Herculiner, the good, the bad and the Ugly

etjeep

Thinking of tearing out whats left of the carpet and using Herculiner on the floorboards and cargo area inside of my rig. I understand you just roll it on and its budget friendly.

How does it compare to LinX or Rhino lined jobs for cost, durability, DIY ease, etc.

Lets hear your opinions.

Eric

I didn't see LinX when I did mine, but I compared mine to Rhino when I did the CJ.

Prep makes a difference for durability on both.
Cost definitely goes to Herucline/Durabak
Ease goes to having someone else do it (Rhino/LinX)

Rhino seemed tougher, but I'm comparing it to the durabak/herculiner I put on fiberglass, and that seems to peel a bit.

Ease of repair herucliner/durabak

Issues -
DIY stuff, you'll need a ventilated area (might want to take the doors off too).
Xylene is bad stuff, but you'll need it to wipe off drips, thin, and clean it.
GLOVES
Don't get it on your hootus
It will not clean off skin, do it in the fall when it's cool enough to wear long clothes.
It's great for scratching itches.

J

PS. I'll be driving it to the BOD meeting tomorrow, and will let you check it out.

Most of these are just a thick urethane paint. I'm not familliar with the herculiner brand but as long as the floor has been cleaned and sanded really well you shouldn't have any problems. You won't have carpet and the matting underneath to block heat (down side). I had a CJ8 with a V8 and Rhinoed. The floor was hot but I liked the liner better than carpet. My brother painted my current truck with the Advanced Auto brand in a can. He didn't even sand the paint and I have to remove it with aircraft remover. They do make two differant methods to apply hot or cold, but you are doing cold so no reason the explain the other. It's fairly cheaper and will probably be thinner unless you put more coats on. Overall I'd probably go with the cheaper unless this is for show or will be in rough situation, heavy supplies inside or something like that.

hobie said:
I didn't see LinX when I did mine, but I compared mine to Rhino when I did the CJ.

Prep makes a difference for durability on both.
Cost definitely goes to Herucline/Durabak
Ease goes to having someone else do it (Rhino/LinX)

Rhino seemed tougher, but I'm comparing it to the durabak/herculiner I put on fiberglass, and that seems to peel a bit.

Ease of repair herucliner/durabak

Issues -
DIY stuff, you'll need a ventilated area (might want to take the doors off too).
Xylene is bad stuff, but you'll need it to wipe off drips, thin, and clean it.
GLOVES
Don't get it on your hootus
It will not clean off skin, do it in the fall when it's cool enough to wear long clothes.
It's great for scratching itches.

J

PS. I'll be driving it to the BOD meeting tomorrow, and will let you check it out.

Thanks Jason,
I like the LinX jobs I have seen, but I want to keep the budget in check. How long have you had it in your Jeep?

I used Herculiner on my TJ. 1 gallon was enough for 2 coats. It's held up great. Only downside is that it's hard to get the rough surface clean. That part doesn't bother me.

I just cleaned the interior well and scuffed any shiny paint with one of those green dishscrubber pads. A quick wipe down with Xylene and then slap on the Herculiner. Herculiner is very sticky stuff and permanent. That's good for a liner but heed the earlier warnings about gloves, scrap clothes, etc...

2.5 years, not including time spent while I was replacing the body... My trailer has it, and is at 4+ years with durabak. It's peeling where heavy stuff has torn it (axles, transmissions, yard waste, etc). It's much easier to repair tho, because it's flat. Edges are the hardest to get thick and repair properly.

If you get sun on it, look into the UV additives too. Mine is turning gray.

