I need a PRO welders opinion

shocks DO NOT bottom out on rail road crossings.

If the measurements are wrong they could bottom out siting in the yard.....I think thats point being made.

I'm working on Certs now and that's ridiculous, does this guy do this for a living id tell who did this after you get it all sorted out so no one else gets this terrible work it could end up killing someone next time!!!

P.s. seek legal help or beat some ass!?!?!?!?...

If the measurements are wrong they could bottom out siting in the yard.....I think thats point being made.

if that was the case then, its still his fault for welding incorrect measurements and all the more to add why hes responsible for damages. he also assured me this wouldnt be a problem because of hands on sources, which it ended up being a problem because the CA brackets where not symmetrical to each other when i swapped the axle out. lucky i had adjustable CA to correct that. then two days later this shit happens. theres alot that i left out. when this is all said and done i will post the entire story for you guys.:popcorn:

Just a CYA question. How much shock shaft do you have showing on the shock with the bracket in place at ride height. If this does go to court and the guy who welded it tries to fight you make sure the shock isn't too long. In a judges eyes it may look like your shocks being too long caused it to break off, which we all know isn't true but some one who doesn't wheel or know anything about wheeling may take it that way. Im not saying your shocks look too long. I just want to let you know that it may come up and be an issue.

to add to this... a judge cannot assume anything if he has no knowledge on the subject. with all the facts laid out and evidence to support those facts, he will make a ruling. again, if shock length issue should even pop in his head, ill have a shop mechanic defending himself to explain how a shock works, if it was too long, and if it was correctly welded in place. this issue shouldn’t even come up. im doing my best to cover all corners and i think im doing a pretty good job.

All of this judges, court, etc. etc. for a broken shock mount?

Did property get damaged? Was someone injured? If no, get someone to re-weld it properly and be done with this guy.

like i said... i left ALOT out. the shock mount was just a little part of the situation. since the shock mount failed over a small bump, the rest of his welds are now compromised and I DO NOT FEEL SAFE driving with them. i got them grinded off and re-welded by a real pro, now im asking that he pay for the job that should have been done in the first place.

like i said... i left ALOT out. the shock mount was just a little part of the situation. since the shock mount failed over a small bump, the rest of his welds are now compromised and I DO NOT FEEL SAFE driving with them. i got them grinded off and re-welded by a real pro, now im asking that he pay for the job that should have been done in the first place.

And that will never happen.
That is not how the law works.

He gets to repair to your satisfaction, if he is negligent. Otherwise you could have brought it to me, I could have charged you $10,000 then he pays me 10k and I slip you 5k...the law aint gonna let that kinda shit go on.

If you seriously want to pursue this make sure you have a minimum of 5k in damages or the lawyer bills wont be worth it....

yep, you must give him the opportunity to fix his mistake. taking it somewhere else to get it fixed and expecting him to pay for it is not going to happen, even a judge won't grant you what you want.

Now that someone else has worked on it, the original welder is now relieved of any responsibility. Basically you are SOL. Just move on and forget about this guy.

Can't blame you for taking it to someone else. I wouldn't trust him to weld it again either. But as said, I doubt you will get anything. Best bet is to present him with a bill of what it cost you to fix it. He won't pay, but remind him that you will put the pictures up along with his name on every board that you can find. He may or may not change his mind.

if the shock bottoms out it will put stress on the bracket and cause it to fail, that was the point in the shock question.

Yes that's what I meant. I've seen two stock 1500 chevrolets with broken stock lower shock mounts. They were company trucks brought to me to fix because the owner of the company had installed shocks longer than stock because he didn't know better. The welds looked good they were more than likely machine welded by the manufacturer and still failed because the shocks bottomed out. Your shocks may have been designed for the kit you used but if the lower mounts are shorter than stock it could still be an issue. I'm not at all implying that the weld was good it's obvious that the base metal wasn't preped correctly and the heat was too low. Nor am I trying to say your wrong I just wanted to let you know that it may come up and you need to make sure your shock length is correct before you try to make a case

And that will never happen.
That is not how the law works.
He gets to repair to your satisfaction, if he is negligent. Otherwise you could have brought it to me, I could have charged you $10,000 then he pays me 10k and I slip you 5k...the law aint gonna let that kinda shit go on.
If you seriously want to pursue this make sure you have a minimum of 5k in damages or the lawyer bills wont be worth it....

I completely agree. The fees for small claims court will be much more than what you will ever be able to get out of him with him actually paying you.

end to this tiff

things have come to an agreement today... please delete this thread thank you guys for opinions and advice!

well, got my original payment back. so cant complain too much. with the money i got back, minus the repair bill... its about the same. thanks for looking out rockcity and everyone else, i dont really have time to pursue a small court claim with my schedule anyway.

Looks like backyard welding job, not near enough heat.Best I can tell from pics,nothing on brackets were "backed" or ground to be welded. Lack of prep and heat.

Looks like backyard welding job, not near enough heat.Best I can tell from pics,nothing on brackets were "backed" or ground to be welded. Lack of prep and heat.

I don't know, my back yard has never turned out any welds that crappy. My bet is that he was using some wimpy 110v welder that couldn't make enough heat to penetrate an axle tube to save its life.

Back