Got the short course racing itch?...

I've been absent on this forum, focusing most of my efforts on the Facebook page (and setting up a website, which was a huge pain in the ass for a shitty site).

I've talked to Dylan about racer concerns of cheaters and I can see how people lose faith in the "cheaters" that exist out there. I can guarantee that the first 2 years, you are not going to want to be the one with the fastest truck or winning by a huge margin. There will be racer policing in effect and it will be rough!! But I will take the rules seriously and keep everyone in check.

So far we have 11 trucks that have been purchased with the intention to build a bro-lite. There are 6 others who are currently looking and 5 people who have expressed serious interest in an "arrive and drive" setup. I'm impressed with the interest that we've had so far and really excited to have more trucks to run around together.

Build cost:
Truck (I've had no problems in Northern VA finding good trucks for $500-800, junk for $400) - $800
Shocks $1000
Fuel cell - $215
Fuel Pump/Filter - $100
Tires - $400
Seat - $150
Harnesses - $75
Roll Cage tubing/materials - $500
Total Build Cost - $3,240

For my truck, I had an old seat, harness, fuel pump, and some leftover tubing. The truck parts are SO cheap. You can add power steering to the truck with brand new parts for $140. A clutch is $80. Radiator is $75.

Front suspension "tricks" arent going to net you anything fancy, the bushings limit wheel travel to about 9". You also dont have to worry about shocks through the hood. I have about 12" above the top mount and I'm running a 10" shock.

Thanks for bumping this up Scott. I need to get pics started on here, but so far have only removed a few items from the truck. Bumpers,mirrors,lights etc... sold some stuff to a member on here and have already started recouping some coin by selling a few parts.

I should start really tearing into this thing soon. And a completely transparent build thread will be right around the corner.

Josh and I have been looking for two trucks as well, can't wait to start seeing some serious action and some build threads for these.

Anybody want to get together for a ford ranger stripping party? I'll supply the food and beverages of choice and we'll rip my truck apart.:rockon:

This thread is extremely pic deprived. With 11+ trucks already purchased, we need some pictures!!!!

Consider me a paying spectator in waiting, can't wait to see these things sling dirt. I've been looking for a car to get my family into something like this.

Or better yet - the serious guys start their own thread.

This thread is extremely pic deprived. With 11+ trucks already purchased, we need some pictures!!!!

Consider me a paying spectator in waiting, can't wait to see these things sling dirt. I've been looking for a car to get my family into something like this.

There's some pics and videos on the bro-lite facebook page.
I'll try to get a few pics. up soon.
Jay, I think you should consider this bro lite stuff. I've bought my ranger and the tear down and build has started. I hope others decide to do it too.

Just going by the rules that are already established on the bro lite web site and facebook page, I ,at least, plan to attend the race in Sept in WV with the other dudes up there.

But I really hope more folks around here decide to build one too. ( I'm still optimistic)
Maybe even work in a ''powder puff'' race or two for our ladies..idk.

We'll race them at local NC places like URE and possibly the Flatts and maybe even the field at dpg....

Last edited:
Bump!! Maybe some of you are still thinking about this. If some more of you will build one...we can race!
20160110_013034.jpg

Any talk of still doing a track at URE?
Need some trucks!

@Dylan W. how much $$ are you into the build for now?

I'm pleading the 5th here.

But I can say that I've replaced the entire front end from bearing to bearing including all new brakes,bushings, radius arms,ttb, and every spring mount, body mounts and bushings. Also..new starter,radiator, belts,hoses,clutch,....too much. BUT..all of this work was brought on by the fact that the original truck was basically a rusted up turd.
In other words...if you were to buy a better platform, you wouldn't have to spend this money.

So...minus the above list.. I'd say
Shit load of tubing
Shit load of awesome fabricating
6 new tires
4 fox shocks
Fuel cell
Window net
Harnesses
3 hoods
8 fenders
4 front grills and header
Battery holder
Battery
Electric supplies
Misc..hardware and doodads
All the other stuff I'm forgetting

You could have a killer bro-lite truck built for 5k or less..depending on some things of course.

You could probably build one yourself for 3 k or less...depending on some things.

If you already have a seat, harnesses, maybe a fuel cell, then there's more savings....kinda of.

Point is...just build one and make it as cheap as you can.;) And let's race...and make everybody else wanna build one too.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MarsFab, post: 1216124, member:

I really like the idea of this being a "stock car" like race. Some guys will build their own car, some will buy a marsfab car, some will buy a right side performance car and whoever else.
.[/QUOTE]

Just bringing some old quotes back to the top:driver:

I'm racing in my second race on 9/10 in Pa.
Then the 3rd race is in NY on 10/1

Finished 3rd on the podium in a muddy first race.

I really want to stress how much fun this racing is. Door to door, bumper to bumper, sliding sideways. Not too slow to be boring...not to fast to be superdeadly scary. Really, it's just right!!

Back