has anyone taken the NC non-CDL class A license test?

benmack1

I have a pick-up fifth wheel combo and wanted to get myself a non-CDL class A license. I don't really want to debate if it's needed or not here (seems even the DMV can't get that story straight depending on who you talk to). What I wanted to ask if any FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE going through this process and obtaining the non-CDL class A license. What is the written test like and what was the road test like?

I can't find shit about this online as far as what the test consists of and what to study. As best i can tell it is alot less than the CDL version but what alot means is not clear. I don't know if i can take it without studying and have a good chance of passing or if this is alot of specialized info that I need to prep for.

Thanks!

I know I've seen ads for Class A drivers out for years on end at all the Terminals I go past. Looked at them again yesterday. Wilson Trucking has 2 of them right now. I guarantee if you passed that you could find a job!

I know I've seen ads for Class A drivers out for years on end at all the Terminals I go past. Looked at them again yesterday. Wilson Trucking has 2 of them right now. I guarantee if you passed that you could find a job!

I don't want a job, just want to be sure I am legal to the letter of the law from whoever is interpreting it when pulling my fifth wheel camper.

Why not just go after your CDL class A? If you get that you will be above and beyond legal, not to mention you can come haul loads for me on the weekends lol

I have zero knowledge of the NON CDL class A, but I know the CDL test isnt hard if half the idiots that I interview have them.....

Why not just go after your CDL class A? If you get that you will be above and beyond legal, not to mention you can come haul loads for me on the weekends lol

I have zero knowledge of the NON CDL class A, but I know the CDL test isnt hard if half the idiots that I interview have them.....

That's an interesting idea. I assumed since there are 'trucking schools' that just studying the handbook and walking in cold turkey might not turn out well for the actual CDL test itself. Again, I have no clue. I also think some of the penalties and infractions are much more serious for a CDL holder than the non-CDL. Not that I have any plans to be driving after drinking or any of the other no-no's but I cannot ever imagine driving professionally so while I usually like overkill, this probably has some potential downsides. IDK, interesting consideration though. I'm also guessing they aren't going to let me road test for a class A CDL with a 14K GVWR Ram dually and 14K GVWR gooseneck or 16K camper. Probably would laugh at me.

I have a non CDL class B and a friend of mine has a non CDL class A. The tests were the same. Written test was strait from the CDL book, cant remember a lot of the questions but I know I studied the book and passed. Your local DMV should have a copy they will loan you or you can download it here. Driving test varies by location and administrator but for us we just had to drive around the block and basically prove would could keep it between the lines and make turns without running anything over. Make sure you have someone who IS licensed to drive the vehicle actually drive you there. I was at the DMV for something and a guy failed the class B test and had to call someone to come get the truck because they wouldn't let him leave.

Duane

http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/

I just trained our new employee and used this website for practice exams. Passed the written, passed the walk around and aced the skills test.

Want me to teach you too? :driver:

BTW- better make sure you have your DOT physical before you take the skills portion of the test.

I think for a non cdl a you will have to do a quick drive test with the vehicle you're gonna be driving. My father in law has his non cdl a and had to do the driven part. The books are free at the dmv and the test is basic knowledge from the book. Like said above... Any idiot that reads the book can pass the written part.... Lol I did;)

BTW- better make sure you have your DOT physical before you take the skills portion of the test.

Shouldn't be required if you're not hauling for hire, right? Even then, there are exceptions for municipal employees.

Shouldn't be required if you're not hauling for hire, right? Even then, there are exceptions for municipal employees.

From what I can tell, just written and whatever road test the examiner feels like giving, no medical, nor air brake stuff, no hazmat but that's just crap I am assembling based on bits and pieces I am able to find from various forums. It seems the NC DMV doesn't really have any consistency when it comes to thie NON-commercial licensing. A couple folks at the DMV don't even know what the hell I am asking about when I have called. It's sort of pathetic because i suspect many technically should have one of these but just go and don't worry about it. I stopped and asked a motor carrier officer last week at the Mebane scales and he said don't worry about it, they don't care about campers. That's a different answer than I don't legally need that class license. Especially if a wreck ever happens i would guess. Trying to assemble a straight answer from the DMV has not been easy. I also don't think it matter what the hell the truck actually weighs, it's about the door stickers (like my truck is 14K and a 14K gooseneck is well 14K that is 28K GCVWR and being above 26001lbs voila time for a class A. I'll never weigh over 26K but the stickers add up to that so I think that ropes me into the requirement. What a pain in the ass.

