Got the Diesel Itch, need some knowledge

chris

cltdba
As many of you know I just bought a new 5 ton trailer. Well, now I've got the diesel itch. I've been doing some research and I've narrowed my choices down to two trucks. I do realize that upkeep on a diesel is more expensive, but I am not concerned with that. I want one and that's all that matters to me. :)

Let first explain my plans for this tow rig. I am not interested in drag racing, grudge pulling or doing any competitions. I have enough money invested in my trail rigs. My intentions are to keep the truck stock for the most part. The only upgrades I'll likely add are a small suspension lift, perhaps one of those programmers and bling items. The wife and I are separating and she's taking the car so this will be my daily driver. I need it to be as fuel efficient as possible. I need a 4 door with long bed. I am not considering the Duramax because of IFS.

I would like some feedback on the trucks I've chosen to look for. Any information you can provide me about problems with the engines, drive trains, etc would be great. Also if you could point me to sites where I can read more that would be great too.
  • 2005-2008 Dodge 2500/3500 SRW with 5.9L 24v Cummins and 6 speed manual transmission
    [-] I chose this year range because of the 24v and I understand the issues with the injectors are fixed. I like this truck the most because of the cummins and fuel mileage it gets. I also understand this engine is quieter than the 12 valves. I don't really like the older body style on the Dodges either.
  • 2001-2002 Ford F250/350 SRW with 7.3L Powerstroke & manual transmission
    [-] I understand this is the most reliable year range for the 7.3L. I really love the looks of the Ford super duty trucks, but I'm not sure how this truck will hold up. Most already have high mileage. Also I'm concerned about fuel mileage.
If there are other trucks/year ranges I should be considering please let me know which ones and why. Also having a hard time finding these trucks so if you know where to look, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys!

all i can say is that my 02 with 160K is pulling great.
all i've done is magnaflow 4" turbo back, afe stageII intake, and regular powerhungry chip 40/80/100 hp gains...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v92_fdrose_King_20of_20the_20Hammers_031.jpg

last trip was to the hammers and back... 8.5 mpg 4,500 round trip and i weighed in at 24,600 lbs.
not even a hickup... well other than running out of gas which was my fault not the trucks.
:beer:

As many of you know I just bought a new 5 ton trailer. Well, now I've got the diesel itch. I've been doing some research and I've narrowed my choices down to two trucks. I do realize that upkeep on a diesel is more expensive, but I am not concerned with that. I want one and that's all that matters to me. :)

Let first explain my plans for this tow rig. I am not interested in drag racing, grudge pulling or doing any competitions. I have enough money invested in my trail rigs. My intentions are to keep the truck stock for the most part. The only upgrades I'll likely add are a small suspension lift, perhaps one of those programmers and bling items. The wife and I are separating and she's taking the car so this will be my daily driver. I need it to be as fuel efficient as possible. I need a 4 door with long bed. I am not considering the Duramax because of IFS.

I would like some feedback on the trucks I've chosen to look for. Any information you can provide me about problems with the engines, drive trains, etc would be great. Also if you could point me to sites where I can read more that would be great too.
  • 2005-2008 Dodge 2500/3500 SRW with 5.9L 24v Cummins and 6 speed manual transmission
    [-] I chose this year range because of the 24v and I understand the issues with the injectors are fixed. I like this truck the most because of the cummins and fuel mileage it gets. I also understand this engine is quieter than the 12 valves. I don't really like the older body style on the Dodges either.
  • 2001-2002 Ford F250/350 SRW with 7.3L Powerstroke & manual transmission
    [-] I understand this is the most reliable year range for the 7.3L. I really love the looks of the Ford super duty trucks, but I'm not sure how this truck will hold up. Most already have high mileage. Also I'm concerned about fuel mileage.
If there are other trucks/year ranges I should be considering please let me know which ones and why. Also having a hard time finding these trucks so if you know where to look, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys!

you just about can't go wrong with either of those trucks for a reliable tow rig. on the cummins, the 600 series 5.9L that you are looking at started in 04.5 and stopped in 07. I wouldn't over look the 03-04 either. The 03-05s came with the NV5600 6-speed, and some of the 05s to all the 06-07s came with the G56 6-speed. Either will be fine for your needs.

the only thing i know about the ford is that you DONT want the 6.0.

you are on the right track.

