Herculiner, the good, the bad and the Ugly

etjeep said:
I went to Northern this weekend and they had the "kit", 1-gal can for $89 and the quarts for $29. They don't carry any solvents . Did you use any solvent? :confused:

The herc instructions specify the solvent. I'm pretty sure it's Xylene. I picked up that at Lowes/Home Depot.

QUESTION #1: I know this stuff is supposed to be for lining pickup beds (and NOT for lining hootuses) but here's a question: if someone masked off a strip about a foot wide along the sides and back of, oh, let's say a 1990 Jimmy, and sprayed this stuff over the strip, would it be non-magnetic? As in, if you tried to put one of those "Support The Troops" magnetic ribbons on, it wouldn't stay on?

Because I can't be sure, but I THINK the guy who had mine before me did just that. :confused:

QUESTION #2: If that's what the stuff he sprayed on is, can you paint over it?

Trebissky said:
would it be non-magnetic? As in, if you tried to put one of those "Support The Troops" magnetic ribbons on, it wouldn't stay on?

Because I can't be sure, but I THINK the guy who had mine before me did just that. :confused:

No it would not in my experience cause it to be "non-magnetic" now it does stand to reason that it would be a thicker insulation to the metal and therfor may take more magnetic force and the sticker may be old/weak...

Or It could just be bondo... And bondo is certainly "non-magnetic" :flipoff2:

UV protectant (Herc)

I saw the UV protectant on their website. Before I saw it there I didn't know it existed. But order it if you have to because the Herculiner get really dull out in the sun. I think they wanted like $29 for the pint or quart that gets added to the gallon of Herc.

Back