EDC folding knives

How do you carry? On belt perpendicular? I've seen some parallel. I've been considering a fixed blade with all this discussion, even thinking about a fixed boot knife. So many I looked at are Tactical and not utility. I'm hoping to find a smallish utility fixed blade that is less than 6". Since I'm iised to carrying a folder in my pocket.
Vertical, hanging from a belt always with a little bit of the bottom of the sheath visible. I tend to shy away from concealed. Knives live in this grey area in the law. And the less I have to argue the better. Careful with boot knives. Many of them are double edged and barred form conceal carry. Same with trench knives (brass knuckle handle)

Always refer it as your “cutting tool”. It’s never a knife. Because in NC law knife isn’t defined and cutting tools are legal in more places than knives.

Wear it everywhere. Be known for always having your cutting tool on you. Use it. Have wear marks on the blade and scratches on the handle. Establish a pattern of always carrying your cutting tool. If you ever use it in self defense it takes away the accusation that you only carried for that intention. That advice goes for folders as well.

For me EDC = Phone with over 50% charge, Knife, Light, Glock, watch, and lighter.
We got a lot more in common than just our good looks. I don’t keep a lighter on my person, but I have one in every vehicle, and one in my desk at work. Of course, guns are bad so I don’t carry those. But otherwise, it sounds like a pretty similar routine.

We got a lot more in common than just our good looks. I don’t keep a lighter on my person, but I have one in every vehicle, and one in my desk at work. Of course, guns are bad so I don’t carry those. But otherwise, it sounds like a pretty similar routine.
Did I say 'glock'? That was a typo. I meant Clock. I carry a Clock. Because you always want time on your side.

Vertical, hanging from a belt always with a little bit of the bottom of the sheath visible. I tend to shy away from concealed. Knives live in this grey area in the law. And the less I have to argue the better. Careful with boot knives. Many of them are double edged and barred form conceal carry. Same with trench knives (brass knuckle handle)

Always refer it as your “cutting tool”. It’s never a knife. Because in NC law knife isn’t defined and cutting tools are legal in more places than knives.

Wear it everywhere. Be known for always having your cutting tool on you. Use it. Have wear marks on the blade and scratches on the handle. Establish a pattern of always carrying your cutting tool. If you ever use it in self defense it takes away the accusation that you only carried for that intention. That advice goes for folders as well.
Thanks, I've always carried a cutting tool for well over 25 years now. Always a folder. May try a cheapish fixed cutting tool to see how I like it before making a huge jump, kydex or leather? I used to carry a Buck folder on my belt I got in high-school back in the 80s, started carrying pocket when I got my spyderco about 96.

Thanks, I've always carried a cutting tool for well over 25 years now. Always a folder. May try a cheapish fixed cutting tool to see how I like it before making a huge jump, kydex or leather? I used to carry a Buck folder on my belt I got in high-school back in the 80s, started carrying pocket when I got my spyderco about 96.
I prefer leather. Just looks better. But, if you work around water or in the rain leather will stain your pants and shirts. It’s also a little harder to find leather sheaths these days. Even harder to find a leather sheath on a knife I like. I’ll go to Amazon and buy a couple cheap knives to get their leather sheaths and use them on my better knives that came with kydex. I also keep an eye out at craft shows and things like that for a leather workers

I only carried multiple blade knifes for years (one sharp blade and one "working" blade). My go to for the last 5-10 was the same old timer. A couple years ago I started carrying a multi tool for work. I wound up leaving the pocket knife at home on the dresser and now all I carry is the leatherman. Its just too damn handy.

It stays in my pocket watch pocket beside the mircostream.

I carry a Leatherman and a Milwaukee fastback (6n1) for the same reason. One has to stay sharp and one is for poking holes in things and prying. Pretty easy to sharpen a razor blade.

Question- why do y'all carry flashlights when your phone has one built in?
I was going to say because its really hard to hold your phone in your mouth. lol I hold my flashlight with my mouth so both hands are free at least once a day. I don't think I could function without a light.

(I have the same question about watches but we aren't talking about those... yet)
I have always hated stuff around my wrist. I don't even like long sleeves because of that. Before everyone carried phones (yes I'm old enough to remember that) I switched from a wrist watch to a pocket watch for that same reason.

Oddly enough I've been contemplating going to a smart watch, but that would be mainly for mtb.