HAHAHA!I knew it man I knew you had the itch now!!You should have never asked me about my ol dodge!Well you know my opinions about them all even if I am truely a ford man when it came to diesel I had to get a CUMMINS not dodge lol!I didnt mean for you to rule out the 03-04s either just because my injector problems they are awesome trucks and alot of ppl I talk to with those years dont have any problems but I am pushing out some fuel with my upgrades,so its not easy on them and I cracked a few of my injectors.You cant beat a 1999-2003 7.3 FORD but like he said with 8.5 mpgs pulling thats one thing the CUMMINS has on it big time!Im getting 19-22 mpgs around town with 37" tires!I still get 16-17 pulling my yota or w/e too having said that thought all you have to do to the 7.3 FORD or 5.9 CUMMINS is a straight exhaust,good AFE intake,and maybe a mild programmer.My diablo predator I had running on my dodge gave my dodge AWESOME mpgs(best being 24) and plenty of power and its one of the cheapest out there running at about 300 bucks!
Im am by no means an expert just giving my experience!Good luck man!

Also if you are wanting to get a 6 speed like mine you need to be looking at the 03-05s I think those were the only years with the NV5600s,newer than that they have the G56 and have been giving some problems but not terrible.

you just about can't go wrong with either of those trucks for a reliable tow rig. on the cummins, the 600 series 5.9L that you are looking at started in 04.5 and stopped in 07. I wouldn't over look the 03-04 either. The 03-05s came with the NV5600 6-speed, and some of the 05s to all the 06-07s came with the G56 6-speed. Either will be fine for your needs.
the only thing i know about the ford is that you DONT want the 6.0.
you are on the right track.

Thanks for the correction on the years. Do you know anything about the NV5600 vs the G56? I thought the G56 was the desired transmission between the two.

HAHAHA!I knew it man I knew you had the itch now!!You should have never asked me about my ol dodge!Well you know my opinions about them all even if I am truely a ford man when it came to diesel I had to get a CUMMINS not dodge lol!I didnt mean for you to rule out the 03-04s either just because my injector problems they are awesome trucks and alot of ppl I talk to with those years dont have any problems but I am pushing out some fuel with my upgrades,so its not easy on them and I cracked a few of my injectors.You cant beat a 1999-2003 7.3 FORD but like he said with 8.5 mpgs pulling thats one thing the CUMMINS has on it big time!Im getting 19-22 mpgs around town with 37" tires!I still get 16-17 pulling my yota or w/e too having said that thought all you have to do to the 7.3 FORD or 5.9 CUMMINS is a straight exhaust,good AFE intake,and maybe a mild programmer.My diablo predator I had running on my dodge gave my dodge AWESOME mpgs(best being 24) and plenty of power and its one of the cheapest out there running at about 300 bucks!
Im am by no means an expert just giving my experience!Good luck man!
Also if you are wanting to get a 6 speed like mine you need to be looking at the 03-05s I think those were the only years with the NV5600s,newer than that they have the G56 and have been giving some problems but not terrible.

Yeah dude, I got the itch something fierce. I talked Micky's ears off all day Saturday about it. Even drove to Mooresville last night to see if I could find anything on the lots.

I always thought the G56 was the better tranny. Thanks for the info. I'd still like to find an 05 though. Little newer and probably less miles.

It's really hard finding these things with a manual transmission. They seem to be non-existent in the Laramies. Leather would probably get too dirty with my activities anyway.

