
I think the open ride is the way to go. I was in a group of only 6 rigs, and since I was the most built, I breezed through the obstacles and then had to wait while everybody else struggled/winched (especially on winch hill loop, I was the only one in my group to make it unassisted). 15 rigs is way too slow paced for me.

Trails like winch hill loop and boulder are going to be very interesting once they get a lot of travel on them.

That little loop that branches off of boulder trail should be called "the sqeeze" or "juicer." Nick and I had a heck of a time in there this Saturday once the ground started to thaw.

@oleblue no problem man glad I could help. I actually enjoy that kind of stuff just as much as riding around.

Last edited:
Back