How much to replace a Freeze Plug?

Macdaddy4738

On a cherokee? Apparently its causing problems, and ended up blowing out all the anti freeze. The dealer quoted them 1800 bucks :rolleyes:

but im sure it can be done cheaper.

Anyone know who can do it?

just depends on where it is.. if you cant get to it while the engine is in the vehicle, you have to pull it out. and the dealer pulling the engine aint going to be cheap... It may be a $10 part but labor could be hellish if its in the "right" spot

Yeah, it shouldn't be very much, but...

Take it somewhere other than the dealer if you are concerned about price.

yep what he said. Where's it leaking? most likely in the rear inside the bell housing if they quoted that much. Which isn't that bad, pulling the tranny is easier than pulling the engine.

well im not sure where its leaking at.

The real question should be, are there any super reputable shops in Raliegh that could replace the plug for less then 1800?

WOW that's a lot of labor for a $1 PART
I bought one last week from napa $.84

i have replaced a few in the back of the block its about a 7 hr job to pull a cheerokee tranny 7x60= $420 probably should put in arear main seal while your in there, plus antifreeze and tax, youre looking at about $500 or so.

if the motor has to come out thats about a 9 hr job so so your looking at about $620. my shop is in Durham if he wants to bring it. 688-2816 ask for chase. save hik well over a 1000k

freeze plug

If it is not leaking to bad, pour a tube of stop leak in the radiator and see if it will seal.

LARRY SMITH said:
If it is not leaking to bad, pour a tube of stop leak in the radiator and see if it will seal.

Good idea !

Then it can let go all at once - when he least expects it - as opposed to now when he is at home and can schedule it to the minimum inconvenience.

:shaking:

Seriously. Stop leak is a bandaid. It will (might) get ya home, but shouldn't be considered a permanant fix on your DD.
It also gums up the rest of the system.

I see you are from Hickory, my shop is in Granite Falls and im VERY sure we can put it in for less than 1k. If interested just give me a call and can get a estimate first. Minton's Automotive 828-396-7071

3DCrawler said:
I see you are from Hickory, my shop is in Granite Falls and im VERY sure we can put it in for less than 1k. If interested just give me a call and can get a estimate first. Minton's Automotive 828-396-7071

Its not my car, its one of my bosses.

However, I will keep you guys in mind when I need work done on mine, Im in granite pretty regularly

No that is Jimmy's Paint and Body, we are on old 321-A South of town. Coming from Hickory hit 321-A just up from the new MDI stoplight. On 321-A when you see the Granite Falls city limit sign just pull in that parking lot.

3DCrawler said:
No that is Jimmy's Paint and Body, we are on old 321-A South of town. Coming from Hickory hit 321-A just up from the new MDI stoplight. On 321-A when you see the Granite Falls city limit sign just pull in that parking lot.

ah, never seen that place. I guess by the gas station where the people got stabbed?

wbcarver said:
Good idea !
Then it can let go all at once - when he least expects it - as opposed to now when he is at home and can schedule it to the minimum inconvenience.
:shaking:
Seriously. Stop leak is a bandaid. It will (might) get ya home, but shouldn't be considered a permanant fix on your DD.
It also gums up the rest of the system.
This all may be true in this application, but in the case of a vortec 350 leaking from the intake manifold, stop leak is the ticket. Sorry to hijack the thread but the Chevy dealer sells the stop leak tablets for the vortec motors, it works and it doesn't gum up anything. As for this problem, take it to Chase sounds like he'll hook ya up, $60 an hour is cheap around here.

Back