If you couldn't tell I think I'm leaning towards the Dodge. I love the way the Ford looks but that fuel mileage just isn't adequate.

all i can say is that my 02 with 160K is pulling great.
all i've done is magnaflow 4" turbo back, afe stageII intake, and regular powerhungry chip 40/80/100 hp gains...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v92_fdrose_King_20of_20the_20Hammers_031.jpg

last trip was to the hammers and back... 8.5 mpg 4,500 round trip and i weighed in at 24,600 lbs.
not even a hickup... well other than running out of gas which was my fault not the trucks.
:beer:

Nice lookin setup you got there! Do love the look of the Fords, but man 8.5 mpg..even if I could get 15mpg that's about what I'm getting now in my Ram 1500 and I can't imagine paying the extra price for diesel at that mileage. :(

yea i would go with a cummins drove both and i loved the ford but you just can't beat the cummins motor, aftermarket and mpgs wise, even if the truck falls away that motor will still be running strong, and the cool thing about a cummins is you can keep adding power upgrades and it will keep increasing in mpgs to a point

the NV is actually stronger than the G56, BUT some people shy away from them because they're really expensive to get rebuilt and its harder to find parts. That didn't stop me though. if you maintain it and don't sled pull or drag race, it will last a long long time. it's going to be a matter of opinion. a lot of people like the NV and a lot of people like the G56.

My brother has an 01 7.3 with the manual, and i'll tell you that my truck (NV5600) shifts like a dream compared to his. my dad has an 03 with the NV5600, and it is such a sweet truck.

have you checked out thedieselgarage.com for some info? and im not sure if you noticed but CJ5 buggy said he got 8.5mpg towin 24,600k lbs. thats a pretty big load, and not to bad of mileage considering the weight if you ask me. you couldnt get 8.5mpg in a gas truck pullin 10k probably. just my $.02

have you checked out thedieselgarage.com for some info? and im not sure if you noticed but CJ5 buggy said he got 8.5mpg towin 24,600k lbs. thats a pretty big load, and not to bad of mileage considering the weight if you ask me. you couldnt get 8.5mpg in a gas truck pullin 10k probably. just my $.02

I'll check out the site. Thanks. I get about 8mpg pulling around 6k with my Hemi 1/2 ton. I anticipated getting around 10-12 pulling the same with the 7.3. To be honest, pulling mileage isn't as big of a deal as empty highway mileage since I'll be using it as a DD as well. (Unless I can find a ratty gas saver to drive to work.)

Chris,

Lots of good Dodge info here in the forums: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

I really like my '01 Ram, but you want the newer body style... I have the NV5600, (120K miles) no problems so far, shifts smooth, and the gear ratios are great for the Cummins...

I like my 07 dodge alot. And as far as the g56 if your planning on adding power even a 30hp chip you will have to upgrade the clutch they won't hold up to any extra power. Mine tore factory clutch out at 40K after only running smarty jr. 30hp setting for 600 miles. I upgraded to south bend dual disk though and not a problem since. My smart sr. cant make the thing slip and it shifts very smooth. I also don't get the mileage many claim out of these trucks. Best I've ever got was 19 and that was very easy 55mph driving. I usually get 15-17 dd the truck. And I found mine in Pennsylvania on DieselTruckResource. Also if no one close to you has one you could drive your more then welcome to come down here and drive mine and make sure you like it.

Chris,
Lots of good Dodge info here in the forums: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
I really like my '01 Ram, but you want the newer body style... I have the NV5600, (120K miles) no problems so far, shifts smooth, and the gear ratios are great for the Cummins...

I like my 07 dodge alot. And as far as the g56 if your planning on adding power even a 30hp chip you will have to upgrade the clutch they won't hold up to any extra power. Mine tore factory clutch out at 40K after only running smarty jr. 30hp setting for 600 miles. I upgraded to south bend dual disk though and not a problem since. My smart sr. cant make the thing slip and it shifts very smooth. I also don't get the mileage many claim out of these trucks. Best I've ever got was 19 and that was very easy 55mph driving. I usually get 15-17 dd the truck. And I found mine in Pennsylvania on DieselTruckResource. Also if no one close to you has one you could drive your more then welcome to come down here and drive mine and make sure you like it.

