Fall Crawl (Harlan, Ky) Oct 19-21

I might not be there now......... depending on what I have going on. I need to get promoted in the Corps, and I have my career course scheduled to start the 23rd of October. If I can get everything situated, and buy all of the items I need, and still have $$$$ left over I will go. My Career is my priority over wheeling.

I should be there- somebody will have to pull that big green roadblock (cherokee) off the trail... right 4xfever!!!! :fuck-you:

In my personal opinion you'd have to be smoking crack to pull any sort of trailer from Boone to Bristol on 421. I'd go 77 to Wytheville. Just my opinion though :)

Woody...one thing to consider is you will be pulling a long grade either route (Fancy Gap on 77 or 421 from Wilkes to Boone). You have pulled both, so you know what to expect.

I know you took the northern route last time we went to Harlan...so a little input on the southern route

321 From Boone to Johnson City/81/26/421 is a fairly winding road that loops around one side of Watauga Lake but it isnt bad. I HAVE to pull it and did last time and its not that bad. After that Its a cakewalk to Harlan. If you can deal with 45 minutes worth of winding 2 lane mountain roads you will be fine taking the southern route through Boone.

In my personal opinion you'd have to be smoking crack to pull any sort of trailer from Boone to Bristol on 421. I'd go 77 to Wytheville. Just my opinion though :)
You are right on with that. My first time to Harlan we went that way because it looked so good on the map. 421 goes just about straight to Harlan. It was a rough drive and I wasn't even towing back then.

I know 421 is practically an interstate to about Wilkesboro but I don't think I've taken the 321 section to I26. If it's rough I'd probably be better off just cruising down I77/I81.

321 From Boone to Johnson City/81/26/421 is a fairly winding road that loops around one side of Watauga Lake but it isnt bad. I HAVE to pull it and did last time and its not that bad. After that Its a cakewalk to Harlan. If you can deal with 45 minutes worth of winding 2 lane mountain roads you will be fine taking the southern route through Boone.
Hmm, it kind of sounds like I should just roll on the interstates even though it is 17 miles further. It's like I keep telling myself, length isn't everything. :)

Woody, Last time I went to Harlan I had to go pick Jeff up from Hudson. I took the 321 route through Boone and onto Harlan the way that Stretch explained. I didn't like that way at all. On the way home I took 23 to 81 to 77 and was a much happier camper.

I wanna come!
I've never been there, so can someone clue me in on the accomodations, camping preferred. All I could gather was the "Verda Field".
Any convoys passing through Charlotte or Statesville that I can hook up with?

I wanna come!
I've never been there, so can someone clue me in on the accomodations, camping preferred. All I could gather was the "Verda Field".
Any convoys passing through Charlotte or Statesville that I can hook up with?

COME ON!!!! The field is ok. I think they have a porta shitter in the field, but................. that is it. You can get a hotel room down the road if it's not booked. Coming through Winston Salem on Wednesday afternoon if you wanna tag along...........

Google "HARLAN, KY" and it will give you some links to some of the local info.

Back