Well, I am taking flight lessons and just got my aviation medical so my nuts are all felt out for the moment.:eek:

I've been driving Everything, since it was called a Chauffeur License. Was grandfathered into Class A [Semi/Tractor & Trailer combo, with air brakes]. Haven't looked up the stats, but it's always been my understanding, no Special License needed for under 26K. Class B, is straight truck/air brake, & class C, straight truck/non air. I have heard of some Commercial license, that a Company may require, but I can't see a Private person needing one.

I grandfathered in too...bus driver, when the new law took effect. No test of any kind. Went in, said I needed a CDL, they asked if I wanted an A or B, they took my pic and handed me the card. Got everything except hazmat, said I'd have to test for that. Go figure.

Hazmats are a pain in the butt.... I've been rejected twice. No criminal background whatsoever, but because I have a certificate of birth abroad instead of a birth certificate.

I think for a non cdl a you will have to do a quick drive test with the vehicle you're gonna be driving. My father in law has his non cdl a and had to do the driven part. The books are free at the dmv and the test is basic knowledge from the book. Like said above... Any idiot that reads the book can pass the written part.... Lol I did;)

They no longer have books at the DMV...Its all online now
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/handbooks_CDLmanual.pdf

Yea I use to have mine and I let it go a few years ago, but now I am back in the truck world so I am going back to get it again...Lady at the office informed me ever so nicely that they no longer have paper books. Said the State didnt have enough money to give every body a book...

I had mine for years, Class B CDL. Drove mixers and dumps for the longest time then just held on to them to have them. When I moved to SC they told me I would have to take the written portion over again and reup my physical. I just decided not to renew them and got a regular license. Didn't wanna have to go back to the DMV again...

So for those that have taken the cdl-a road test what is it like?
You hope your examiner is having a good day; because a few I know that went, got flunked on BS items! You will need someone to drive the vehicle there, if your not legally licensed. You also need to call & get an appointment! You'll need the legal driver, in case they don't like you. {Flunked} You present your paperwork, or take the written test. Double check before you go, as per papers you need, > Birth Cert., multiple forms of ID, insurance, Who knows? Once you pass all that, you go out to the vehicle, do the Proper, walk around inspection, & then the road test. Go out & drive probably a 5 mile loop, return, & back in to a parking place. Hey, It's been a few years, so things may have changed. I had 1 unlucky guy, who took his passed written exam, to a Truck driver school, handed them $75. They Certified him, & he returned to the DMV that kept screwing him, & had his photo taken, end of That story!

Alright, done!

Process was actually simpler than I had thought. I studied the CDL manual and went to the DMV and told them what I wanted. After some back and forth that I really didn't need it and was going through alot of hassle for no reason the officer set me up with a test. It was just the general knowledge CDL test on the computer. 50 questions, gotta get 40 correct. I hit 40 correct at question 44 and the system booted my ass out with a PASS. I then had to schedule a road test which was 2 weeks later. I showed up with my Ram 3500 (14000 GVWR) and @tlucier 's Kaufman gooseneck (also 14000 GVWR) so my GCVWR was 28K so the combination qualified for the test. The examiner looked at the door tag on the truck, and trailer and said it is good for the test. She checked the lights and horn and that was it. Off we went. It was clear to me they do very few of these non-CDL road tests because she had to ask her supervisor what the hell to do. The supervisor thought for a minute and said just take him on the normal circle. We went up the freeway 5 miles, got off, got back on the other way, back 4 miles and off on to some side streets in Graham and back to the DMV. I guess she could tell immediately I was OK with it as we talked about my job for the rest of the trip. She didn't seem to be paying too much attention to my driving. I parked and we went in and took my picture for the license. Non-CDL class A in hand. I should be able to pull my camper legally now as well as drag @tlucier trailer when his gasser can't make it up a hill :flipoff2:

Back