Thanks for the links guys! Yota I'd definitely like to come look at/drive it if I can't find one any closer. Not sure why, but they seem to be rare here. I think I'm pretty dead set on the Dodge with the cummins now. What year I want is still debatable, but since I have an 2003 1500 I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to the 2006+ to get the newer front end and interior. So many choices. :)

hey Frank were you in the Marines or sumthin? :beer:
:beer: yep...
Nice lookin setup you got there! Do love the look of the Fords, but man 8.5 mpg..even if I could get 15mpg that's about what I'm getting now in my Ram 1500 and I can't imagine paying the extra price for diesel at that mileage. :(
just as said that was my largest load and shitiest mpg evar.
one trip to Uwarrie the wifes yj and my cj i got 11 and weighed in at 22k
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v92_fdrose_Uwarrie_IMG_3191.jpg

then if i'm just pulling cj5 i have no idea of weight, but i get around 13-15 depending.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v92_fdrose_pics_1greenieontruck.jpg

on the dd side of the house i know everyone lies right... i get around 18+ depending on my foot. which i like to use ALOT.

i've got an 07 dodge dually with the 5.9 (early 07) auto and 373 rears,no power upgrades,just like it come from the factory.i know my yj don't weigh much but i can't even tell it's back there.i've pulled a 550 case dozer around quite few times and it handles it with no problem.also this may sound crazy but you may want to call some of the dealerships around houston tx. for several years dodge had $10,000 off on 1 tons.my truck was 44,600 and i got it for 34,600. they were still selling them for that when i move back here. texas is truck country and very possible to get good enough deal to make it worth a trip.

I've got a strong feeling you'll end up with a Dodge, I wonder why? If you do get one, stevewes2004 is one of my buds Chris, so I can hook you up with him and he can take you for a ride in his. Also he is close to us, he's in Concord and has alot of Goat knowlege. As far as the diesel itch goes, I don't think you can cure it with benadryl. :shaking:

Thanks for the links guys! Yota I'd definitely like to come look at/drive it if I can't find one any closer. Not sure why, but they seem to be rare here. I think I'm pretty dead set on the Dodge with the cummins now. What year I want is still debatable, but since I have an 2003 1500 I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to the 2006+ to get the newer front end and interior. So many choices. :)

just some more food for thought, the 03-04s (305hp) will get a little better mileage than the 04.5+ (325hp).

im definitly not bashing the 7.3 either, it's already proven itself to be good.

good luck with whatever you choose.

Let first explain my plans for this tow rig. I am not interested in drag racing, grudge pulling or doing any competitions.

Boooo :flipoff2:

Hah, jk, My bro and I both like our Dodges except we are both having fuel and transmission issues, he has the 6 speed, I have the 5 speed.

Niether of our clutches are holding up at all, and his syncros are bout gone (yes he has the syncromesh fluid)

His lift pump died and took the injector pump with it (well over 1000K fix), my daguum freakin 600 dollar FASS fuel system (that everyone told me to buy cause it was "the best") keeps cutting out on me, and I can't keep boost tubes attached to the thing (blew one off both coming and going to DPG this past weekend) . . . .