I carry a Leatherman and a Milwaukee fastback (6n1) for the same reason. One has to stay sharp and one is for poking holes in things and prying. Pretty easy to sharpen a razor blade.
Doin farm work a Leatherman or one comes with me often. I also have a couple razor knifes vs..
On the razors, my last pack was probably Kobalt from Lowes. Either they are low quality or stuff like cardboard is getting more abrasive. They dull rather quickly.

here is a subject matter prompt
i routinely have issues with knives carried like this, scratching car paint, bike paint, banging door trip. Etc. How about yall? How do yall carry folding knives in a way to minimize damage from the metal clip?

1701358682283.png

i routinely have issues with knives carried like this, scratching car paint, bike paint, banging door trip. Etc. How about yall? How do yall carry folding knives in a way to minimize damage from the metal clip?

View attachment 407909
Funny, it has become habit to put my hand over my clip when walking around a car. especially at car shows, for this reason exactly. :D I have scratched furniture, or door jams, but not paint on cars.

So, to be clear, you have a long tubular object in your mouth at least once a day?

Well yes, but that's only so his hands get a break once a day ;)

:laughing:
I knew that was gonna happen...

View attachment 407909
I put my leatherman and microstream in that little pocket (pocketwatch) and don't clip it. It even stays vertical.

I put my leatherman and microstream in that little pocket (pocketwatch) and don't clip it. It even stays vertical.

Thats what i started to do too. only certain brands tho have deep enough ones that the "stuff" isnt poking out the top

Ive thought about switching over to a pouch and replacing my wallet. Especially as I am in sweats or gym shorts 9/10 days.

1701372114451.png

1701372145280.png

View attachment 407909
Stop leaning on things...

For real, I dunno. That's kinda how I lost one of my Kershaw's. I'm 99% sure I picked up a trashbag and tossed it in the can in a hurry to beat the trash truck that was coming down the street. Then a little while later, realized my knife was missing and vaguely remembered that I might have felt it pull my knife out of my pocket without me realizing it. That was 15 years ago, but I'm still hypersensitive to such things ever since.

Ive thought about switching over to a pouch and replacing my wallet. Especially as I am in sweats or gym shorts 9/10 days.

View attachment 407924

View attachment 407925
Man purse....well id just loose everything at one time! Sweats and gym shorts.....not since middle school. Seems I found work after that age. Or at least work requiring I don't loose my britches......I got the no ass-at-toll disease.

Funny, it has become habit to put my hand over my clip when walking around a car. especially at car shows, for this reason exactly. :D I have scratched furniture, or door jams, but not paint on cars.
Yep, same here. I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore. Many years ago, my wifes parents had an old chair refinished as a gift for us, and the first thing I did was sit down in it and scratch the freshly refinished wooden arm with the part of my knife sticking out of my pocket :rolleyes:

Yep, same here. I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore. Many years ago, my wifes parents had an old chair refinished as a gift for us, and the first thing I did was sit down in it and scratch the freshly refinished wooden arm with the part of my knife sticking out of my pocket :rolleyes:

its happened enough times with me im hyper conscious about it.

Man purse....well id just loose everything at one time! Sweats and gym shorts.....not since middle school. Seems I found work after that age. Or at least work requiring I don't loose my britches......I got the no ass-at-toll disease.

ha id have the same opinion but it may help. dunno.
i work in gym shorts, sweats, jeans, carhart, swim trunks - whateva the F i want. lol.

Stop leaning on things...

For real, I dunno. That's kinda how I lost one of my Kershaw's. I'm 99% sure I picked up a trashbag and tossed it in the can in a hurry to beat the trash truck that was coming down the street. Then a little while later, realized my knife was missing and vaguely remembered that I might have felt it pull my knife out of my pocket without me realizing it. That was 15 years ago, but I'm still hypersensitive to such things ever since.
I lost my Kershaw Leek in about the same way the steel handle was slick. So, it would just slide out of my pocket when it caught on stuff.

I originally had the Leek and Chive kinda as a set.

What is it with Kershaw Leeks?

I lost one driving home naked around 2005/2006. Found it a few years later when I pulled the jeep seats to bedline the interior.

Tossed it in a box with some others and actually sold it two years ago to a work buddy for $20 after we were swapping Jeep stories.

Back