J

fryedaddy said:
Most of these are just a thick urethane paint. I'm not familliar with the herculiner brand but as long as the floor has been cleaned and sanded really well you shouldn't have any problems. You won't have carpet and the matting underneath to block heat (down side). I had a CJ8 with a V8 and Rhinoed. The floor was hot but I liked the liner better than carpet. My brother painted my current truck with the Advanced Auto brand in a can. He didn't even sand the paint and I have to remove it with aircraft remover. They do make two differant methods to apply hot or cold, but you are doing cold so no reason the explain the other. It's fairly cheaper and will probably be thinner unless you put more coats on. Overall I'd probably go with the cheaper unless this is for show or will be in rough situation, heavy supplies inside or something like that.

Thanks Fryedaddy. I am already used to the excess heat since I have the carpet removed over my T-400 tranny. I think the body lift helps a little with cooling. For me chaeper is better as long as it lasts a while.

What do you mean sand really well. Do I have to remove all the paint or just clean up the rough stuff and scuff the remaining paint?

BoltOnJohn said:
I used Herculiner on my TJ. 1 gallon was enough for 2 coats. It's held up great. Only downside is that it's hard to get the rough surface clean. That part doesn't bother me.

I just cleaned the interior well and scuffed any shiny paint with one of those green dishscrubber pads. A quick wipe down with Xylene and then slap on the Herculiner. Herculiner is very sticky stuff and permanent. That's good for a liner but heed the earlier warnings about gloves, scrap clothes, etc...

That sounds easy enough.

etjeep said:
Thanks for the tips Rob and Galen. At least we know it sticks to everything!

Wow, that's an old thread, I even have an original reply on that thread.
That's some funny stuff.

The Beast said:
Wow, that's an old thread, I even have an original reply on that thread.
That's some funny stuff.
I met the "Herc on my Hootus Guy", Gerald, at Dixie Run a couple of years ago...he still had a sense of humor about the whole ordeal...nice guy, but he knows, he will never live that one down.

No just make sure to sand all places. I'm not saying put 5 hrs into it. One of those brillo pads work wonders. I just mean't if you painted over an unsanded place there would be a chance for it to pop off.

I have had the hurculiner in the bed of the ranger for 3-4 years. It has faded a little but so have the older rhino liners I have seen. For the price it is hard to beat the hurcliner. I put three coats in the bed and it has very few chunks taken out of it after this time.

Sam(slim)

I have Hurc in my XJ, going on 1.5 years with no problems. Easy to apply, horrible fumes, can't drive the vehicle for a week! Pretty much what everyone else said sums up my experiance. I reccomend it :)

Gary

I hurculinered my grill, speaker box, limited flares and bodycladding on my 97 4Runner. It faded fast but is super strong.
565666_56_full.jpg

565666_52_full.jpg

etjeep said:
Thinking of tearing out whats left of the carpet and using Herculiner on the floorboards and cargo area inside of my rig. I understand you just roll it on and its budget friendly.Eric

I`m looking at doing the bed of my truck with it. Stopped by Auto Zone today and they have the kit for $89 with a $20 mail in rebate (Sept 30)
Still checking around. Not sure if it`s any cheaper anywhere else.

96tacolx said:
I`m looking at doing the bed of my truck with it. Stopped by Auto Zone today and they have the kit for $89 with a $20 mail in rebate (Sept 30)
Still checking around. Not sure if it`s any cheaper anywhere else.

That's a good price.

BoltOnJohn said:
That's a good price.
Seems like I saw it at Northern for $29/qt. The gallons are probably less, need to check

I wish I had used the UV protectant. I masked off my rear fender wells too because they looked fine. Do the tailgate though. Make sure your not in the garage, even with the door open. Apply Herc outside only. I got so high I was seeing double.

BoltOnJohn said:
I'd be surprised if Northern can beat $69/gallon.

I went to Northern this weekend and they had the "kit", 1-gal can for $89 and the quarts for $29. They don't carry any solvents . Did you use any solvent? :confused:

jdubb said:
I wish I had used the UV protectant. I masked off my rear fender wells too because they looked fine. Do the tailgate though. Make sure your not in the garage, even with the door open. Apply Herc outside only. I got so high I was seeing double.

Where would you buy UV protectant?

Back