One thing that did get me was how everyone seems to say with a dodge and manual tranny even with big tires you'll get 17+ MPG, both my brother and I are getting like maybe 13 . . . better than my Z71's 6 or 7ish MPG but still sucks

Bro's dodge is all stock except on 40's with a cone filter and cut off muffler/cat

Mine has Fass, Quadzilla ADR, 4" straight Pipe exhaust and S&B intake with the 37's

Oh and did I mention the stock clutches won't hold up to anything . . . :shaking:

Not to diss dodges or anything, wouldn't drive any other kind of Diesel anyway (unless you put a cummins in a Z71 but that is another story) but was definitly dissapointed with all the hype people gave dodges as a whole (motors are great but everything else seems to be soso) and then you have to factor in the fact that because I drive it it automatically is going to run terrible an break all the time . . . I hate everything mechanical :shaking:

sound like you have a lead foot :) that doesn't help the "everything mechanical" part of it

One thing that did get me was how everyone seems to say with a dodge and manual tranny even with big tires you'll get 17+ MPG, both my brother and I are getting like maybe 13 . . . better than my Z71's 6 or 7ish MPG but still sucks

Bro's dodge is all stock except on 40's with a cone filter and cut off muffler/cat

Mine has Fass, Quadzilla ADR, 4" straight Pipe exhaust and S&B intake with the 37's

really 37 inch tires and your wondering why your mileage sucks?

i got a friend up in pa who has a quadcab dodge 3500 dually whose pulling 23-24 mpg hand calculated over a 6 month period (no towing) of course he has a programmer his rear tires have been switched to single wides and he lowered the truck 3 inches. Plus his tires are now smaller than stock and he drives like a grandmother.

but he definately saves money at the pump.

edit : I think he also did the deletes but I'm not sure if his year dodge came with all that stuff I'll have to check.

sound like you have a lead foot :) that doesn't help the "everything mechanical" part of it

Yea, nah, I'll openly admit to that, I usually don't speed but seriously from 0 to the speed limit its quite literally "pedal to the floor trying to blow as much smoke as possible because there's a hot chick in that car over there" type deal, got no problems admitting that I get really stupid at the slightest hint of an attractive female around when I'm behind any kinda wheel, I am also extremely impatient (those two factors of course contributing to the nickname Ricky Bobby) - but am ok with accepting that that is what kills my MPG and clutch, and breaks things.

but not sure why my lil bro's MPG and clutch is so bad too (plus his syncro's are bout shot), cause he is Mr. putt along super slow don't care about anything kinda guy always is, kinda annoys me sometimes . . . maybe its the 40's, idk but the 40's were a recent addition it was on 37's before for a long time and acted the same

but yes I have a serious deep seated, passionate, loathing for all things mechanical/electrical/etc :lol: :shaking:

really 37 inch tires and your wondering why your mileage sucks?

I understand, but i was told by numerous "experts" across the boards for almost a over a year of me looking that even with 37's I would get up near 17/18 mpg b4 I bought the truck, was kinda misled . . . kinda how I was misled by numerous diesel "experts" that the FASS was the best kit on the market.

Kinda similar to how I was misled that Holley blue fuel pump is supposedly the best pump to buy, that I only have had for 5 months in the jeep died on me and of course is out of the 90 period of witch to get warrantied.

I can go on if you'd like . . . ha, sorry i get angry when talking about vehicles dude :shaking:

His lift pump died and took the injector pump with it (well over 1000K fix), my daguum freakin 600 dollar FASS fuel system (that everyone told me to buy cause it was "the best") keeps cutting out on me, and I can't keep boost tubes attached to the thing (blew one off both coming and going to DPG this past weekend) . . . .

That sucks. I've had my FASS pump for about 4 years and never touched it since I installed it.

Have you guys correctly figured your fuel mileage based on the larger tires? Dodges come stock with small 245's. You are traveling farther than your odometer is registering, so if you haven't done the math, you are getting better than the 13mpg you think you are getting.

I think the best I have gotten in my 2001 Dodge is about 18-19 mpg empty running down the highway. Mine is stock except for a leveling kit in the front and 285 tires.

My truck has over 200k miles on it, and I never have to pick up a wrench. I believe the reason is because I have left it stock. I'm tempted on occasion to buy a programmer, but I sure like the reliability of the stock set up.

Back