I need a PRO welders opinion

OlllllllO

these are of a XJ rear axle where the right shock mount weld has failed (broke off) over a rail road crossing. had on 2 days and have not wheeled off road yet.

im asking that ONLY CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL WELDERS give their opinion on the quality of these welds.

-whats the quality of these welds?
-why are they good or bad?
-would you send someone off with these welds?
-add any additional comments based on your certifications...

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u303_venus_d525_broke.jpg

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u303_venus_d525_closeup1.jpg

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u303_venus_d525_closeup2.jpg

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u303_venus_d525_broke2.jpg

My certs ran out about ten years ago so I guess I cant help you.

:popcorn:

im asking that ONLY CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL WELDERS give their opinion on the quality of these welds.

ai171.photobucket.com_albums_u303_venus_d525_closeup1.jpg

POOR! PERIOD! Its usually bad when there is rust between the weld and the base material.

I'd say if the rest of the welds on the link mounts, ect. look like that, it wont be long till you are wrapped around a phone pole.

Sorry not qualified.....like a virgin, no penetration

Looks as if he is looking for legal proof of shotty welds by professionals, don't take it personally folks

Poor quality for sure, not enough penetration. I'd be getting your money back and get some that can weld properly to fix your rig. I wouldn't send anything out like that. Like stated above if the rest of the brackets are welded on by the same person expect the same problem, they should all be redone. I don't hold my certs as my current welding job doesn't require them but I do weld for a living.

thanks for all your opinions. as one stated earlier... i need legal proof of crappy and dangerous welds. this weld job was on my daily driver and the guy who did it doesnt feel as if hes responsible for the repairs. so if you choose to comment, be my guest. but if its not too much to ask, could you send a pic of your certification to validate your comment in court? this would help me in so many ways. and thank you in advance.
-jon

this is true!

Then the OP may want to dig a bit more on what he's actually asking for.

There are certs that begin and end with a job (pipefitting, etc), and AWS certs, which range from certified weldor, to weld inspector, engineer, etc.

So what kind of certification are you looking for (I have none, btw)? Most of us who do any fab or welding for a living can tell you that's no good. (Not nearly enough penetration, filler metal piled up next to the joint).

Sorry I can't be of more help, I understand why you want a piece of paper to validate the opinion for legal proceedings, just decide what you need before asking for "certified."

Since the weld is broken apart, you could probably show in court that it doesn't come anywhere close to the AWS standards, poke around AWS.org. Might be you don't need our help, just a blown up photo of where it broke and a list of standards the AWS says a good weld meets...

Not a Certified welder by any means, But I would suggest you take it to a Certified Welding Shop see if they will give a statement in writing and then you will have something to show for it. It may be tough to say that someone on the internet said it looked bad, Certification or not and it hold any merit.

Fawk grinding. Looks like you can knock them all off with a slag hammer.

Horriable!!! Very cold welds, didnt penetrate any thing at all, Im not certified just been welding for 12 years since I was 13 in a number of shops- p.s and it should have been welded all the way around the mount not just the sides

Then the OP may want to dig a bit more on what he's actually asking for.
There are certs that begin and end with a job (pipefitting, etc), and AWS certs, which range from certified weldor, to weld inspector, engineer, etc.
So what kind of certification are you looking for (I have none, btw)? Most of us who do any fab or welding for a living can tell you that's no good. (Not nearly enough penetration, filler metal piled up next to the joint).
Sorry I can't be of more help, I understand why you want a piece of paper to validate the opinion for legal proceedings, just decide what you need before asking for "certified."
Since the weld is broken apart, you could probably show in court that it doesn't come anywhere close to the AWS standards, poke around AWS.org. Might be you don't need our help, just a blown up photo of where it broke and a list of standards the AWS says a good weld meets...
What he said.

Just a CYA question. How much shock shaft do you have showing on the shock with the bracket in place at ride height. If this does go to court and the guy who welded it tries to fight you make sure the shock isn't too long. In a judges eyes it may look like your shocks being too long caused it to break off, which we all know isn't true but some one who doesn't wheel or know anything about wheeling may take it that way. Im not saying your shocks look too long. I just want to let you know that it may come up and be an issue.

thanks for all your opinions. as one stated earlier... i need legal proof of crappy and dangerous welds. this weld job was on my daily driver and the guy who did it doesnt feel as if hes responsible for the repairs. so if you choose to comment, be my guest. but if its not too much to ask, could you send a pic of your certification to validate your comment in court? this would help me in so many ways. and thank you in advance.
-jon

First no need to me a Pro to make that determination. :lol:

Second, The person feels they aren't responsible for the repair... the whopping 20 minutes (including set-up/clean-up) worth of repairs? and $5 in wire and gas??????? RED FLAG!

Third, why would you want him to repair it? he obviously couldn't do it in the first place. I'd bite the bullet, and take it to someone that can PROFESSIONALLY weld ALL THOSE brackets again. Then take it as a lesson learned. There's no sense in taking it back to that guy to redo his crappy welding.

You need the opinion of a AWS certified weld inspector not a welder.

A welder's opinion doesn't mean anything, especially in court. You need the opinion of an INSPECTOR for it to be valid

My previous employer has my certifications, so I don't have mine. But, any professional welder can tell that the penetration was poor. If the base metal failed, the weld would be intact and the base material would fail just outside the weld area. If the weld failed, your end result would be what you have now

BTW, for max strength and for a full pen weld, the bracket should have been beveled.

If memory serves me correctly, the WPQ for that weld should be a MM1b

Just a CYA question. How much shock shaft do you have showing on the shock with the bracket in place at ride height. If this does go to court and the guy who welded it tries to fight you make sure the shock isn't too long. In a judges eyes it may look like your shocks being too long caused it to break off, which we all know isn't true but some one who doesn't wheel or know anything about wheeling may take it that way. Im not saying your shocks look too long. I just want to let you know that it may come up and be an issue.

i dont see how the shock length would have anything to do with a failed weld... especially since the shock was made for the lift its on. besides, the dude who did this piss poor job of a weld is a certified mechanic, this can be explained by him if this is an issue.

if the shock bottoms out it will put stress on the bracket and cause it to fail, that was the point in the shock question.

JB weld it. It would probably be better than what you had. You don't need to be certified to know those are shotty welds. And yes you need an inspector to state your case in my opinion.

there are plenty of testing/inspection agencies that can take a look at that for a nominal fee. You are in Fayetteville, so I'd say Mactec or Terracon. There are some fabrication companies that have a certified AWS inspector. I know of a couple. However, you'll have to pay for it. For someone to inspect after the fact and sign off on it for court purposes, I'd say at least $500 for it. If thats worth your efforts, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction of who to talk to.

Back